Looking to buy a new computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twtaylor, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    After seeing some Crysis 3 benchies, and considering you don't plan to OC, I'd put some serious thought into the FX8320 personally. That way you can at least dabble with OC'ing if you feel like it without too many restrictions the way you would with a non K Intel chip. It shouldn't be any more money than what you're looking at, and you'll get a better motherboard for the same cash.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Since he's not overclocking it's not worth considering the 8320, it's $170 here while the 8350 is $190. 3.5GHz vs 4GHz right? Either way I'd never consider an FX chip for $190 when the 3570K is $220. But for him since he's not overclocking it might worthwhile if there is a large difference in motherboard prices. But the fact that he's choosing Asus more than cancels that out as well.

That link I posted had some relatively large discounts, $80+ off IIRC. Several of them on 3570K packages.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The 8320 boosts up to 4 ghz from 3.5, the 8350 boosts to 4.2 from 4.0. Depends on whether you're willing to spend the extra. In the UK the price difference is quite a bit larger though, you're looking at £40 ($62 ca). For 20 bucks difference I'd probably spring for the faster chip.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. NinjaTurtle

NinjaTurtle Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX5200 256Mb
    First of all, i'm new on these Forums, so hi everybody :nerd:! But.. The new computer, i would go for the ASUS. You say it has everything you want, except the graphics.. But.. Im sure it will run FarCry 3 with no little lag out there! But if i have to choose, go for these master PC's!; http://alienware.com/ - i own a **** PC now.. I really want a better one but i havent got the money for it.. But i hope i helped you out! Thanx 4 reading this :) Oh and i like it that you guys added the :banana: to the Smiley list :dave:

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    really? Alienware? ridiculously overpriced. there's pc that will be much better than that for less.

OP, get parts from ncix and pay the $50, best deal you can get if you don't want to build it yourself.

6. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    That's already my choice and it's going to come in around 1k CAD. I decided to go for the 3570K and everything else will stay the same.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you're going with that CPU you really should dabble a little with overclocking. With a decent cooler it's nothing more than setting the multi to X over Y and forgetting about it for a decent/mild OC.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You really don't even need to, you can just pop it in and enjoy the absolutely ridiculous framerates..

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    True enough. But what harm does it do, really? You get extra speed for no extra volts and little to no difference in heat. Maybe not now, but in a year or two if you feel the need it's nice to know it's that simple to get a good boost in processing power. I've never personally used a CPU series that's easier to OC than the last two gens of Intel chips. It's literally free performance.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What about the GPU?

11. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Plenty of builders on this site... It would be cool if you could find a member on the forum that lived very close to you. He or she could build your system for you on the cheap and you would get more system for your money.

I love to build so for friends and associates I just charge them $50 bucks and a six pack. LOL! I'm sure many here that since your a member would be cool and assemble you a nice clean build for the same amount. I enjoy it so it's not like work for me:)

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If I lived locally I'd have offered my services and done it for free. He's a long time member, I wouldn't try to profit from that at all. I hope those who might be local would do the same. He has contributed a lot over the years and is humble enough to admit that he's worried about building himself. That deserves respect.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Darkest if AMD's Turbo boost is anything like Intel's, the maximum boost is only when only a single core is active. Realistically two will be used most of the time. So unless it's different from Intel, the "Turbo" 4GHz of the 8320 is nonsense.

14. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    It comes with a GTX560, which will do the trick for a bit until I buy something better. Specs are:

1 x Intel Core i5 3570k Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
    1 x Corsair Cooling Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler LGA775 LGA1155 LGA1156 LGA1366 AM2 AM3
    1 x ASUS P8Z77-V LX Z77 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 CrossFireX 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard
    1 x Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Low Profile 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit
    1 x Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Gaming Case ATX 3X5.25 4X3.5 Front USB Audio No PSU
    1 x Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan 5 Year Warranty
    1 x Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit English DVD *for NCIX PC Only* *IR-$10.00*
    1 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive
    1 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
    1 x Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
    1 x Please Use The Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
    1 x PC Assembly And Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased
    PC Assembly & Testing does not include servers and requires an additional 4-5* business days to ship once all parts are in stock. NCIX will install aftermarket heatsinks or pre-filled CPU liquid coolers. Current lead time 5-10 business days.
    1 x Standard 1 Year Limited Warranty With NCIX IN-HOUSE Tech Support

It includes either a GTX560 or a 6870. If they ask, I'll opt for the 560.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nvm.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    most gaming benchmarks show the avg framerates. overclocking the cpu helps in the minimum frame rate department and when go go multi gpu a higher clocked cpu helps even more

17. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I was already going with NCIX before your first post, just slightly modified the order.

18. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    This is true... These days I tend to barter. "One guy has a skill that I need and he hooks me up, then I hook him up with a skill I have that he needs."

There may come a time I need a builder myself... I'm 43 now and my hands are not as steady as they once were.

19. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I'm 52 and am starting to get hand tremors so that's the reason I'm not building anymore. Age catches up with you sooner than you think. LOL

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    From what I understand, AMD implements it differently. On applications that only make use of 4 cores (Most games) they boost up to 4ghz in the case of the 8320. At least that's how it worked with the older Phenom 2 chips, albeit with less cores at their disposal. I'm not sure if the newer chips boost all the cores or only four however. I have read reports from the older 8150's where all the cores boosted to 3.9 but only half of them would boost all the way to 4.2.