Windows 8.x has marketshare of 9.30 percent

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Honestly, Windows 7 was the most successful Microsoft OS of all time.
    Any logical person would have continued to expand on what works, and not gone and try to re-invent the wheel.
    Theres a reason why pure desktop environments have endured for decades and will continue to do so.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Windows 7 is successful because Microsoft commands a vast majority of the marketshare, Vista was a marketing failure and XP was around for nearly a decade. If it wasn't the most successful Microsoft OS it would literally go down as the worst blunder any company has ever made ever, there was literally no way they could **** that launch up.

As for expanding, yeah, tell that to companies like Blackberry, Kodak, Yahoo, Sun and all the other companies who sat on their golden thrones and failed to innovate. Worked out really well for them.

Pure desktop environments were the only choice for decades. This is literally like someone saying "automobiles are going to fail, horse and buggy reign supreme" four years after the initial car was developed. Mobiles already surpassed desktops in 2006. They now outsell desktop hardware 2-1. As the power of mobile computing gets better and network infrastructure improves there will be no reason to have a desktop. Just a tablet/phone and a dock.

Look I'm not going to pretend like the unified interface 8 employ's is flawless, it's not. But they definitely made the right bet. Desktops are going out the window and mobile is in. Every single person I talk to in the IT field here in the U.S. is basically already began shifting their customers over to more mobile oriented paradigms.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Desktops will take forever to disappear. Something called a workstation exists, and a mobile device is never going to be a proper replacement for that. Well, maybe not never, but certainly not any time soon.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    There will always be work related hardware too powerful to make mobile so there will always be desktops. Even if it becomes the small minority in the future.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Only time mobile will replace desktops is when they manage to get cpu as powerful desktop i7 and gpu as powerful as the top dedicated gpu to fit in 1 chip that could fit in the tablet that wouldn't melt it or kill the battery instantly. Which isnt happen any time soon. Battery life suck on mobile devices, and it only gona get worse as time goes on. While tech get more power full and more power efficient , batteries for the most part have not they have long way to go.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I am hoping the next windows edition will be good.. It should be.

Windows 98: Good
    Windows ME: Bad
    Windows XP: Good
    Windows Vista: Bad
    Windows 7: Good
    Windows 8: Bad

I think I see a pattern :p

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Wow... win 8 + win 8.1 are higher than OSX :D lol

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    if you look closer the main branch is good and the extrapolated one is bad... :pc1:

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Fixed. Windows XP was built on 2000 which was actually good. XP was a pile on release, although few people remember that.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

Obviously they aren't going to vanish ever in their entirely, but the vast majority of users simply don't need the processing power in modern day computing. When I look at the company I work for, there is literally only three people out of about 120 that require something more powerful than what a modern mobile processor is capable of delivering. The only thing holding people back is the interface between them and the mobile unit -- docks/miracast/etc will improve and solve that problem.

You're delusional if you think the majority of the market needs that. I would be surprised if even 5% of the people who own personal computers actually have that much processing power currently.

And again, this isn't a matter of if this will happen, it already has happened. Mobile outpace desktops 2-1. If Microsoft wants the Windows brand to stay relevant moving forward it needs to be on mobile.

11. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Fun facts, except I was talking about Desktop Environments, not Desktop computers. :p

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    A lot on this forum are delusional....or in denial. Take your pick. The tech industry is going mobile. Regardless of how many "enthusiasts" refuse to believe it, it's happening and will continue to.

13. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    this shows how crappy win8 is, It is so bad my bro actually traded his laptop for an older MacBook. It is good for touch screens and that's where it should stay.

14. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I used XP from day one and don't recall any issues with it (apart from wifi)

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MS thinks it is bigger than the market. I'm glad to see it humbled. Shame really, 8 had great potential. I liked the new Explorer and task manger.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    not at all... mainstream user will go mobile and i agree, but:

8.1 correct the lack of interface choise for desktop user and laptop wich i guess will boost this OS, but on next gen mobile device... :( it still suck.

even on tablet windows 8 is horrible compared to Android or iOS that look more modern (ironic when you think that is also the name of the W8 GUI).

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's all about the applications, not the operating systems.

If the best applications ran flawlessly on Linux and worked flawlessly on every device, we'd all be using it.

Nobody runs home and says "I can't wait to use windows"; they run home and say "I can't wait to use my applications".

Doesn't matter if that's on windows, iOS, OS-X, or whatever.

Thusly, if windows wants to be the best and be number one, it needs to give the best access to the applications people use the most and make that experience the best.

Stating the obvious? Perhaps...but the way some of these companies act you'd think I was holding the lost sea scrolls in my hands.

CTD?

Posting from my iPhone btw. Go figure.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nothing much wrong with w8.1 for me, apart from a few minor incompatibility issues it's aces and just as good if not better than 7. So I would disagree with the chart above.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    this will almost certainly never happen.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I actually do see it happen for gaming actually. Eventually we're going to reach a limit in visual fidelity (aka real life visuals). After that mobile computers will (as always) catch up in power with their desktop counter parts.

Then I can see us all gaming on laptops.

Or then again, perhaps the new innovation then will become AI, ...