CCFL vs LED

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheDeeGee, Sep 7, 2013.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I currently have a EIZO FlexScan EV2426W and i'm not liking it one bit, probably because it's LED.

I came from a EIZO FlexScan S2231W which is CCFL. The only issue it had recently is the CCFLs started to bleed thru, and in some situations this was extremely annoying.

I currently have my eyes on the Dell Ultrasharp U2410 which is also CCFL. But i'm wondering if the CCFL bleeding is a common CCFL issue or simply because the old EIZO was still using S-PVA instead of IPS.

Anyone out there know more about this?

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    CCFL isn't worse than LED apart from the possibility of yellowing over time and lower life span. It doesn't affect light bleed - that's the fault of the panel.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Then i guess the bleeding thru my old S2231W gotten the last couple of weeks was due to lifespan/panel. It had like 22000 Hrs of uptime.

I'm gonna try and sell my EIZO EV2436W and go for the Dell U2410. LED is just way to unnatural for me coming from CCFL.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It seems the Dell U2410 is EOL and replaced by de U2413 with LED Backlighting >_>

Maybe Dell isn't such a good choice after all.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It isn't so clear cut. All you are seeing from a backlight is its effect on the color gamut, white temperature, and perhaps brightness uniformity.

There are White LEDs and RGB LEDs used as backlighting, the latter being superior. Not all CCFLs are superior to White LED, plus, lifespan issues, takes time to warm up, uses up more power, runs hotter, etc...

Read up on the monitor in question THEN decide if it's for you based on how it measures, not what backlight it has.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

LED backlighting should be better, it sounds more the case of the screen manufacturer cheaping out. If the manufacturer uses a cheaper panel or cheap quality LED's or manufactures the LED placement etc in a cheap way, it isn't the fault of the technology, it's a fault of the manufacturer.

A properly done LED monitor will always outdo a CCFL IMO.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well my old EIZO FlexScan S2231W was also a Photo Editing screen and coming from such a screen to LED made a huge difference. LED is to clinical and the colors are poor.

Also this current EIZO FlexScan EV2436W has some bad edge bleeding, not to mention a yellowish area in the bottom right corner. I surely didn't expect that from a 500 Euro monitor. People are the shop i bought it from claim they see nothing wrong with it, while other monitors on display show no signs of a yellowish area to my eyes. This also meant they didn't allow me to return it, leaving me to try and sell it.

I think i'm gonna have to look for another photo editing screen which suits me best as i'm used to it.

Got my eyes on the NEC P241W now.

(Oh and EIZO is not a company who cheaps out with their displays)

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I don't have SLI and never will, so 2560x1440 is out of the question. Apart from that i find 24 Inch big already, let alone 27 Inch.

Also it's Edge-lit, what i experienced so far is that CCFL has a way better and even backlighting coverage. I don't want LED anymore unless it's Full LED which basicly ends up being LED TVs rather than PC Monitors.

What i'm looking for:

• 16:10
    • Max. 1920 x 1200
    • 24 Inch
    • Backlighting CCFL
    • IPS
    • Height adjustment

The Asus PA246Q would be an option, i just really don't like that distracting ruler around the edge.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Its pretty difficult to find what youre looking for, honestly. We went over what the backlight impacts already.

The monitor being clinical suggests a higher color temperature than what youre used to. That doesnt sound solely like a backlight issue. Do you Have a colorimeter?

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yes, it's going to be quite hard. CCFL has been largely phased out of the industry given the higher manufacturing cost and extra weight they add.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well there is plenty of CCFL monitors, they just gonna cost me. Then again my old EIZO FlexScan S2231W also was like €600,- back in 2008. But i enjoyed every second of it unlike this LED monitor.

Maybe i'm just picky.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I have the u2413 and can attest to it being a solid choice.

It even has gaming mode for sub 5ms input lag, and a change in overall color temperature and brightness etc. it also has movie mode, which I use all the time as I like the slightly dimmed blue/cold temp it gives images and is great when doing editing and cg/mg.

Good thing is that whatever monitor you buy you can send back if it doesn't suit you, but he dell u2413 is solid with great image "pop".

Ninja edit: it's a 10bit panel as well, zero banding

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I hooked up my EIZO FlexScan S2231W again with is CCFL and S-PVA and what i like so much about it, is that a Black Image is pure Black and doesn't show any Glow in the corners.

With the FlexScan EV2436W a Black image shows really bad corner glow which really bother me.

I would get a CX240, but all reviews say that the 2 Fans inside are quite annoying. Since my PC is whisper silent aswell i doubt i could live with that noise of it.

15. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX-770
    Did you find what you were looking for? I'm currently in the same boat as you, and very disappointed with the current offerings. Apparently, there just is nothing that beats a good old PVA panel. I bought an Asus VN279QLB, an AMVA panel, and the colors are cold, the blacks are grey and the backlight bleeds from everywhere. It most likely is going to be the case with most IPS panels, unless with expensive Eizo ones...

Maybe you should buy a new S2231 :) I'm thinking of going in that direction, a 16:10 22" PVA from Eizo while they're still available..