Should I get a 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS for Birthday/Xmas?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by stryder8701, Dec 5, 2013.

?

Should I get a 3DS, 3DS XL or 2DS for Birthday/Xmas?

1. Nintendo 3DS XL

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Nintendo 2DS

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Nintendo 3DS

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    There would be something wrong if the Wii-U didn't have more games considering it's been out a year longer than the other two.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yes totally :D And it does have the best games so far.

3. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Got a 3 DS XL recently to replace my DS lite, I was getting tired of the small display.
    I mostly play it for a few minutes during coffee breaks and on the train commuting to and from work which makes it worth-while to have.

I love it so far, while in some games I'm sure its an added-in gimmick the 3d effects with Super Mario 3D land are actually adding to the gameplay and enjoyment.

Also I've been using it with my SuperCard playing GBA/SNES A Link To The Past, the larger 4.88" screen makes it so much nicer to play.

At the end it really depends on your preference, if you are out a lot commuting to work or traveling then its a nice thing to have, if you're just sitting on the couch wanting some entertainment a console is more fitting IMO.

4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'd grab the 3DSXL if for nothing else, the screen size. I had one, the 3D can be REALLY nice in some games, the problem is the technology isn't there yet wit they way they do it, there is a &^%$ ton of ghosting when you push the slider up high enough to where the 3D really makes an impact. Damn shame too.

The 2DS - I dunno, you can fold it down, that's gonna make for being scratched much easier, it looks rather bulky to me and the original 3ds's screen was just way too small.

I say grab the 3dsXL.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Not ghosting, stereo crosstalk.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It's really terrible on the XL, apparently it wasn't as bad on the 3DS, but I can't remember really.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I've had both - thought both had it equally as bad.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    And yet every time I discuss the 3D thing with people I always forget about this and just go for "I don't notice it" or "some games add AA in 2D".

I don't get how there isn't more negative feedback from this, unless it's a per person thing?

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I don't know. Maybe they don't push the 3D slider very high. For me, the slider has to be maxed to get a good 3D effect. Problem is, the higher the slider goes, the more cross-talk you get. If people are not even pushing the slider half way, they won't notice much cross-talk, but the 3D-effect is also very weak and subtle (imo).

I just think the technology is plagued with this and one of the reasons it never took off. I had one of the first nVidia 3D vision kits with the Samsung monitor and that had cross-talk as well - some games worse than others as it was depending on the developer, but it was there no matter what game, just more apparent in some games.

I'm a sucker for 3D. When it works it's beautiful, but the cross-talk killed the enjoyment for me.

The 3DS and 3DSXL also ruined it for me with the glasses-less screen. Great concept but being a handheld, you're going to jerk around, your arms are going to move with the game, you're going to adjust yourself, etc. Every small movement I made, BAM 3D image was lost and I had to refocus and find the "sweet spot" again. Really annoying. Basically you have to sit perfectly still and even then, hello cross-talk.

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    And yet apparently the 3D was an afterthough, added halfway through development.

Imagine without developers having to account for 3D how much better the games could look, or even a higher resolution screen.

Nothing compared to the Vita of course.

11. Fateric95

Fateric95 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 960
    I want to buy me a Nintendo 3DS XL + Pokemon X. But no money :'(
    Although I tried the 3D on the Pokemon Y & LOOKS WONDER :·3

12. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    3ds xl with zelda and then buy an r4 and get unlimited games and although i should not condone piracy they diserve it because in the pal regions they are not shipped with chargers and thas why BUY AN R4

13. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    I would go for a Nintento 3DS XL because of the bigger screen and the 3D support/+ alot of games on this system.

The 2DS is wierd imo, it's a bit meh.

But it might be really cool, you'll never know!

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    lolwat

£6 inconvenience and that's all the green flag you need to pirate hundreds of £ worth of games?

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You shouldn't