ADATA Releases XPG Z1 DDR4 Overclocking Memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ADATA Technology, a leading manufacturer of high-performance DRAM modules and NAND Flash application products, today launches the first DDR4 overclocking memory of XPG series - XPG Z1, which supports ...

ADATA Releases XPG Z1 DDR4 Overclocking Memory

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    is this the stuff that's £275 for 8gb?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm curious if you can take off the coolers to help yourself with space around the cpu if not going by h2o, with the low voltage and all.

4. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    CL 17-17-17 isn't that too much ......

5. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    DDR4 is actually slower than the best of the best DDR3. Not very exciting honestly. CAS latency is terrible in DDR4. I bet even my 2400mhz cas 10 ram would give it a run.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  6. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    ...its going to take time to improve the timings on ddr4...i will wait for skylake...

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If i was going x99 i would wait for the refresh, less teething troubles, faster performance and cheaper probably. Gonna be alot of bios updates with first batch of x99, things not working properly etc.

8. dbogss

dbogss Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix-RTX-2080
    ...yap for sure do not take the first release ,wait for revisions on mb and overall refresh :banana:

9. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I may sink an i7 broadwell into my z97 if a game needs it, apart from that, skylake.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not to seem like a noob but the whole idea of "overclocking RAM" never made sense to me. I personally never OC my RAM itself, and when I overclock based on FSB, I make sure RAM is as close to it's original speed as I can, while increasing the timings by 1 or 2 just in case (not sure if that's necessary). I overclock nearly every system I own, except laptops.

I can never really tell if it means "this RAM is highly overclockable" where unless you're using an IGP, seems like a pointless activity. Or, does it mean "this RAM will help you overclock your CPU better" which also begs the question "how"? One thing I've always noticed about these "special" sticks of RAM is they always come with a heat spreader, they have horrible timings, and are a little more tolerant of voltage changes. But do they actually yield better results than a cheaper stick at the same settings?

11. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Just like the jump from DDR2 to 3, there will be little to no performance increase in games. The same happened with the jump from dual core to quad, most games still only properly use 2 cores and frigging 32bit to 64 bit done nothing and neither has DX 10 or 11 unless you care about poorly optimized crap like Tessellation.

PC gaming has been technically boring for 10 years, the last good thing to happen was DX9c.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The only reason DDR4 is really appealing (to me) is because it has a lot of potential for IGPs, and it supports extremely high capacities (that for whatever reason DDR3 couldn't do). But, I hope there won't be a DDR5. Latencies are still pretty bad and we're paying more for stuff like huge L3 caches on the CPU because of it.

I have to agree though - software still isn't really taking advantage of newer technologies. Some people just need to be left behind, especially when it comes to gaming. With modern AAA titles, if your GPU can't support DX10, not only will it likely struggle to play the game at low detail but so will the rest of your system. I'm greatly in-favor of MS forcing 64 bit on Windows 9, supposing that actually happens.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What's that, igpu?

If yes then it will be useless @ Haswell-e since it has no igpu :)

14. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Overclocking RAM can give a nice performance boost.. even on newer systems. RAM hungry programs will show it the most, but even for general use, the system will tend to feel a lot smoother.

If you overclock the RAM and keep the same timings, your overall latency goes down. Latency is in clock ticks, not in actual time. So 1333Mhz CL7 is going to have quite a bit more latency than 1600Mhz CL7.

It is fairly easy to make up a chart to figure out latency numbers vs RAM speed.

Even games can see a nice jump in smoothness with higher RAM speeds, even if the FPS doesn't go up.

Back in the day (LGA 1366), I ran a test on two systems running the same CPU (i7-920) One was running at 3.8Ghz and the other was at 4.2Ghz.

The 3.8Ghz one was running the RAM at DDR3-2000, while the one at 4.2Ghz was running the RAM at 1600Mhz. The program I used for testing was very RAM hungry.

The 3.8Ghz machine was 25% faster than the 4.2Ghz machine for the same exact test.

15. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Heard DDR4 is last iteration, that's it will be no DDR5.

Companies looking to different technology DRAM stacking/NVM (non volatile memory) aka phase change memory/memristor etc

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

16. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    Yup everything RAM and flash is going vertical. I know at least for graphics memory the first gen HBM is 5x more bandwidth than fastest GDD5. It's going to be insane.

17. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Hopefully by the time intels second gen i7 to support ddr4 is out they will be much better and cheaper.