My motherboards on fire

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Öhr, Aug 2, 2014.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Really? 2 Volts on DDR2 isn't excessive. In fact, many modules required 2.1 V or even higher to work at the stated speed. Even default RAM at 1.8 V should have handled that okay. No doubt the issue was that your motherboard had a faulty capacitor anyway, and the 2 V just pushed it across the line a bit sooner.

2. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    nothing was overvolted on my system except the cpu dynamically, depending on the load (managed by the mobo itself). as for overclocking, it was again only my cpu that received a speedboost. everything else was stable and pretty well cooled.

again, the system did not change in the last four months and caught on fire while idling alone in my room. how this happened, i got no clue.

also, here is the whole collection of all the pictures I took. i also cleaned the burned plastic partially: below it are the copper circuits of the mobo that warped, broke and peeled off the board due to the heat: http://imgur.com/a/YasPa#0

high res ****fest :(

3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Dunno, i think it was 2v if i remember. What i know is that it burned the memory modules on the two sticks and the slots.

4. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Much of the damage there seems to be centered around the part of the pcie slot that provides power. The connector on the sound card shows this as well, as all the pins before the key notch are fried but the data pins after the notch are clean. Have you taken a closer look at the sound card under the RF shield?

Maybe its possible that something shorted on the sound card and put a very large current load on the motherboard. It could also have been a defect in the motherboard and was just a matter of time before something shorted a 12v line to a ground plane and poof. Either way, I probably wouldn't put that sound card into another system - who knows what might happen.

5. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    i did take off the red shield of the card, but the card looks like brand new. nothing burst or burned on there, which I also thought was strange. Ill send the card in to creative, still have warranty for that one at least.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I ran 1066 dd2 at 2.1v for many years. They are all still functional. They were rated at 2.1v.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    A good question to ask is why did it happen in the slot in which the SBZ was plugged in. The SBZ might have shorted and the motherboard has taken the damage. How do you know for sure it's the motherboard that shorted out? Did you test the SBZ in another system, or is it already dead and not shorting anything it's plugged into anymore (assuming it had a short in the first place)?

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wouldn't try the sb z in a working rig. Its burnt up. The other components I would test in a back up rig or something cheap. Something might be salvageable in all this fubar.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    From the pics the soundcard is toast and the op is going to RMA it.

10. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    how much power can a soundcard suck? afaik 1x PCIE is rate at up to 25W. maybe the soundcard was liking that juice just a little bit too much... though i doubt that. i didnt even use a surround system with it: just plain old headphones, 2.0 speakers and a microphone.

11. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    True indeed!!!!!

Poor design in MOBO!!!

Might I ask? What kind of board was it?

Must have been one hell of a big azz spider!!!

12. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Aus P8P67 Deluxe

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Probably not that much but a lot could had factor in such as the Power Supply overloading the soundcard or other hardware components. Did you smell any burning around the Power Supply after this happened?

14. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    its near to impossible to pinpoint additional sources of this burned plastic smell. my whole room still smells like it. i had to thoroughly clean most of my components to get the smell of it. cleaning the PSU is impossible without voiding warranty

15. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    finally, my new motherboard is here:
    [​IMG]
    picture of the CPU socket. more pics here: http://imgur.com/a/0tD5N

so tell me asrock, have you ever heard of QUALITY CONTROL?!

also, how lucky can I possibly get?!

16. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Wow from a Corsair 860i? I wonder how thats happened, PM Greybeard on the Corsair forums and show him, if its under warranty he will get it sorted ASAP.

18. MOAB

MOAB Guest

GPU:
    Galax GTX 950 Sniper OC
    Sad, i wonder what caused it.

19. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    lucky misfortune.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    ^^^

Hi XXX,

Our Engineering Team already tested all the parts and based on the results, our PSU unit caused the damage to your system.

As compensation, we will go ahead and replace your AX860i (CP-9020037-EU) with a brand new unit.
    For your Motherboard, we will reimburse you for $120.00.
    For your Sound Card, we will reimburse you for $60.00.
    Death of Dog $
    Death of Family $
    Death of Neighbours $

Total Reimbursement: $180.00

The following components tested fine, and we will be returning them to you:
    CPU

[...]

Thank you for choosing Corsair and have a great day!

Regards,

XXX X.
    Customer Service Group

---

Looks like they/you were lucky they didn't have to fill in the prices of the above