GeForce GTX 690 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 3, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We review the all new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690. NVIDIA took two of their best Kepler GK104 GPUs placed it onto one card topped it off with a very nice and dandy cooler and calls this symbiosis of components...

More...

2. swISS

swISS Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 Ti
    The price is just like.. Woah.

But still a really nice card and review. If i had the money.. :)

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    When you were overclocking, what stopped you from going further? The voltage limit or temps? I feel like without voltage control this card isn't worth buying for someone who plans on dropping water on it. I wonder if watercooled unlocked versions will be around the same price, since clearly that chromium ingrained diamond plated gold infused silver decorated platinum bedazzled heatsink takes a fair chunk of money to make.

Card does look sick with that cover on it though. And if a robber comes in you can probably bludgeon them to death with it.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    wish it was priced for 666 (the number of the beast :p )

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Looks good, especially the metal casing, and the performance, though I'm not such a fan of the pricetag (even if it is close to my 7970 CFX setup, as is the performance).

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Amazing card no doubt but the price!...

Still i would rather buy two 680 with custom coolers than a single 690.

Great review as always!

By the way, any news regarding the possible GF100???

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Have to agree with you there, that's one hell of a card! :p
    Scaling seems pretty good for the most part. What's surprising is the temps being better than running a single 680.
    Would be nice to have that kind of performance :p

8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Amazing card, but I will wait and see what AMD brings with the 7990 before I consider anything.

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    great card..

10. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for this great review. The card looks absolutely stunning, however...

Preorders are for $1300+ converted to USD - nothx. For $1k I might consider it, as GTX 680 costs around $700 here (again, converted to USD).

11. actionjksn

actionjksn Member

GPU:
    EVGA & BFG GTX 275 SLI
    Gtx690

This is a really well made card! I hear a lot of people complaining about the price but this card is not made for regular [average income] people, just like a Ferrari or even a Corvette are not made for regular people. If you are running a for profit business and you can sell a product for a certain price and can sell as much as you can produce. Then you would be doing disservice to your company and your shareholders to sell it for less. Especially being a product that nobody actually even needs. This is purely a luxury product. I think the price would be much more offensive if they had produced it in the cheapest possible way. Such as using a mediocre heatsink and a plastic case with just a sticker instead of the LED label. So these kind of cards are pretty much for people who can blow a grand and still not have to worry about making their bill payments. Or some kid or young man with a job who still lives in moms an dads basement rent free. There are plenty of GTX 560's and AMD 777's for regular people like us. I'm still using a pair of overclocked GTX 275's with an overclocked Q9550. So I really appreciate this site still including some older cards like the GTX285 and 295 in the benchmarks, I hope you will continue to do so. It's nice to see roughly how my system still compares to the new stuff.
    One minor nitpick, the song "Sweet dreams are made of these" is by "The Eurythmics"

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Going out on a limb and saying the best dual gpu card of 2012.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2918

14. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Magic! :eyebrows:

Oh and @IPlayNaked, that article is from 1/17/2010 :3eyes:

15. Ash

Ash Active Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI
    I've been a Guru3d reader for many years (This is how my bookmark reads, just to give you an estimate: nVIDIA Geforce FX Ti 4 4200 4600 MX Titanium ati radeon 8500 9500 9700 Pro - Guru of 3D PC Hardware Reviews) and I absolutely love the reviews you guys are doing.

That said, please, for the love of everything that is holy, fire whoever it is that does the editing on your pieces and get someone that can actually proof read a review before it is published!
    The amount of typo's and incoherent sentences is making my eyes bleed!

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Of course it is, GF100 came out in 2010.

Knowing him, i will assume IPL knew that H83 likely meant GK110 lol.

Great card, and the first dual GPU card that i actually like, just a pity that its exactly twice the price of 2 GTX680's and likely going to be hard to find, and seems like as per usual OCUK have most of the stock.

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    rsf gkfdsbgklfnk ruined it.

The goal was to get him to say "I meant GK100" at which point I would link a kepler article.

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Awsome Review , great card and the fastest card at the moment , me Likes this card a lot , but the price not so :/ , for me it would be $1,000 + Tax + international Shipping = Lots and Lots of money. like i said before im skipping this whole generation of GPUs Nvidia and AMD. Im digging the cooler and the low temps :).

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Spankingly good card, great review.

20. dragomirc

dragomirc Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 965/1930/4400
    This is the first time ever that dual GPU card reach 98% performance of 2 same GPU cards in SLI or CF.

Yeah and after all those years you fifth post is all about typos.
    BTW look for the oftamologist to stop your eyes bleeding.