The Official Guru3D Mac Thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by orenda635, Sep 20, 2006.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've never really been interested in Linux though. Mac Os X is probably the only unix OS that I like to work with.

2. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    Interested in how you got the Phenom II 550 to work

I have been trying to install ANY Voodoo kernel 9.5.0 and above on my Phenom II 550 with no luck. I have a perfectly working system updated to 10.5.8 with an Athlonx2 7850BE. However, when I updated my cpu to the 550 (did not need to update bios), I get Kernel panics as soon as the screen goes grey with the Apple logo regardless if it's a DVD install or boot partition. Did you use iAtkos v7 to install or do something special? Anything with a default kernel Voodoo 9.5.0 seems to kernel panic. 9.4.0 Modbin or StageXNU work, but I cannot sleep, restart, update via downloader, and most importantly, boot in 64-bit mode. BTW I am not a noob; out of about a dozen AMD/Intel PCs I have turned into a 100% working Hakintosh, simply upgrading the CPU in my system has been extremely frustrating. The fact that you good folk here have current MacOS installed on your Phenom II systems has brought me new encouragement. :3eyes:

3. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well, you can try 2 things.

1.Install from a distro you have with 10.5.5 or lower. Those distros most likely will have more than the voodoo kernel. After that, update the mac to 10.5.8 if you want to, and then install the new 9.8.0 kernel based off the voodoo kernel.
    IF that doesn't work
    2.Create a boot123 cd with the chameleon boot loader. Also include the kexts, kernel, and smbios and anything else you need in a folder called extras. Now for this route, you need a retail copy of leopard.

If you don't choose to do that, then try booting in legacy mode and see what that does for you. As for 64-bit, I don't advise 64-bit with amd, as it's nothing but emulation right now.

4. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Horray! New kernel for Snow leopard that works with amd! :D

5. furian76

furian76 New Member

GPU:
    ATI 3870 512Mb
    Man, that was a long read. Interesting though. I actually think I might try installing OSx on my PC now.

But I do have a question though, it semi answered in the FAQ page, but not really. Has anyone done a side by side comparison of relatively similar machines? Like the current Mac Pro Dual Chip versus a single i975 both using Nvidia 295 or what ever is latest. with 6-12 gigs or ram. or even the older model comparisons. I know we have older model PC's that can easily be compared to any mac. But I can not find any reviews that look anything like the reviews and write ups that you guys do for PC's here.

I am trying to find in which categories each machine peaks now days, or are they pretty much identical since they use similar hardware. But seeing as how the mac uses Xeons, do they have an advantage? Would it be more advantageous to get a Mac Pro Dual chip and install Windows 7 on it?

6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Macs are just PCs nowadays, so they will perform in terms of how the operatiing system and drivers are for that particular platform; other than that, it's just normal pc hardware (well we can discuss about the quality of the components, case, etc but that's another story).

Also, Mac it's allways a little behind on adapting new cpus, etc since they have to test all over again to make sure it works ok with mac os; they're not M$ so they need more time ..... this is completely normal.

Now, up to your question. If I where you , I'd focus my desition in the operating system. Because, if all you want it's to wun Windows 7, or any other windows flavor, just buy a branch PC - or build it yourself.

Now if you are after Mac OS because it suit your needs and you prefer UNIX like O.S then buy a Mac (or build a linux box ;)

I got really tired of Windows Laptos; defrags every x time or the disk go sloowww, antivirus, installing/unistalling stuff gets the O.S. worst, drivers, malware, etc etc etc

So for work, I needed a realiable and almost-no-maintenance laptop for my email, documents, dpf, office suite, and casual programming (i don't much these days anymore). So I went for a MacBook and I never looked back. Morevoer, in case I need to check somewthing on windows, I run a vitual machine with it no prob .

So, I'd buy a Mac because I want Mac OS and its benefits / capabilities (and flaws) ; if not, for the same money, get better hardware.

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The only difference in a mac and a pc is how they're built. The mac series don't use standard building designs for motherboards, instead they're logic boards. Macs also use efi instead of bios. The biggest advantage to a pc vs macs are overclocking. You can't overclock too well on a mac pro because of the memory.

8. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    Has anybody got a core i7 hackintosh to work without problems? Thinking of sellling my macbook pro and building up a rig (Gigabyte EX58 UD5)

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Darwin 10.2 kernel supports i7 native with full vanilla.

10. Dantes

Dantes Active Member

GPU:
    ATi HD 5770 CrossFireX'd
    I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2.66 Ghz, latest generation (the specification's in this account's profile info are of my brother's computer). I use Windows XP Bootcamp for gaming and other stuff, usually I just run it in Mac OS X using Parallels to run XP at the same time. Might install Win 7 on Bootcamp partition sometime soon. But I'm wondering if/how I could overclock the CPU and GPU?

11. zoso_the_hippy

zoso_the_hippy Master Guru

GPU:
    4 evga 3gb 580's liquid
    macs are epic love mine :)

12. bigb159

bigb159 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB
    And I thought I was good at random spam. Not a lot of mac users here. Until apple allows us to mod our own macs indefinitely, it will remain that way.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i was thinking about building hackintosh,a low cost one.
    still undecided,i have yet to justify another computer build
    any hackintosh guru can say a word or two about going apple rogue?

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Perhaps it's a good idea to dual-boot with hackintosh on your current system or use virtualization first?

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i have Mac OSX virtualized using Chimera and Tonymac tools...runs pretty well on my main machine.
    Thing is ,i rather build my own Hackintosh,and if the milk tourn sour,well i can fix my own problems,no point in asking AppleĀ“s geniuses.
    More to it,there are many opinions pro and con,but with the right hardware,one can have a more powerfull computer for less money.

now this stirred my interest.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/hackintosh-lover-s-dream-and-apple-s-nightmare-the-z77mx-quo-aos-motherboard/19160.html