AMD Embraces Gamers With AMD Rewards Program

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by 4960X, Feb 19, 2014.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Prices are normal, see below.

It's the retailers. People are panicking and paying insane prices for used 79xx and r9 280+. retailers take advantage of this, it's a legitimate, 100% normal, everyday procedure. if something is flying off the shelves, prices go up. nothing new here. Proof below, see various "mining" cards for normal prices

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...gpu-950mhz-boost-1070mhz-2048-streams-dp-dvi-
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...gddr5-gpu-1000mhz-2048-cores-dvi-d-hdmi-dport
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...dr5-gpu-1000mhz-boost-1050mhz-2048-streams-hd
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...gddr5-gpu-1007mhz-2560-streams-dport-dvi-hdmi
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...ddr5-gpu-947mhz-boost-1000mhz-2560-streams-dp
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...hz-gddr5-gpu-1040mhz-2560-streams-dp-dvi-hdmi

If the prices that some retailers are charging were reflecting a new, high AMD RRP, these respected etailers wouldn't be selling 280x/290 for normal prices. It is the retailers. Simple as that.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC

Okay then explain why the 680 at launch did not increase in price nor did the PS4 or XBone. All sold out of initial stock within a day or two all sold at MSRP at major retailers an e-tailers. Supply and demand is not the reason here. Greed is. AMD and Nvidia are both companies that survive off of profit. AMD does not give you a GPU out of kindness and humanity. They see an opportunity and pounce on it just like Nvidia.

If AMD DID NOT CONDONE SUCH PRICING THEY WOULD PULL STOCK FROM THE RETAILERS.

Edit: You links are easily explained. They are old stock brought in at old MSRP.

So who created fermi, Kepler and maxwell? Your inner AMD fanboy is showing again.

3. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    lol @ that before and after image.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Eclap I was referring to us prices when I quoted syk as he is from the USA. Titan black is sold out at its msrp of about $1000 and sells for that much why aren't the retailers selling it for say $1200 as they are flying off the store shelves?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Has anyone installed this yet? Any good ?

6. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Been using it for a while now. It works fine, but haven't used the "optimization" feature. They're adding more games for the optimization feature, but not too many games are supported yet. I am a bit peeved though, because they recently essentially"nerfed" the points gain from doing anything (optimizing games, playing games) making it near impossible to amass enough points to actually get any cool rewards (such as games)

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Newegg is well known for jacking up prices on products with high demand, as is TigerDirect (who coincidentally is the worst for doing this). Little over 2 years ago, TigerDirect was trying to sell their stock of eVGA GTX480's on Ebay for $2500 a piece.

If AMD is having problems getting enough of the HawaiiXT GPU's, it would make sense to increase prices to slow demand. Of course, we can't blame AMD without blaming all of their AIB's as well. It's possible that the price increases are from retailers/etailers, AMD, AIB's....or any combination of them. You'll never get any of them to admit to being at fault. They'll all just blame those mining crypto-currencies.

Not sure exactly what the issue is with my post. It was entirely factual. If any of us were running a company like NVidia or Intel, we'd run it the same way. Profits come from market position. Market position comes from product quality/performance (unless you're Samsung, then product quality doesn't mean anything). If NVidia wasn't so driven by profits, cards like Titan and GTX780Ti wouldn't exist. My next card will likely be a Maxwell refresh card anyway.....or whatever the 900 series ends up being.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    AMD is expensive, from some retailers, because they jumped on the mining train. simple as that. the fact 680 sold out and that ps4 sold out means nothing.

These cards are selling out at twice the rrp, at some retailers. And that's the catch. some.

Look at my links again. some of those are pre-order prices. I could link a heap more from OcUK if... if I could, on this forum. but yeah, prices are really normal around here, sub £250 for a 280x and around £350 for a custom cooled r9 290. in stock or pre-order.

If AMD upped the rrp, we would not see £250 280x or £350 r9 290. simples. no more to say. can we stop with the AMD paranoia now?

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    sure, but if AMD jacked up the rrp on these cards, it would be world wide, right?

You have to understand what is going on atm. The mining craze. People buy a couple of AMD gpus, and make back the cost in 2 months, usually less. I bought my 2nd 7950 for £135 on eBay, just before all of this started going crazy. a couple of weeks later, my card was worth £350. that's almost 200% up on what I paid.

People clicked on to the trend and started selling their cards at bloated prices.

The fact remains that you can still buy a 270/x, 280, 290 and 290x for rrp prices. so no, AMD are not jacking up the prices.

About titan black, yes, newegg could go up with prices, I'm sure. Is there a Titan Black btw? I'm a bit out the loop. Anyway, every new gpu will be selling like hot cakes. but in this case, we're talking about old AMD stock, used gpus, selling for a lot more than they used to retail at a few months ago. on eBay, have a look.

btw, here's a custom cooled 290 (one of the better coolers out there too) for $599. nothing much wrong with that price. there's a gigabyte one on newegg for $639 too. I'm actually surprised how low the r9 stock is on newegg, the demand must be through the roof.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm not installing this. I don't need some crap software "to tweak my gaming"

12. herazz

herazz Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gtx 780 ti
    if ur lazy and dont have that powerful card and if u have..this program work fine to optimize ur settings

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol, whoever was paid to put that slide together either has zero clue about graphics settings or has a unique sense of humor.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I love the AMD fanboy view of AMD the company. 'They can only do good! Everything they do is for US and not their profit!'

How do you explain the obvious partnership with Raptr for this BS rewards program.
    If you hear a company say 'rewards program' you run.

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I love the Nvidia fanboy view of AMD the company.
    'Again, we didn't get a piece of it, therefore we must ruin it for AMD fanboys!'.

There you go. Have a good day, sir.

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm not a fanboy.

And even if I was, which do you think is worse?

AMD in bed with Raptr to make money off of people using this new program.
    Or.
    NVidia users complaining about it.

Which do you think actually effects you?
    If you still think it's still NVidia users complaining then you are the perfect target for any company looking to nickel and dime you.

17. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Strange view so if nvidia bring out a graphics card that uses 2w and is 10 x faster than anything AMD has and is half the price you would not buy it ...... ?

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You are fanboy and you are enjoying it. I mean, you full of joy when you call AMD users fanboys, right?

Don't get me wrong. I am not using this "AMD reward program".

In my opinion this program designed for people who have no idea what below is:
    - fps (frame per second)
    - MSAA
    - Screen Resolution
    - Ambient Occlusion
    - Texture Quality
    - Texture Filtering
    - Lighting Quality
    - etc...

Those people will get the most of their hardware by 1 click.
    So it seems to me, you either jelly of this 1 click or trolling.

AMD and raptr may milk as much as they want from this "reward program".
    Having a few advertises on each page is usual this days.
    Hell, AMD has huge advertising on CCC top.
    They are big companies and after big profits. Did I miss a point?

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think these programs are a good thing. There are loads of people, even on this very forum who seem to think they max out todays games without a performance penalty. (AC4 fior instance) hopefully these programs will bring them back to earth by showing them what the recommended settings really are.

I dont know how well this reward program works though , can anyone comment on that ? when people are able to get a game for free or something like that.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @sverek
    I didn't call you or all AMD users fanboys. The fact that you took offense to what I said tells me you do think AMD is an unfulfillable company and are ok with companies milking people. Just because a lot of companies do it does not make it ok. Just because you wont use it does not mean it should not be there.

And I think you are a little confused and/or misinformed. This program is an answer to Geforce Experience. A program that I don't even bother installing. Which was out May 23 2013, and was in open beta before then.

And I'm also willing to bet that, even after learning NVidia users already have the same functionality without ads, which gives me no reason to want to ruin AMD users fun, I am still a NVidia fanboy.

In other words, this is Geforce Experience, which also optimizes games, updates drivers, and has twitch + ads brought to you by Raptr. And just to be clear, this is not just ads, this is a fully integrated 'rewards program'.
    Why are you ok with that?