Overclocking with MSI Afterburner (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Renegade8100, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ElektroGuy

ElektroGuy Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ARHD 5870
    Cool, thanks. ;)

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Hi all, is anyone having problems with Overclocking using MSI Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta6 with the latest release drivers from AMD? It was overclocking fine before i upgraded the drivers, now im not having much luck.

I should really run through what i've done and tried to do to fix the problem

1st I installed the new drivers directly over the top of the old, MSI would bluescreen when i tried to apply my loaded profile or change the Mhz directly using the sliders. So i checked that config file settings in Afterburner weren't different after the driver installation (Which i was pretty confident that they weren't, but thought i'd check anyway) turns out they where the same. Then i checked the ULPS setting in Regedit which if i remember rightly reverted back to orginial settings so i modified them accordingly. Still no a go.

2nd I decided **** it, i'll uninstall MSI AB and the new drivers from AMD then reinstall from scratch. So now that its all a fresh install and been rebooted i find i cant change the voltage in MSI AB or move Mhz up beyond 840Mhz which i expected so i went about modding the config file again and all was good. I tried to OC nothing but bluescreen again, ok i thought whats up now, then i remembered ULPS so changed those again accordingly again bluescreen. However something weird happened, it actually changed the clock to 810Mhz then bluescreened, booted back into windows and i could move the slider to 840Mhz and it worked, yay i thought im good to go again.

However i've come home from work, thought right lets get back to 880Mhz and 1350Mhz on the RAM and guess what Bluescreen everytime i hit apply, not really sure what i need to do here.

3. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    So what driver are you using? 10.12's or 11.11a hotfix? Did you run a use driversweeper to remove those tidbits left behind?

4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Hey man, im using the 11.11a hotfix, no didn't run driversweeper i ran the uninstaller from Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

Also i can change the core voltage (mV) and hit apply and i get no problems, soon as i slide the memory or core and hit apply i get BSOD, atikmdag.sys i think comes up, i can always recreate the bluescreen to confirm that.

Oh and Ati Overdrive lets me slide all the way up (840Mhz 1325Mhz) on both the core and memory with no issues.

5. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    It looks like a straight up ulps issue.

6. NRG_XL

NRG_XL Guest

GPU:
    R6950 tfrozr II 2GB
    Hey peepz

My MSI R6950 twin frozr II cannot unlock I read it but does oc and overvolt nice :) :D
    60 degrees celcius at most.

[​IMG]

7. crunchie

crunchie Member

GPU:
    Xfired Gigabyte HD6870's
    Using Windows 7 and I am not seeing the 0000 key in the registry.
    Which one should I be looking in?

[​IMG]

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    it's ok, normally 0000 and 0001 are GPU 1 and 2... but it can be too 0001 and 0002.....

Same goes for Matt and your OC crash.... try disable UPLS in registry. and you should be able to OC..

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Anyways guy, someone have problem for unlock the unofficial overclocking in cfg files ? i set it to "1"... and with last beta 2.1.0 beta 7, it don't unlock it anymore .

No problem with other previous beta release.

( edit: problem solved by use the last final release 1.5 )

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  10. King Kong

King Kong Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    Accompanying your first step it will do the trick.:)

11. Quantum 3Dfx

Quantum 3Dfx Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970 + Nvidia GTS 250
    I have had my 5970 for over a year, no problems except the occasional driver sticking bug which started after 10.5 and I cant get it to hold a decent OC in a few games. namely F1 2010 and EQ 2. I am no big fan of OC because I really don't need to. I have a pretty decent setup with 3 video cards going at once (the 5970+GTS 250) but I was curious why the 5970 card couldn't hold a modest OC hardly at all.

I tried a modest OC of 800,1100 up from 725,1000 most games work except F1 2010 EQ 2 and AVP2 which causes rebooting.

MSI afterburner beta or final doesn't work properly for the 5970, it only OC 1 gpu, I have a reference design and tried to save a profile after using afterburner to slide the clock up to 800,the display shows the clocks only on the 1st GPU not the second, If I go to CCC to check to see whats OC its the the 1st GPU only, I have to use CCC to OC the second GPU and even when this is done, I get the same results, doesn't hold up the overclock for long. even using the overvolt tool by ATi doesn't help to keep the OC, the voltage change does show up in afterburner and it is remembered in the profile but only the 1st GPU is remembered to be OC not the second. following the instructions and disabling the UPLS in the registry still didnt help.

NP I will give MSI another chance because I like the design of it, but for now I finally got the card to HOLD a OC for several hours stressed, what did work was simply using the 11.2 driver to disable the CFX power setting.

[​IMG]

it seems the 5970 CFX is a little (slightly)different than hooking up 2 seperate card's for CFX, and this is prob a low priority problem for AMD right now as they are desperately trying to push there 6800 series to catch up to Nvidia.

well my card is now functioning properly just before its lifespan runs out too lol

I love both Nvidia and ATI and I am one of the few who have them getting along under my hood together.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  12. reehdus

reehdus Guest

GPU:
    Intel GMA4500MHD
    I have a sapphire hd6950 and i've read that playing around with voltage could mess these stuff up because the 3d voltage is vid4 instead of vid3. is there a workaround on msi afterburner for this or should i just clock to the max stable clocks i can get without adjusting voltage?

13. XSCounter

XSCounter Guest

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850
    Hello everyone! I am new here and new to overclocking.

GPU: ASUS EAH6850
    Drivers: Catalyst 11.3
    Afterburner 2.1.0

Can't change Core Voltage. Done all the steps in config file but still no luck. Funnily, can't change voltage in Smart Doctor either..
    Is it because it might be non-reference card?

[​IMG]

Even more surprising to me as a noob, was that I managed to get impressive overclock for this card at stock voltage. And run Kombustor stable for 10 mins at least.

[​IMG]

Any chance that this particular card will be supported in future Afterburner releases? Thanks

14. dvijaydev46

dvijaydev46 New Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 hawk
    My 5770 Haek easily hits 1GHz when the room is air conditioned with no voltage modification. However, with normal ambient (Chennai, India - Really hot and sultry), it needs 1.3v to hit 1GHz. Thanks to MSI Afterburner, overclocking a GPU has become extremely easy.

15. Sir_scorpion

Sir_scorpion Guest

GPU:
    2 * Gigabite6970 2GD W-3X
    Hi guys, i'm new here, but not "newbie" :D
    My system (you can view my profile), have Crossfire-X of
    Gigabite AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GD Windforce 3X
    Manufacturer site is: http://www.gigabyte.com.ro/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3784#ov

The first strange thing that i saw on this card is that i needed not to overclock but to underclock the GPUs from 900 MHz to 870 MHz and stock freq. of the ram (1375MHz) to get a better performance: 2% higher. This is the optimum performance point, verified with MSI Kombustor and also 3D Mark Vantage and 2011. Max temperature pick 85 degrees C. My videos work on Pci-E 8x mode, because the limits of my motherboard.
    http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4944/15minbenchmarknoaa870cu.png

I also have an option on ATI driver that set the power from -20% to +20%. And also the peak performace is at 0% power. When i put the power to +20%, GPUs at 960MHz, and memory to 1440 MHz (5680 MHz real), i haved this results (best perfomance on these settings):
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7113/15minbenchmarknoaa960cu.png
    All the tests was maded on 10 to 10 MHz on both GPU and memory, in order to determinate the peak performance: avg framerate on Kombustor and benchmark points on 3D Mark Vantage and 2011

I don't know what to do ??? I thing this is not a normal behavior on overclocking. Maybe is the source: Corsair TX 750W, too weak or the videocards have not enough voltage.
    I also done all the steps in config file but still no luck with MSI Afterburner, to cange the voltage on both cores. So i cant change core voltages yet.
    Pls help, any idea on that problems that i have ??? :(
    Thank you guys in advance.

16. kacp3r

kacp3r Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 6630m 1Gb
    Hi guys, I'm new and i'm not good in English.

I decided to overclock my AMD radeon HD 6630m in my dell vostro 3450 and got some problem. Before activating activating an unofficial OC MSI Afterburner was displaying normal values (485 mhZ for core, 800 for RAM), but after modification I'm unable to set a clock: Program shows 0 mhz for both GPU and RAM. Do you have any idea, how to do this?

17. EGYGAM3R

EGYGAM3R Guest

GPU:
    HD 6850
    i have gigavyte 6850 1gb oc

but its not working with me

i can't finde voltage

18. Dissolution

Dissolution Guest

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 5850 1gig
    I am having major issues with OCing my Radeon 5850....I was able to adjust the voltage with previous builds of MSI AB but with beta 11 it WILL NOT let me touch the voltage....anyone know the work around to get this to work?

I have an Asus Radeon 5850 TOP edition...Please help me... I was running at 930/1220@1.3v and now I am back to stock thanks to my HDD crapping out.

19. Dynamite2k7

Dynamite2k7 Guest

GPU:
    Asus6850@850/1075 1.160v
    I have the same Asus card as you, and the Asus Smart Doctor that came on the Driver-CD didnt work for me either. But the one from Asus Homepage worked, also letting me change voltage. BUT i highly recommend using Asus's new Overclockingtool called GPU-Tweak. Strangely enough, its only available if you go to the lates Nvidia videocards on Asus Homepage. Dont worry tho the programm works with both AMD/ATI and Nvidia brand cards!

Im very impressed with this new Gpu-Tweak, very costumizable and doesnt give me the occasional microstutters in games i had when i was using SmartDoctor for Overclocking.

Here's a link: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=GPU Tweak&p=9&s=13&os=30&hashedid=n/a

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  20. taimat

taimat Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6790 @965/1190
    i use amd catalyst to OC my graphics card.