ASUS Republic of Gamers Launches Swift PG278Q Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2014.

1. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    I love **** like this.

"HEY EVERYBODY! We've launched product, but you can't buy it for another 3+ weeks, and of course by saying buy we mean preorder. Oh and did we mention the supply is limited and being ferried from the other side of the world on a driftwood raft we built? Look forward to it!"

Jokes aside, the wait for this is becoming agonizing, but in a good way. I just hope I can get my hands on one.

2. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Thanks for heads up on the PB278Q, just ordered mine from New Egg. I have an ASUS monitor that when I try to use displayport the mouse pointer disappears (not on top but underneath the layers), so I use the DVI connection and I have the mouse pointer on top, go figure. It's still an good monitor though (VG248QE).

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I like it but that prices is just wow, that and i want a 24" I dont want Monitor that big, if I did I would use my HDTV instead

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    From all the threads I've been reading there are a lot of people that agree with you on the monitor size. I personally wouldn't mind a 27" but I'm sure that ASUS will probably come out with a Swift Mini @ 24" but only 1080p res. Maybe by then G-Sync will be done on an ASIC and the price will drop.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Next monitor i get wont be for while but it will have gsync, and hopefull 2k at a min prices are just wow atm

6. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Debating if to get this or wait? The price here is $1299nz... Should get around $500 if I were to sell my current screen.

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    The use of a WQHD panel gives it four times (4X) the resolution of 720p

Please forgive me if I'm wrong but that math just looks wrong to me
    720x4= 2880 not 1440 which would only be 2x720

or have I munged the maths somewhere

and pixel density of 109 pixels per inch (PPI) isn't that going to be some big ass pixels to looking at from ~1mtr distance from thee screen

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Beautiful monitor and great to see how thin the bezels are...

Once an IPS model comes out, that will be the time I'll purchase one regardless of price.

Still in love with my current IPS TV. Dem colours... :)

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's not obvious how to describe the screen resolution with just one number or ratio.

I guess that in this case it was supposed to mean that the increase in number of total pixels on screen is square to the increase of pixels in one dimension, as values in 2 dimensions are proportionally increased.
    1280x720 -> 2560x1440, so you get 921600px vs 3686400px. As pretty much nobody plays PC games at "just HD", it's worth repeating, that with WQHD you get 1.6x number of pixels on HD screen.

Regarding pixel density of 109 dpi - if you open Word on a screen with a reference pixel density of 96 dpi (1920x1200 24" monitors are close to that), and put a sheet of paper against the screen, the sizes of real life sheet and sheet on screen will match. With 27" WQHD screen, you'd need a zoom of around 113% in order to make sizes match. Effectively it means that the pixels and size of items measured in pixels will be a bit smaller than on 24" monitor. I think that the size of pixels won't be disturbingly big even when looking from a distance where you can actually touch this monitor.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    TN panels live because they are cheaper than IPS variants, allowed mainstreaming with LCDs.
    Now 1080p IPS can be bought from 100 Euro. You can have 8 IPS screens for price of this one.
    Did TN panel manufacturing technologies become exponentially expensive while IPS went down?
    I don't think so, clear enough image on 120/144Hz is mainly achieved by smart back light than technological improvement in TN itself.

I hate that it gets gaming sticker and price explodes, that it has bit more of anything and price explodes. Yes, being first is first, but for this price people can get so much more quality stuff anywhere else just by sacrificing 1 of those good things here.

Or is price calculation done by pixel*hz*gsync? like twice the pixels, twice the refres and gsync is sure twice as much worth it, so 8x more than 1080p IPS 60Hz?

Someone has to step up their game to get this back into reality.

11. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    But it comes down to this. Even if you have a GSync IPS your still only getting good colours and viewing angles (which is a non issue for most). That's it. So your still getting crappy motion handling, input lag and a slow screen.

I would rather this monitor even with the price tag. The colours are gonna be easily good enough if all you are doing is gaming. It is a new panel with 8-bit colour after all. It does not have to be sRGB cert does it.

12. Saturate

Saturate Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI DirectCU II
    In Denmark it's about 1172 USD right now... Nope... just NOPE.

I was going to buy it, but now, I'l just but something else.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Coming from a Dell U2711 REVA07 IPS, I would glady "sidegrade" to this because of the refresh rate, response time and of course gsync one could even call it an upgrade... the only thing I would have wished more of is the size, a 32" would have been my dream monitor with these specs. Even so, I have my eyes on it. :)

14. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    The pixels would be bigger at 32". Not as nice.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Mine will last untill 2020 i hope.

And by then DisplayPort 1.2a is a new standard, which means Adaptive Sync.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I know, I know, but as I already have a 27" 1440p IPS for 3 years I would love to also have a bigger size with an upgrade, I can fix the ppi with more AA. :nerd:

17. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Stock in Norway too :)

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Kablam ! Review will be up soon.

[​IMG]

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Awesome. Cant wait to read it.

20. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    £600+ for a TN Panel, no thanks, not even with G-Stink. My U2410 is still giving me good gaming on a 780 so this isn't the monitor your looking for, move along!