Windows 8 marketshare now 2.79 percent

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Net Applications' operating system marketshare date shows the uptake of Microsoft's Windows 8 continues to be rather slow. Despite being installed on nearly every new PC, Windows 8's marketshare wa...

Windows 8 marketshare now 2.79 percent

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Wow, worse than I expected and I'm not a fan.

3. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
  4. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    It's a shame Windows 8 recieved such a bad rep for nothing. You could opt to use a feature or not. Most people don't even use the Start Menu for more than one click.

Windows 8 is a great OS and personally, after using Windows 8 for a certain period of time, Windows 7 feels old to me.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i think people are pretty lazy today,they want the latest thing ,but to lazy to adjust to this ¨something¨new.
    my 2 cents,

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Windows 7 looks/feels great, Windows 8 looks/feels old.
    That is 'one' of its major failings.
    What are MS thinking!?

Its bad rep is justly deserved.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    each one of us is entitled to our opinion.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Aye :)
    It needs to be factual though.

9. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Then state your facts. I've been using Windows 8 since launch and have had ZERO problems with it. It took me a couple of days tops to get used to the Metro UI and now that I have, I wouldn't want to go back. My computer boots twice as fast compared to Windows 7 as well. And how exactly does Windows 8 seem old to you??? The start button has been around since 1995, time for a change. The reason Windows 8 is the way it is with live tiles is because it cuts the cost of development when you are using a common platform across multiple devices. It's works fine with a mouse and keyboard so kill that argument.

You don't like Windows 8 for your own reasons and that's it.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    When it takes a computer enthusiast 15 minutes to find out how to shut down, something is definitely wrong...

11. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    If it takes you 15 minutes to figure out how to shut down Windows 8, you are hardly a computer enthusiast. :lol:

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I did, whats wrong with you?
    You're acting like a fanboy.

Windows 8 does look old.
    windows 8 feels old because it looks old.

No advanced GUI features to make it look nice is a shot into the past.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Windows 8 works fine but only once I'd installed Start8 and I honestly think I would have switched back to Windows 7 if it wasn't for that as finding stuff otherwise was just too frustrating and long-winded having to constantly use Search. I rarely use the Modern UI Start screen to be honest as most of the apps are too simplistic and clunky to use compared with the desktop versions. Also, the way the Modern UI works feels jarring alongside the desktop - I have to swipe down with the mouse to close Modern UI apps but I can click on X to close windows or select quit in games on the desktop. Where's the consistency? Despite what Microsoft claim the Modern UI is very user unfriendly unless you're using a touchscreen. Also, Windows 8 does have some annoying bugs though such as the one where file overwrite prompts open behind open windows and stuff like that, which I never had with any of the previous versions of Windows.

In its favour Windows 8 does feel faster than Windows 7 and I've not seen a single warning about how my desktop is running slow after exiting a game (so removing Aero Glass was a pretty good idea)! ;)

14. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Fanboy? No. I'm not slamming Windows 7, I've used Windows 8 extensively since launch and find it smoother. You are really not explaining why you find Windows 8 old, what in the past are you comparing it to?

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It doesnt take a leap of faith to understand :rolleyes:
    Aero looks nice, windows 8 doesnt have it and looks as bland as Windows XP.
    Which is what... 12 years old.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I resorted to pressing the power button in the end. It's just so unintuitive.

17. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    I was a pretty late adapter to windows 7 as I just had absolutely no reason or need to upgrade from XP, now I've gotten a new laptop which has windows 8 & I've gotten used to it although the tiles do look like something from aol back in the day and some dos menu systems in the end I don't care really how the OS looks, as long as it plays the games and does the programs I want. I do wish the tiles were optional without having to download more programs tho.

18. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    There should just be a Windows 8 interface rant thread, which would be the equivalent of a soundproof room in which people can scream to let out their disgust of the interface and then move on. Cause seriously, after I made all my points about it and got it out of my system, I didn't care anymore.

Also still waiting to hear how Windows Blue goes.
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-next-windows-blue-test-build-said-to-be-a-public-preview-7000011728/

My guess is everyone will switch to it from XP.

19. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Given the simplified interface of W8 intended for non-desktop systems it's obvious that the markets for desktop computing and gaming rigs don't want to go there. No surprises here.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's your opinion....hardly fact. To me, Aero is ugly as hell and Windows8 has a fresh feel to it.