GTX 980 Artefacts

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by biggyca, Mar 21, 2017.

1. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Hello, I've got new graphics card GALAX GTX 980 SOC, and I'm also first time Nvidia user. I have artefacts in Rust and Unigine heaven(triangles). GPU is not overclocked. Is it my card's fault or something with drivers. Should i tweak something in nvidia control panel or geforce experience. Any opinions? Thank you.

edit: im using latest drivers, downloaded from guru3d

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Likely overheating or unstable clock (and in cases where you didn't overclock, means DOA).

If you are able to take a screenshot of it that might clear things up a little.

3. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    well i underclocked my memory to -190, artifacts are eliminated. Does it cost much on performance? Is 3300mhz(showing on msi afterburner in game) too low for memory and gaming?

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hmm, the stock vram clock for the 980 is 7000mhz (3500mhz DDR). So you're losing a tiny bit of memory bandwidth.

If the card is new, return it. If you bought it used for fairly cheap, it's not really going to affect performance that much.

What are your load temps?

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You should RMA it. If it's artifacting at its default clocks, it's defective and it might even be a sign of it going worse and worse over time.

I hope you bought it new with warranty. If you bought it on ebay or something, then this might be the case of someone having used it heavily overclocked, damaged it, and then selling it damaged.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If you have another monitor cable, give it a try. If that doesn't help, do what the others said.

7. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I bought used gpu. temperatures are normal never goes over 70c, also Im using dvi-vga adapter.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Im sorry to say but as others suggested, try to return it Asap.

9. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Could it be the RAM?

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If you're talking about the graphics card's VRAM, it could, but it shouldn't at stock clocks. You can see if you can downclock the RAM a bit, but that doesn't change anything about the card not working properly at stock clocks.

As long as you can't make sure it's neither your monitor cable nor the DVI-VGA adapter that's causing the artifacts, you should try to give it back.

11. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Ok, thanks for suggestions

12. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Maybe VRM overheating. Try with fans at 100% when doing the same thing that will make it artifact. I also have a Galax 980ti but it's a hof. My card was unning a bit hotter than usual and was due to the screws not tight. I know your core temps might be low but still check if screws are tight enough. Mine was so loose just turning it slightly was enough to tighten it.