Do you guys use vsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Saifz, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Do you use vsync?

1. If yes why?

191 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. If No why?

117 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ofc I tested it. I am not talking theory here, but practice.

Are you really saying that in Skyrim Vsync ON + 60fps Limit is better/more responsive then then Vsync OFF + 60fps limit?

I doubt there is any difference in Skyrim between Vsync ON + 60fps limit, and just Vsync ON :)

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    im not playing with vsync on. source games are a b1tch with vsync. ive limited them to 100fps with inspector, works great imo. (tried from 50fps to 120 and 100 was the best option for me).
    i think most games where i do use vsync im playing with a controller lol :D

3. ibitato

ibitato Guest

4. Y1ROK

Y1ROK Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
    Actualy there is HUGE difference. And NO lag with Vsync ON + 60fps limit.

Last edited: May 3, 2012

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    you know what? you are right. there is a huge difference in Skyrim with 60fps limit in Skyrim (Vsync ON), but Vsync OFF/Adaptive with 60fps limit is still smoother (not that I would use Vsync OFF in Skyrim)

60fps limit won't alleviate all lag problems with Vsync ON

Source for example, UE3 etc

6. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    I'm just sticking with 120 FPS limiter in nVIDIA Inspector, it doesn't seem to provide me with neither tearing nor any mouse lag so I'm a happy camper.

No tearing is most likely due to the fact that with 8x MSAA + 8x TRSSAA I never tend to get past 120 FPS on my 120Hz monitor anyway.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    For Skyrim they should make a Hardware Cursor. World of Wacraft has it aswell and it removes the Mouse Lag.

8. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I thought all of this was gone time ago with 3DOOverrider, forcing 3-buffer and vsync
    at least on DX10/9 games

9. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    I always use v-sync, though my old gtx 570 had some problems with it on some games. Now with 680 i ALWAYS use v-sync in games (+triple buffering). Starcraft 2 is actully not really playable without v-sync and Triple buffering (enabled in nvidia control panel) on my samsung TV that i use as a monitor.

10. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Well I use adaptive vsync... because its the best of both worlds

11. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    "Always had high end CRT's with high HZ so never needed and never seen tearing!"

Same here. Infact, I can`t remember the last time I played a game using 60 Hz.

12. Zergle

Zergle Guest

GPU:
    GTX780Ti WindForce OC
    I still notice lag.

I think your right. I can notice tearing if I look for it but when gaming I barely notice it at all using a 120hz monitor. I used to be a competitive Quake 3 player so im very sensitive to input lag and thus hate v-sync.

13. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I have always used vsync ON ,, because I dont like the tearing of graphics its horrible,, everyone should use vsync on ,,,,,,,, unless they have a lag issue.. gl

Nice and smooth like my old FW900 ........

Everything smooth,,,,,, , and instant, zero lag

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Even if you don't see or feel any lag, there's still a slight delay in the visual representation being shown wish is the mother of all evil for competitive FPS players so at the end of the day for me it'll be OFF, ALWAYS.

15. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I normally don't since it causes a lot of input lag in first person shooters. I do use it in MMOs as perfect reflexes aren't necessary. I chose no since I played a lot more first person shooters than MMOs and other RPGs. A little tearing is preferable to input lag. It's best if the game has it's own method to cap framerate as there's no input lag that way.

Also, I can notice the difference between 150 FPS and 300 FPS in something like Counter Strike:Source.

Last edited: May 6, 2012

16. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Nope, don't use it.

Tearing don't bother me as much as input lag does so I pick the lesser evil :)

17. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    No way for gaming!!! With 120Hz monitor

18. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    I also have a 120hz monitor, but i still use v-sync. I dont notice any input lag at all...

19. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Adaptive Vsync is a blessing in disguise. No more annoying tearing and random slowdowns when forcing full Vsync :p

20. Carstuar

Carstuar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr III
    No VSYNC, because I don't like input lag, and because I don't see any tearing on a 120Hz monitor. I cap FPS at 120 to keep from rendering excess frames that only make the gpu hotter.