Guide For GPU3 BETA Client {Windows & Linux}

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by PantherX, May 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Does this mean those daring of us running ATI should consider installing the GPU3 software, or should we stick to GPU2 a little longer?

//Svein

Post moved to appropriate thread. {F@HTL}

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
  2. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    TBH, the choice is yours. Technically, the GPU3 BETA Client is for Nvidia as it adds the support for FahCore_15 which can run on Fermi and Non-Fermi GPUs. However, on the ATI side, there isn't any performance improvement. You will still be using the same FahCore_11 that was available on GPU2 Client. The only difference is that the whitelist has been updated so there isn't any need to use the -forcegpu ati_r600 -forcegpu ati_r700, -forcegpu ati_r800 flags which makes it slightly easier to install. However, if new ATI GPUs are released, then you might be needing the -forcegpu flag. Simply put:

GPU3 BETA Client (Nvidia):
    Support for new FahCore_15 which can run on Fermi and Non-Fermi
    Support for existing FahCore_11 which runs on Non-Fermi only

GPU3 BETA Client (ATI):
    Updated whitelist for GPUs

FYI, the "little longer" part is kinda vague as PG (Pande Group) never gives ETA on anything. They will release it when its ready. I do know that there is a new FahCore_16 being developed but not sure if it is for ATI or Nvidia.

IMO if you already have the GPU2 Client installed, don't bother. If you are new to F@H, then you might want to consider GPU3 BETA Client as it removes the need to use the -forcegpu flag which simplifies the installation procedure slightly.

3. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Will adding four sessions of the cpu client (quad core) help on the machine chewing three gpu-clients (5970+5850), or will it just slow down the gpu clients?

//Svein

Post moved to appropriate thread. {F@HTL}

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2010
  4. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    While folding with 3 ATI GPUs, what is your CPU Usage? If it is high (75%) then you may want to use Environment Variables to make it more efficient.

Technically, if you set the GPU Client's priority to low/Slightly Higher (from the F@H Options), and the CPU to idle, it won't matter.

However, for ATI GPUs, you will need a free Core to constantly feed the GPUs data while Nvidia GPUs doesn't need a free CPU as they are very efficient.

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    So, adding three cpu clients (with affinity 1,2,4 hex) and running the gpu clients with affinity 8 should be ... adequate?

//Svein

6. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Lost you there, sorry :(

Lets start from the top:
    What is your CPU Usage with 3 ATI GPUs running on one system?

The reason is that many ATI folders experience high CPU Usage while running a single ATI Client when compared to Nvidia ones. I have seen that it is usually 1 CPU per ATI Client and you have 3 ATI Clients on a 4 Core machine.

It might be possible that you can run 1 instance of Classic Client depending on your answer to my question above.

7. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Each of the ATI clients consume about 25% of a single core. Mostly by moving stuff in memory, and if I lock all of the three ATI clients to a single core (via affinity during startup), that core gets 75% saturated.

So I have three cores that were idling, which are now chewing along happily.

(see the "start" command from cmd)

//Svein

8. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    If you lock the ATI Client to that 1 Core, does it slow down the processing of the WU or not?

If not, then its a great news and you have the following options:

1) You can run 3 instances of Classic Client, just make sure that they all have different Machine ID and separate folders.

2) If it is a dedicated folding rig, you can install a single instance of SMP2 v6.30 and run it with -smp 3 flag. That way, you can make more points than the Classic Clients. However, you may want to experiment with this setup to make sure that you can return the WU before the Preferred Deadline.

Wish you all the best

9. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    no slowdown (load on GPU1-3 remains the same, according to afterburner), and there is no load difference (on the GPUs) when I launch the last three cpu clients.

Since this isn't a dedicated folding machine (it's my primary workstation), I'll stick to the one-per-core setup for now.

//Svein

10. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Minor update: Adding the cpu clients did add some 25% to my daily production. So it seems (as long as I set affinity and priority correctly with the startup script) it was a good idea (TM). And having set priority correctly it ... makes no actual fps difference in the games I play. It still pulls 200+ fps

//Svein

11. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I have performed edits and split the Notes section into GPU and Client so it will be easy to follow. Added information about viewer, Client version representation, capacitor whine and MemtestCL.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    guys (edited) my GPU makes a TSSSSSSsss sound when i resume FOLDING next to loud fan noise..umm is that normal..i figured out it is not doing that while 3D gaming :/

Post edited & moved to appropriate thread. {F@HTL}

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  13. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    You can read this: (from my Guide)

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Thank u and sorry for Posting wrong topic

15. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Changelog:

Changed the Thread title from "GPU2 -> GPU3 Transition Guide For Windows + Link To Linux" to "GPU3 Guide For Windows & Link To Linux"
    Added the commonly used GPU list and the reported messages in FAHlog.
    Included a Legend to distinguish between GPU Vendors in those posts that require them:
    Added "Related sub-Section(s):" in some posts.
    Changed "GTX 400 Series GPU" to "Fermi GPU" in many sub-sections and did corresponding changes.
    Removed the mention of Nvidia 197.45 WHQL Driver and kept only 258.96 WHQL Driver as it seems a good idea to have the latest supported driver.
    Removed the sub-section on NVIDIA GeForce Forceware 2XX.XX Drivers + GPU3 BETA Client as it is no longer needed.
    Added MtM's note about the difference between Ctrl + C and X Button.
    Removed the option of -advmethods flag for GPU2 WUs, instead have added a note informing that things have changed and doing so will give them access to late beta WUs.
    Added FILE_IO_ERROR and common troubleshooting techniques.
    Preformed edits here and there.

16. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Changelog

I have made the following changes:

Merged the these sections into Hardware and/or Troubleshooting the GPU3 BETA Client:
    Notes Regarding Fermi GPU
    Notes Regarding The GPU (General)
    Removed the "Links to interesting threads" since most information is available in the Guide. Also the list would be too long if one were to include all "interesting threads" as interests vary from person to person.
    Shortened the section "Changing From One GPU Brand To Another"
    Rearranged the ordering of the sections in the guide
    Added section Upgrading From A Non-Fermi GPU To A Fermi GPU

17. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The following changes have been done:

Added download links for v6.40r1
    Changed the species detection message for Nvidia GPUs

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    There really needs to be a GPU3 for ATi cards soon...

deltatux

19. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Yes, I agree so there is good news on the horizon:

20. the_4ork

the_4ork Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4850
    dood i am totally lost