NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SE

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA is preparing to release a GeForce GTX 660 SE according to some unrevealed sources over in China. This card reportedly competes with the Radeon HD 7850, it promises performance between the GeFor...

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SE

2. Wipspeed

Wipspeed Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gam
    Looks interesting. if the sources are true
    then this card might be the right one for my PGM :D

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I have just ordered a GTX 660 for our second system, at least they haven't decided to release a slightly faster model. Having said that, this year has ended up being extremely good for the consumer, we have very capable graphics cards in every price range. I don't remember it ever being this good.

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Your's and the cat? or is this the cat we're talking to now? hehe

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You might have been talking to cats, SLI. But we won't hold that against you. It's perfectly fine with us.

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Makes sense, the hd 7850 is in a really sweet spot for people short of a few extra bucks.

7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    dammit, I thought the 650ti was supposed to be the last 6 series.....i should have waited but then I would have been waiting forever. Ill be curious to see how it performs. So its basically a 650Ti with a 192 bit bus? The whole reason I got the 650ti was because of its overclocking ability and it was cheap. Great bang for buck, couldnt be happier with it. Hppefully it will have SLI capabilities.

8. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    yeah, looks like a 650Ti with a 192bit bus and boost clocks. Satisfied with my 660 so far (and small, the SE would most likely even smaller like the 650 Ti), does well on a 1280 x 1024 screen XD (tho im also using it on a 1080p currently). Releasing this, would prolly bring the prices down of competing cards.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  9. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    I think this is what the 650Ti should have been. Anything with the Ti suffix should be an adept card. Unfortunately I don't consider the 650 Ti to be a good card as it stands.

10. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I find it to be amazing for the price. We most likely have different ideas of what "amazing for the price" is but as I mentioned before, the big attraction to this card for me was the fact that it overclocks so high. Reviews seem to have mixed results but the anandtech review shows it the best. They took 4 brands of the 650ti and they got the exact same overclock with all 4 cards. 1175 core and 6600 memory, which btw is a 1.2 ghz oc on the memory. Guess what? My card hit exactly that. 5-9 fps from overclocking? Ill take that for $150 thanks. That puts it in 560ti territory. It plays everything pretty damn close to max @ 60 fps vsync @1080p.

But I do agree with you, this card is what the 650Ti should have been. Its the exact same card, just with a wider bus which it could definetly use. Oh well, im stuck with this card for a while haha. The wife will kill me if I try to spend any more on my rig :p

11. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    Yeah, im not saying the 650Ti is a bad card I just think the idea of a card being Ti is that like the old GT cards they are **** hot from the off...

I cant really comment when I'm still running a 5850! :)

12. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    The Geforce GTX 650Ti is a awful card for the price, for an extra £20 you can get a ATi HD7850 which spanks it all over, with it being 26~60% faster which makes up for it being 14% more expensive.

13. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    there are just folks, specially in my region where £20 can be quite a big deal. But yeah, i remember the time where the "Ti" is reserved for the higher end GPUs (heck even the GTX name is usually for high end only)

14. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Unless you dont want an AMD card or deal with their drivers.... been there, done that.

15. TeGarchoFF

TeGarchoFF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo
    There's already a slightly faster model, de 660ti, 'bout 5~10% faster than the GTX660.

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I should reword that to at least they haven't decided to release another slightly faster model at a similar price point.

17. TeGarchoFF

TeGarchoFF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo
    Got it. I'm prone to some misunderstandings, english is not my native language :)

18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

No, your English is very good. It was my fault, I should have been clearer. :)

Also, I received the GTX 660 today. Seems like a pretty decent card for the price, pity it's only paired with a Q6600 running at 3.2GHz. I might clock the CPU to 3.6GHz, but at 1080p it probably will not matter in most games.