AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Memorian

I cannot understand what is now the problem. Finding the registry key? or copying that key name to inside .reg file?

but ok...

open 'command prompt'
    type/copy/paste this command:
    Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video" /v service /s
    This should list services now tell me is there service called 'Service REG_SZ amdkmdap' ?

@marcosamerio

Thank me when you find it useful. I still am not sure is this actually the true method of enabling as basically I don't understand why it has to be enabled in 'video' settings and also on driver settings before it can be adjusted at all.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Man i found that but what now lol

3. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Memorian

you command prompt window looks like (this is example from my machine):
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{04A1B937-B6AE-44F9-91B9-4B433DE079E4}\Video
        Service    REG_SZ    amdkmdap
    so as above example 'Service' is in "{04A1B937-B6AE-44F9-91B9-4B433DE079E4}"(example). {04A1B937-B6AE-44F9-91B9-4B433DE079E4}(example) would be your {<YourVideoCardID>}

copy that from command prompt window and replace to .reg file.

ok?

4. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Copy this "4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318" without the quotes in the "extra_functions.reg" when said "{<YourVideoCardID>}"

i think this is ur video card ID if i not wrong

Bye and good luck

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ?????????????
    My service is in ''{A81B743D-7284-4627-87C2-83BA70C449D2}''

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Memorian

yep.. use it with the reg.

@marcosamerio

What goes to FlipQueue there might be a bit issue as you can see I don't think it's fully functional. The problem is 'atiumd##.dll'-files. There's an string in the file (system dependent which in use atiumd64.dll or what, continue...) that is set to 'Disable' 'FlipQueue' and entry name is not 'FlipQueueSize' it is simplisticly 'FlipQueue', but I'm afraid that this DLL is hardcoded to disable modifications. So, I am not sure can you actually overwrite this value with registry in the first place as I try'd to do.

7. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    And now i rename the .reg file to that?

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Memorian

No you open the .reg file with notepad(or right click the .reg file & choose 'edit') and replace the {<YourVideoCardID>} with that ID of yours.

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Now this is what i wanted from the begining,we wasted our time for nothing
    Anyway thanks again :)

10. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Thanks i ll check if i see strange things or something

Bye

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    In the meanwhile since was on checking drivers anyway. Ran an pretty funny test on these drivers of OpenCL performance:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now that's pretty nice processing speed and hell on these newly patched 10.5a drivers that actually supports special functions on ATI cards also. :war:

12. Hans Dampf

Hans Dampf Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5970 H2O + GTX470 H2O
    Hi TwL,

just two, maybe stupid questions more before I head home, clean up again and install your new driver buildt:

a) extra functions .reg update: will I find only one {<YourVideoCardID>} under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\ even I have installed 4 ATI-cores ?

b) Don't need to use any more your detailed ATI - cleaning instructions on page2 and just follow your new instructions on page1 Uninstalling OLD Crap out
    Right, sir?

Will report my hopefully success, when done! :)

13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, you would find it might be possible that your 'first key' is not '0000' but '0001' instead and you have to add that too instead of 0000 residenting to .reg file. generally that will mirror rest and the driver, but you've installed the earlier build and know how to use register so use that instead of the 'cmd' command there now.
    (Let me know if this is so. As then have to add advice for crossfire on this separately for no more mess-up.)

as for install yeah, corrected that now in full to first page. Clean-up cmd has all needed for basic 'get rid of crap' as it should. The mentioned 'video'-folder is basically emptied on driver uninstall so wouldn't worry about(the one thing cmd is not removing where there is instructions) that as idea is just to get rid of old crap on HD so installer actually overwrites the data & basic services and not just say it does.

(4-cores is incorrect assumption the registry has as many '000x' entries as there's attachable displays minus NVIDIA. On 2xHD5970 I would suspect something like 0001-0007.)

14. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    I'm having problems finding this driver, the links provided don't have any MB's listed. There is no driver package where are you guys getting TWL's driver?

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Check the first post there's 4 mirrors on each file. Should be enough for your taste. :)

MB's?

@commonly

I was just checking 'profiles.xml' on appdata seems we have even bigger hell on build by AMD/ATI. from registry to XML entire catalyst set. Of course if it would actually work maybe it could be easier to handle, but as far I see it's total idioticy as registry is in memory HD is never a place to store active settings.

16. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950

I'm so ef'ing stupid I was clicking on the MD5 link thanks TWL!:)

17. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    Thanks again TwL I just installed the extra functions reg file I can't thank you enough for this tweak. If you don't mind I'd like to link this to AVS forums I'm sure this will help a ton of people out there.

18. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    yeah, sure link up there's nothing 'unofficial' about this topic just fixing up ATI crappy software.

As for Vantage & 3DMark IF people wants I just studied a bit further. I think I can now build an fully qualified driver for benchmarks and no worries I have hate from heart against futuremark entech crap too. What I would need to know basically would be what is the benchmark exact equipment(meaning does it have to support crossfire) & what drivers they allow on both NVIDIA and ATI side.

Anyway, as for now the drivers works great. Basically only thing I would correct could be the clean-up cmd (so it wouldn't have to be run twice), but well as it doesn't take extra reboots anyway doesn't exactly matter.

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    There's is final build coming from me mirroring, atm.

The last build I will make as unless people wants an 3DMark build later on, but the final build will be based on Catalyst v10.3b, v10.4b & 10.5a.

All Fixed issues list now since original build:
    * OpenCL functionality on Multi-GPU configuration *all builds*
    * Crossfire setups *Update 1*
    * Catalyst Video configurations fix (effective editing configs) *final build*
    * Performance Tweaks *final build*

Seems that now on this edition as I am using now all 3 different driver series to patch the 10.5a(hotfix release) we actually get fully functional setup.

20. Hans Dampf

Hans Dampf Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5970 H2O + GTX470 H2O
    Hi Twl,
    thank you so much for all your research and feedback on points me and others mentioned! Took me a long night to clean and install following all you points exacly. Worked fine except the 1.02 and 1.03 with and without cable to NVidia. Fake display always becomes nonfaked display after reboot - even I took of the cable. (Bought an HDMI cable for this install and found, that my Samsungs only have DVI and VGA .. so I used VGA instead for install.
    Think it is better for me to use 257.15 and NPT instead because of that.

Could clean up nicely with CMD, make PhysX work, and install all drivers and the 'extra functions' correctly.
    Some points:
    As you mentioned before: More that 4 keys under ...\video .. I have 19 keys there! But tracked the right one and checked: reg install is confirmed by CCC.

What I cannot really follow is the pics you showed me by GPU-Z.
    How do you make PhysX ticked on ATI-side in GPU-Z? Still not there.
    NVidia side still missing direct compute marker. Maybe the 96ooGT cannot?

Dropped about 1K points in Vantage compared to your first build and ..
    Overdrive/Afterburner crashed with my before stable overclock on last test.
    But maybe caused by little higher temps last night in the water.

About futuremark: Vantage uses all 4 cores in crossfire correctly and also PhysX in one of the tests (30FPS No PhysX / 100FPS with PhysX) . Same score on first and second build from you in Fluidmark 1.1.1 and Vant PhysX.
    3DMark06 has no PhysX and can only use one of the 5970's.
    All earlier builds (01, 03 and 05) use single core and no PhysX.

Will test your next driverset when I come back home.

Will send you a PM in a minute.