PCI-e overclock safe or not

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cozee, Jun 26, 2007.

1. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer
    Is it safe,I heard to get the bandwidth(mines 79.9gb) of upto date cards 7900gtx,GX2,8800's,etc you need to up the pci-e clock.I thought these had to be locked down or is there a safe spot.If there is what is best for a 8800gts...:backfire:

2. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    where did you get that number from ? , i thought the bandwidth was 64gb for the gts

3. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Well 1950 x (320 ÷ 8) = 78000MB/s

Anyway, i haven't heard about this overclocking of the PCI-e bus. I would imagine it isn't important for the memory bandwidth since the RAM is on the video card itself and it's accessed on board.

This is all pure guess work though.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX SLI @ 650/2000
    You are misunderstanding memory bandwidth vs PCI-E bandwidth. The 2 are not related and upping the PCI-E clock with not help the memory bandwidth.

Your boards PCI-E clock is 100Mhz (as are all current PCI-E boards) and upping the frequescy will not really help performance of the card at all, and will only lead to instability of your system. The only time that upping the PCI-E clock will have any impact is in a dual card setup. But even then it's very small.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007

5. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  6. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    Memory Bandwidth is Clock Speed multiplied by Memory Bus divided by 8.

7342MB/s is 7GB/s, it's divided by 1000.

7. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    How does increasing the PCI-E frequency lead to an instability of your system? I run mine at 110 Mhz 24/7 with 0 issues at all. In fact, it has helped to increase my overclock slightly.

PCI-E frequency increases are almost necessary when nearing the maximum of your cards overclock. ATI cards benefit much more than Nvidia cards.

8. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    I have heard increasing it slightly does help to stabilize overclocking as well, but 10Mhz isn't exactly going to open the flood gates in terms of bandwidth.

i have also heard that increasing doesn't help increase performance in the slightest and that anything more than a dozen or so Mhz's will most likely lead to instability, at least that's what i have gathered from what i've read.

9. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    This is mostly true, yes. Basically increasing the PCI-E frequency helps create a more stable overclock. It doesn't directly increase performance or bandwidth in any way.

10. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer
    Well It didnt do anything I ran the ntune to find sweet spot,went to bios changed it ran 3d 06 but nothing.Just the chance of a major crash...:puke3:

11. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    It's never affected my system in a negative way. Many people do it and get positive results when maxing out the clocks of their cards. It's possible your motherboard or card is much more affected by the increased PCI-E frequency.

12. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer
    Nothing has crashed when Ive upped pci-e clock but ive gained no increase in performance..So what I meant was If Theres no increase then theres no point in risking a crash,its pointless me clocking something when its not recommended and it did nothing for me anyways have got my card running stable at 655/1980 at mo goin for 655/2000 next if I get instability is this when I try upping pci-e to see if this helps..Yes:flip2:

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The only time you should adjust the speed of the PCI-E clock is if you are experiencing problems and this can sometimes lead to a fix.

14. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer

This is what I meant when I said,If I O\c anymore and become unstable then to try pci-e clock...

Get ur Ocz Platinums bumped up there good for 500mhz...

15. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    No they aren't, they cant even do 490, that is why I'm running a divider.

16. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer

Maybe the 2x512mb are different ive had mine to 500+ a few mhz orthos stable,I also have to run a divider for some reason they dont like being clocked from 400mhz(ive also got 2 more identical sticks that work in every comp but mine),I dont know if this is an issue with modules or mobo,but I run 333mhz divider.At 460 the timings are close to stock,also on 1T at 2.9volts

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Sorry but you fail today's math test. I'd like to give you an A for effort, but... F.

320 bit bus * 800MHz memory / 4 = 64,000 Megabytes per second

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007