Any chance of Steamroller NOT working on AM3+ boards?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by DSparil, May 27, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Issue is that gaming is a cache latency sensitive application. Many people buy these CPUs for gaming. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass since most of my load isn't gaming, it's VM work. They're not cache latency sensitive application.

Though it's kinda sad when you compare it to my 3570K's memory/cache benchmark. Hopefully even if AMD doesn't actually fix it, it'll still be improved.

[​IMG]

As for the leaks, like all leaks, I take it with a grain of salt until release. Those numbers are likely EEs anyways so they might not represent the actual numbers that we'll see in Steamroller. The second problem is that Steamroller FX CPUs are not slated for 2013, last heard, AMD's releasing them Q1 2014 instead... we'll have to see if this is true or not. Hopefully they do release it in Q4 2013 but wouldn't be surprised otherwise.

deltatux

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah, btw a new buld of AIDA64 Cache Benchmark will be released next month with proper multithreaded support.

This was apparently posted on XS forums earlier....yeah the latency sucks (only 4Ghz tho) but damn - dat bandwidth....:eek:

Well it looks good on paper at least. haha

[​IMG]

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You sure you're not taxing your cache right now? 10.1ns for L2 and 46.8ns for L3 looks very high for cache latency there eh?

deltatux

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    LOL! that screenshot belongs to some dude over at XS, not me.

If I had results that bad I'd keep it to myself and not post on a public forum... :D

This is mine;

[​IMG]

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, that looks more like it. However for server load, that XS member would have the advantage since server loads aren't sensitive but benefits on pure bandwidth.

deltatux

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah that's true... I don't even game much anymore myself to be honest.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Maybe time to tweak your system to see if you can get more cache bandwidth (even though it might cost you in terms of latency :p?)

deltatux

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well I do have a soldering iron at home, I'm sure I could put it to good use......

Just have to be careful not to poke holes in the mobo. lol

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, true true, good luck lol.

deltatux

10. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Don't say that... :bang: my Phenom II is serving me well but i want to make a last cpu upgrade...

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Not sure if it's worth the wait, you're waiting for early 2014 for Steamroller FX cores as AMD is only rolling out Steamroller APUs in 2013.

deltatux

12. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I can wait... i don't see the current FX line as a true upgrade, and that means i would need to spend my money on a Core i5 and a good Z87 mobo.. too much money for my pocket now :)

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Haswell isn't much an upgrade either since Intel has signalled that they care more about power consumption than performance.

It would make more sense and save you money going Piledriver or Steamroller since you already have the board to do so.

deltatux

14. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yes that's my idea :)

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It appears that Steamroller will gain the AVX2 instruction set (and if not Excavator will). I won't link where I got that from, but it's from maybe, or maybe not, a reliable source. If you want the link PM me lol., you will see why I didn't want to post it. I would suggest that if anyone does PM me for it that they do the same, not only because it's not confirmed, but to respect the person's privacy if it is real and he let slip something he wasn't supposed to.

16. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I am really beginning to wonder what type of prices were going to see on Steamroller. I must say, I expect a bit of a price jump over the initial release pricing of the first two generation Bulldozer based cores. Depending on the pricing, my budget and the performance differential, I may opt for the 6 core Steamroller when they come out next year! I suppose time will tell.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Doubt AMD really has the position to price them much more than they are priced now. I don't believe the performance gain is substantial enough to justify it.

deltatux

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Just hope the Steamroller equivalent versions of the FX-8770 and FX-9000 have a TDP a little bit lower than 220W.

19. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I would like to see them gain some serious ground in single threaded performance. Say within 10-15% of ivy clock for clock. Though i think it's wishful thinking. I would just like to see their designs be able to compete more on a clock for clock basis.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's what Steamroller is meant to deliver as part of AMD's road map.

IB turned out to be Intel's Bulldozer and that is great news for AMD, they may just get back in the race yet. Fingers crossed. :nerd: