Desperately in need of help!

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Sinjo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Sinjo

Sinjo New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD4870 X2
    Dear Rivatuner team/Rivatuner users,

Let me cut right to the chase. A while back I was just like now very desperate. All my games were crashing with a 30 min to 2 hour interval.

I've tried multiple ways to fix this matter, like switching video cards, upgrading my drivers and all that sort of stuff you can imagine getting me rid of my problem. But alas it didn't work, so then I stumbled upon a forum telling me to download Rivatuner and to change my video card settings. So I did, at that time I tried it with world of warcraft and almost immidiatly I got these strange stripes running through my screen and my game instantly crashed. If it helps, they were moving in a vertical direction! :)

Anyhow, I freaked obviously! So I deleted Rivatuner without uninstalling the feature. And then my computer refused me playing WoW with the same weird crash I am still getting!

After some formats later it still isn't working, I've deleted Rivatuner from the registry, believing my problems would be over. In the mean time I've also re-installed Vista again. But with no succes, my WoW is still not working!

At that moment in time I had no clue I had to uninstall Rivatuner, it was a mistake. A mistake I made when I was panicking, it cost me dearly obviously. I've run out of ideas, and I'm positive someone on this forum knows a lot more about my problem, and of course how to solve it!

My system specs are:

Processor: Intel Core Quad Processor
    Ram: 2048 GEIL
    System type: 32-bit
    Video card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 x2
    Mother board: P5N-T Deluxe ASUS
    Operating software: VISTA
    PSU: Chieftec 620 WATT

Thanks in advance,

The silly desperate guy who doesn't know how to fix his own problems :(

EDIT: After this post I tried playing some other games, but it seems they aren't working as well. Games varying from Vista only games, to pre-2003 games

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    Sounds to me like either a temperature issue or hardware failure.

Do you monitor your temps? Have you run a memory diagnostic test? Is your PSU properly sized? When you reinstalled, did you reformat and/or have you run a hard drive diagnostic test? Any leaking capacitors on the motherboard?

Also, are you sure all your components are clean? I've seen PCs crash from too much dust, and compressed air resolved the issue.

3. Sinjo

Sinjo New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD4870 X2
    Thanks for giving me such a quick response to my post, I very much appreciate it! ^^

For some strange reason I've seen my computer temperatures get very high when playing games on my old video card. Although this varied when my computer would crash, sometimes 5 minutes, then 30 minutes or even 8 hours? On the other hand though I found out on the internet it was due to blame vista for my constant crashing. I saw my temperatures go up to a temperature of 50 degrees on the older video card. I haven't checked the temperatures on the newer one!...also that is the reason why I bought a new video card, to resolve my problem. However I soon found out the problem didn't dissapear it was still there. After that I tried the Rivatuner disaster and here I am :)

I purchased a new mother board recently because the old one broke down, for unknown reasons. The computer is blown clean, not a sprinkle of dust right now! :)

Further more the system has been completely formatted.

Now I'm not completely sure how to cool my comp a bit, or how to find out my PSU is giving enough juice for that matter! So if any of you have a clue, please let me kneuw! :)

EDIT: Rivatuner tells me that the different GPU's have a average temperature of 40-50 degrees, the temperature stays the same whenever I start a game before it immidiatly crashes. Is the temperature too high?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  4. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    In the future, can you please not edit the main content of your post. Keep it in an edit block or just post a reply. It forces us to reread the whole post and makes it look like we did not read it before replying.

Can you please tell us exactly what you changed with RivaTuner? You may have to use it to undo something you did.

Also, please add event history to the hardware monitor and log a session showing before and after launching the game. Post it for download or PM me your email address.

I'm not thinking it is temp anymore, but I still would have tested my RAM and PSU at this point. My gut is now thinking a too aggressive overclock(or similar low level change) or a bad PSU. The OC because it now crashes immediately where it used to at least run for a few. The PSU because 620w is not a lot of headroom for that card, especially if you have multiple hard drives, etc. Plus, the PSU could have been causing the flaky crashes before, and even cause you to lose a mobo.

40-50 is a good idle temp. But 50 is way to low for gaming. I idle in the 50s and get constant 70s, even occasional low 80s, gaming.

In general, deleting programs is never a good idea. Uninstallers have program specific intelligence and can often times undo or prevent permanent changes.

5. Sinjo

Sinjo New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD4870 X2
    Issue resolved! :)