Random BSODs (HD 7970)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cstrosser, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ttvd

ttvd Guest

GPU:
    2 x MSI / 7970 / 3GB
    Nm, caught BSOD while idling; will try the UnofficialOverclockingMode afterburner thing.

Also, for

Which MemoryClockTarget? THere's
    MemoryClockTarget_PCI_VEN_1002 and MemoryClockTarget_0.
    As i understand Want_0 corresponds to idle mode?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I ran GTX 580 SLI before my current HD 7970's. They had more problems than I'm having now.

3. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    To thread starter

are your SSD's firmwares updated?

And did you try to tweak system memory timings? loosen them a little, also if you OC then tweak voltages a bit.. And maybe raise memory voltage for 1 steep.

I saw this in few nvidia drivers, some are more sensitive to main/advanced memory timings then others (main timing tRAS and advanced tRFC) and north bridge voltage.
    If i didnt raise/tweak voltages/timings i would get high pitch sound freeze or even bsod in BF3.

4. t0xin420

t0xin420 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7950
    Under PCI_VEN_1002
    Set your Want_0 To The Number Of Want_1

So Let's Say Your Want_1" value="125000", then Set your Want_0 to value=125000. Ever Since I've Done that I havent had a BSOD.

5. t0xin420

t0xin420 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7950
    Yeah but it's a rare occurance. I Know nvidia has it shares of problems but they have alot better drivers then AMD does. I hate Nvidia by the way. I am not a nvidia fan at all but im realistic. NVIDIA is pricey but they have better drivers.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. Choseh

Choseh Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 3GB
    i only get TDRs when streaming with xsplit but yes, they happen with whatever driver version, from RC11 to 12.4

7. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I could list all the problems Nvidia is having with the 580, and even -WORSE- the 680 series, but I only have 20 minutes till I have to goto the doctors

8. digitallnet

digitallnet Guest

GPU:
    XFX R7870 2GB DDR5
    Hey all, I just signed up here after finding this forum based on a similar experience with my dual XFX 7870's. I'm running the 12.3 firmware and when I had a single monitor/card connected (via HDMI), my new system was running perfectly stable. When the weekend came and it was time for me to migrate to using this box full-time I connected the second card (not using CrossFire - I don't do any gaming), I did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 on my SSD and had three 24" LCDs going (one HDMI, two DVI). Once my post install process was mostly complete (which includes multiple versions of Visual Studio, SQL Server, Office, etc.) I was down to just browsing random sites when my first BSOD hit. After a few of those every ~20 minutes I started searching and found this thread.

At this point I've confirmed that running a single monitor (other two, which were connected to the second card, were disconnected and turned off) kept everything stable, even over night. I just connected a second monitor up (moved it to the other card) to see how things run, but it seems like multi-monitor is touchy with these drivers. Outside of trying the suggestion here for dropping to a single monitor, the only change I've made was the regedit for the timeout. I saw the posts on here about changing the unofficial overclocking option, but I'm not entirely sure what file I'm supposed to be looking at for that string (if it even exists on non-MSI cards).

I'll keep everyone posted on what I end up finding out. I also have a ticket open with XFX because, since I don't game, I expect solid performance out of cards of this caliber and BSODs are simply not acceptable for me.

9. digitallnet

digitallnet Guest

GPU:
    XFX R7870 2GB DDR5
    Thus far the only stability problems I've had is when any monitor is connected to my secondary card. I have been running completely stable with dual monitor on a single card for two nights now.

Does anyone know when the 12.4 drivers are scheduled to be officially released?

10. hongshaojichi

hongshaojichi Guest

GPU:
    diamond 7970
    Also bugged by this problem with a single 7970 with dual monitor setup.

I first tried to change TdrDelay to 10 seconds. It was okay for almost 20 hours then my computer froze once. I'm not sure what problem it might be, but I think it was about to BSOD.

So I switched from 12.3 driver to 12.1. It's a little over a day now and no BSOD so far.
    To test if 12.1 really fixed the issue I changed TdrDelay back to default 2 seconds.

Maybe when official 12.4 is out I'll give it a try. Right now I guess I'll stick with 12.1

11. digitallnet

digitallnet Guest

GPU:
    XFX R7870 2GB DDR5
    I came across a link on Tom's Hardware where someone discussed similar issues: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/348924-15-display-driver-stopped-responding-radeon-hd6870. On there two things were recommended (in addition to TDR): updating Realtek drivers (if your system has Realtek audio) and changing the idle times by using a config file in CCC. I have done both of these and am back on three monitors to give it a go and see what happens. Usually my crashes were within 20 minutes and I've been booted for 14 now so if a crash happens it should be fairly soon.

If a crash happens, I'll post results here tonight; otherwise I'll leave my box on over night and see what happens. Here's to hoping I don't post until tomorrow! :)

12. HarryRag

HarryRag Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Gonna test it as well, since MS changed the fix to ControlSet002

Instead of the previous fixes mentioned : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers"

Hope this will be the deal breaker and finally able to run more up to date drivers since that gives a good performance boost.

And for the lacy onces so they don't have to search the thread, a direct link to the MS site with the auto fix .msi installer and description how to manually do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946/en-us

13. digitallnet

digitallnet Guest

GPU:
    XFX R7870 2GB DDR5
    My system was up for over an hour and a half the last time I had checked on it, but I was greeted with a BSOD (same one as before) when I walked in this morning.

Maybe XFX will be able to shed some light on this though.

14. HarryRag

HarryRag Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Going to stay on this for a few days and log al the bsod's and save all sysdata.xml's and dump files.
    Guess that it is time to start spamming xfx for this.

15. HarryRag

HarryRag Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    With the 12.1 Cape verde posted here on guru3d i don't have any problem at all, even when oc'd to 1125/1575. but any other released driver is giving problems.

Find this very strange.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

16. digitallnet

digitallnet Guest

GPU:
    XFX R7870 2GB DDR5
    Do you have multi-monitor configured or a single one?

17. hongshaojichi

hongshaojichi Guest

GPU:
    diamond 7970
    Thanks for the heads up.

Woke up this morning and found out that my system BSOD'ed last night. Looks like 12.1 is not the deal for me either. Testing new TdrDelay fix again.

18. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

when you get the BSOD, what is the full error code?

19. hongshaojichi

hongshaojichi Guest

GPU:
    diamond 7970
    The BCC code? 116

20. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    atikmpag.sys 116?