Rx470 Throttling hard at 74C

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davyon, Mar 20, 2017.

1. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    Hello i bought Asus radeon rx 470 strix, but i have a strange problem:
    During playing Rise of the Tomb Raider or a demanding task i have drops of speed of GPU from 1250 MHz to 300 MHz. it seems my processor i7 4770k is not having any issues, temps are there. by tweaking a lot i found that my card is around 70-74C while playing, the drops happens exactly when i reach 74C, it quickly throttles until it get down to 68C which takes like 5-10sec. In msi afterburner i set the value of power to just 40+ and the fan to a fix 90%. I seems to not throttle anymore and the temps dont go above 71C. I wonder if this is an issues with this particularly one, i tried reinstalling the drivers and this is a fresh windows install.

Also i heard something about ULPS, would disable it would help me?
    Pretty disapoinnted i thought that i could a least get some overclock in this card, but it cant even handle the stock speeds it came with...:bang:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    If you can drop some voltage,mean undervolt,will be great.
    High voltage always make Radeons run hot.

Asus & Radeon is not always love.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Make sure you have a good airflow in your case.

4. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    woudnt that decrease perfomance too?

5. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    No, but if you drop too much you will run into stability issues. You gotta find that sweet spot.

6. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    i used it in like -5 voltage and it crashed after the 2do competitive match in overwatch... clearly leaving a 0 stars review for this model.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    So you only reduced it by 5mv and it was unstable? Damn, that is a bit unusual, assuming everything else in your system is fully operational (death star?).

Try this- put everything back to stock and then...

Open MSI Afterburner, go to settings, fan tab, then "enable user defined software automatic fan control." At the bottom where is says "Tempature hysteresis (in °C) put 2.

Run some games and see if you still get throttling. Should help.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Definitely sounds like something is wrong there.

This is from Hilbert's review of the 4GB card back in August...

9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    My Sapphire RX 470 never even gets close to 70C. It very rarely even goes over 60. It has stock clocks for everything and a slightly modified fan setting in the driver. Fan is at minimum 1000 and maximum 2500 and almost never goes over 1500. The temp is set on manual setting of max 85 and target 70. I never hear any noise from the card and even power usage never hits 85W. It never throttles either. All settings are in Wattman. I have never used Afterburner or anything like it.

I have seen from the very beginning reports on ASUS cards throttling much more than others and it's one reason why I avoided them. The main reason was my love for Sapphire though. I have never had a problem with any Sapphire product.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  10. Warkratos

Warkratos Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I have the same card and the same problem. But in my case I just undervolted it with Wattman, changing the last 3 states to 1025, my card is stable with these settings and keeps 60c in most games!

davyon likes this.

11. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    i downloaded a "fix" from Asus which just locked the power lvl to +25 and it still throttles some times. GG asus!

12. t2fighters

t2fighters Guest

GPU:
    MSI rx480 Gaming x 8gb
    For Radeon i go Sapphire is very good and if u want max oc MSI my RX480 gaming x is a monster 1.415 core 1.225 mem max temp 73 and no noise at all.

13. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Yeah I would ldo a custom fan profile in the drivers. I bought my son a sapphire nitro rx480 and can run it at 1400mhz stable in that fashion never drops.

14. PontiacGTX

PontiacGTX Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    you could try editing the bios and increasing the default power limit values that wya wont throttle in stock settings

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Perhaps you're going about this the wrong way, increasing the powerlimit means the card will use more power and thus generate more heat - how about lowering the power limit or lowering the voltage if you can - I know it seems counter-intuitive but for stability sake, this may be the better way to go.

Might also be worth sending the card back, it's obviously not performing as it should.

16. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    The last guy is right. You don't want to turn up power. you either want to increase fan speed so it wont throttle down or undervolt the gpu. I undervolted the 480 at first until I wanted to overclock it. Used default voltage and found I could get 1400 MHz from the 1306 it was at. Increased the fan profile to try to keep the gpu at 65c and ran some benchmarks never dropped from 1400. Now if you cant get the temps to come down you might want to try to apply a new layer of thermal paste to the gpu heat spreader.

17. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Any update davyon?

18. Atazoth

Atazoth Guest

GPU:
    Trident Z RGB 32GB
    I have an entire mining rig with those cards and had similar issues. I ended up repasting them all and allowing msi afterburner take over the fan control.

19. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    yes i sold it years ago.. got a 1080 evga which doesnt even hit 70c unless.... cyberpunk jaja. im a EVGA Fan now... so sad they retired