Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by NiukNiuk, Apr 27, 2010.

1. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    I hope at the end of this awesome media blitz in a few days they give us a release date cause they got me jonesing for this already.

2. Zootre

Zootre Member

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DC2
  3. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I still occasionally play GW1. Easily the best bang for buck game I have ever played. I've clocked around 1800h on it since it was first released. All with no monthly fees. It is very rare for other games to last me even a tenth of that. I can't wait for GW2. It looks even more epic.

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    The graphics are a slight improvment from the previous one. Im going to assume its still DX9?

I played the first game and first expansion for a few hundred hours and I will be picking this one up just to mess with every so often.

5. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
  6. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The original GW is what got me into and made me build my first PC.

7. Nexevo

Nexevo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX275 GS
    I kind of quit GW for the time being, kind of feel I've spent enough time on it. Had some good fun though.

Really looking forward to playing this. Haven't followed GW2 news for awhile so thumbs up for the thread Niuk :D

8. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    You're welcome :)

I kinda quit it too nearly a year ago. I still log in sometimes to see skill updates etc...and I'll surely log in again when this War in Kryta thing will begin.

9. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I played GW alot. I had only Prophecies campaign and Eye of the north. I was going to buy the rest until i got into WoW.
    Now im just hoping there will an Auction House similar to WoW's AH.

10. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Yeah selling/buying thing is one of the biggest problems in GW1. There was some sort of "trading outpost" planned by arenanet, and discovered in 2008: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Xunlai_Market, but the idea was apparently abandoned...probably to focus ressources on guild wars 2 developpement.

11. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    same here! It was one of those games I upgraded my video card for and then I eventually built my first PC. :)
    I really hope they keep the same type of skill setup with only allowing eight. Has it changed? Its one of the reasons why I cant play other MMO's. I feel that it takes much more skill to play with less skills than it is to have everything out in front of you. Thats just no fun, and I perfer to challenge not only others, by myself as well.

12. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Yeah the skill system has changed (well arenanet say that it "evolved"):
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/part-one/
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/part-two/
    And a Clarification from a community manager on gw2guru forums.
    Warning: lots of reading :)
    No more secondary profession (I can understand this change), and the skillbar seems a bit "weird" now: 10 skills, 2 reserved for elite skill and self healing, 5 skills depending of the weapon combo you use (they change depending of the context of the battle/weapons you choose) and 3 "free to choose" skills...This new system favors "profession combos" and so it favors grouping.

[​IMG]

So all in all this new combat system feels weird, but I reserve my judgement until I try the beta :)

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  13. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I\\\'ve never played GW but I might give it a go this time.

Is there any PVP in this game? I know it is called Guild Wars but there is practically no PVP in World of Raidcraft, so I just want to make sure.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  14. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Yes there are a multitude of pvp modes in this game:
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Pvp
    In fact guild wars prophecies (the first chapter that came out in 2005) 'pve mode was made to be an introduction to its pvp modes (that's why the character progression is so slow in prophecies).
    Guild wars Factions was also made around pvp (with the introduction of alliance battles). Nightfall and eye of the north are more pve-oriented.

I don't know much about pvp in this game, I tried it a bit (and play random arenas sometimes, to test builds^^), but I gave up "serious pvp" because it's too elitist for my taste :)

15. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    It cannot get anymore elitist and cruel than EVE, where you can lose months of work in seconds of adrenaline and rage.

I\'ll give this game a go with my wife, might be a good game for us.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    this will be my next rpg... Last time I got hooked on a rpg game was when I spent 100s of hours on sacred 2. I liked GW and this will be even better. Any news on the release date?

17. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    No estimated release date.
    Arenanet didn't say anything on this subject.
    NCsoft said, during one of their "conference call" (when they publish their financial results, every trimester), that their two future big titles (blade & soul and guild wars 2) are expected for a 2011 release.
    We may have a beta this year, although nothing is certain (rumors).

18. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    if they are actually showing gameplay now, expect the BETA to be later this year(maybe in Nov like the first GW in 04') and the game to be out by next april or so

19. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Yeah the first trailers were a bit poor graphically (lots of "placeholder" character models, poor graphic effects), and these new little videos (and screenshots) of the elementalist show a real progress. I'm also hoping for a beta by the end of the year.
    I remember reading that arenanet said that they want the beta to be available "not far away" from the final release date.
    more information in the official faq
    and on its wiki website

20. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Last edited: May 12, 2010