Scumbag Samsung

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by PhazeDelta1, Jan 8, 2014.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I pretty much have a $600 paperweight. I was informed today that Samsung wont replace my phone due to a factory defect because I tripped the Knox counter when I flashed a custom kernel. I haven't even had it for a week. So now every time I need to charge my battery, I have to take it out and put it in one of those spare battery chargers. :flame:

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hmmm... can you not rma with the retailer?

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Return it to the store instead?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If Samsung has already ruled the warranty void, the retailer/carrier has no obligation to replace the phone.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    No. I had to take it to a Samsung Service center. They guy here said it can be fixed. So I just told him to do it.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hope you get it all fixed. Taking the battery out every time you want to charge it would be annoying.

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Warranty is with the retailer for the first year in the UK at least, and most will swap it or refund there and then. I've never ever seen them give the manufacturer a quick call to check. Besides you don't need to contract the manufacturer and some random employee in a general store won't know about flash counters and knox triggers.

Besides not relevant here as rooting etc doesn't void warranties.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Phone is fixed. $13 to replace the Charging Port Flex Cable Ribbon. $55 for labor. :wanker:

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well the guy at the Verizon Store definitely knew about the Knox trigger, because that was the first thing he checked. I tried playing dumb, but he wasn't having any of it lol. He's the one who told me the warranty was void by Samsung and there was nothing Verizon could do about it. I was then referred to a repair shop up the street who so happens to be an authorized Samsung repair shop. So I lucked out. I really didn't want to shell out another $600 on a phone. Unfortunately, since I never renewed my contract and the only way I can keep my unlimited data plan is by paying full price for a phone.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And none of that is relevent in this case if the OP's listed location is correct. In the US, the warranty is the sole responsibility of the manufacturer and any 3rd party contracted by that manufacturer to administer said warranty.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Problem is in the US it is now illegal again to do it. Also, if the company has terms you must follow to receive support, then if you don't follow them then they will deny you. Samsung is very particular with this all around the world.

12. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Yes, you wont get your warranty with Samsung if you don't have the purchase receipt with you.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Rooting is legal. Carrier unlocking isn't. They're completely different things.

14. Mark121

Mark121 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660
    I dont think flashing a custom kernel would cause the phone from charging.
    I think the micro usb port got damaged from abuse or strain when the usb cable is plugged and bent to the sides

as he was able to fix it by replacing a usb board/flex cable.

I would recommend you look for a wireless charging for your Note3
    they sell the kit on Ebay

I have the Nexus 5 with nexus wireless charging pad and, I have not had to plug my phone to charge bought two for home and work.:)

This way the usb port wont get damaged from plugging and unplugging.

15. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Thanks for the warning!
    Guess my Note 3 is just gonna have to stay loaded with all the bloatware that Samsung can throw at it, if that's their attitude.

16. Rachel S

Rachel S Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    If you have no other way but to get it repaired though someone other than Samsung,
    any recommendations??
    Old friend of mine mentioned using SamFix, doubt they are anything to do with Samsung but he seamed to be pleased with the result.
    Ive heard of local repairers doing it, but they seamed dodgy as hell

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Doesn't that unlimited data only cover 3G? That's the reason I dumped Verizon for Sprint. They told me I could keep unlimited 3G but if I wanted a 4G plan I would have to sign a new contract.

18. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Well, messing with the ROM does void warranty.
    I was lucky with my Transformer 300 tablet though. Asus did warn that if you mess with the bootloader or the machine itself, it voids warranty.

So of course i messed with it as much as possible in every way possible, voided the warranty in any way possible. And after a year, what do you know, the board is toast.
    Sent it to the service located in a different country with a letter explaining why i needed it back asap with a couple of sweets in the box telling them that i didn't care about the cost.

Got it back 5 days later fixed for free... Seriously, those sweets worked.

19. Vindaloo

Vindaloo Guest

GPU:
    R7850 2Gb CF 1000/5000

I'm terrible for this!, but to be fair I don't break stuff lol :banana:

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The unlimited data includes 4G.