force nvstrap installation

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by loop29, Jun 19, 2008.

1. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Is there a way to force nvstrap installation, cause it´s missing on my RT2.09.
    I added reggistry set for nvstrap and copied nvstrap driver manualy into root directory for drivers but was afraid to let go with restarting system so I figured asking before doing it makes sense ; ).

regards

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

If the tab is missing, hardware is not supported and forcing won't help.

3. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Uhm, I expected as much ; )

Is that a continous trend that we won´t see any future implementations of nvstrap for newer GPU´s or is that just special case for G92?

Since the primary task for it left the house 2 years ago anyway I see it doesn´t make sense to develop anymore.

regards

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I've not implemented G9x family in NVStrap yet. Probably I'll do it in future, but that's definitively not priority task right now.

5. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Thanks for the info...

regards

6. rui0317

rui0317 Master Guru

GPU:
    5900XT to QuadroFX3000
    NVIDIA has change the structure of the BIOS strap area since G8X. They used others bits to define the PCI DEVID for G8X and newer GPU. They even used an additional bit for defining the " additional " programmable HEX number of the PCI DEVID for G9X. For example,0x600(8800GTS) and 0x61A(Quadro FX3700), take note at the red HEX number, it can not and should not be reprogramed at software level for G8X and older GPUs, but for G9X, it is re-programmable! So you can convert the PCI DEVID of 8800GTS (0x600) to the PCI DEVID of FX3700 (0x61A) for sure.

Changing the BIOS strap structure is not good for third party tools developer, any components within the structure has to be Investigated and redefined. It will take time ,even some risk. So I think that drop this task if this option is not so important for now is not a bad idea. :)

7. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Hey Rui,

how you been?

Thanks for the info, but I won´t manage to implement a driver myself to alter pci_device_ID on the card lol.
    So you probably mean taking the bios and force it to reprogram the registers for the card.
    Actually I think it would be come in good when I move to Vista since my main application (Inventor) uses D3D anyways these days.
    I will see if nibitor will do the trick, I don´t like flashing the bios though since I f**** up my fx 5800 long time ago : )

regards

8. Bluefirexp

Bluefirexp Guest

GPU:
    Waterforce GTX 1080
    hey Loop, hey Rui - i'd suggest to do the switch and choose Ati. I stayed with NV a long time now and SQ4 did a great job- but missing OGL mod-ability and only moderate Wireframe perfomance gains (Quadro vs GeForce) compared to RT's SoftFireGL speek for themselves. With the Ati 4870 on the horizon i think this will be the fastest softmoddable card by far... :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  9. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Hey BluefireXP long time no see : )

yes you´re prolly right, but as I always had horrible experience with ATI cards either not performing well in games or CAD but never both, I stayed away from that long time.

Actually now I am really thinking hard about purchasing a 4580 for CAD and DCC purpose. I thought about getting a 2nd monitor and pair up the ATI in my 2nd graphics slot beneath the 8800 GTS but I guess it prolly will give me horrible problems having two graphics driver running for the 2 cards, maybe someone can fill me in about that (user experience) :3eyes:
    And btw from a site rui is afficialiated with ( a forum in chinese ) I could decrypt that one guy managed to transform a 8800 GTS to a QFX 3700, with soldering something on the chip itself.

But my guess is that it´s either fubar or some nv guy trying to get people start soldering again their chips and f*** them up :devil:

@rui: is there any useful info on that forum that you might be able to translate and compress for us since I couldn´t figure out from the pictures which resistor he actually changed on that chip.
    Or get a RT susbsystem diagnostics report out of him.

P.S: I have a genuine QFX 4600 bios if anybody wants it....

regards and all the best

10. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    BluefireXP, please send me the information about d3d trick with Quadro softmods! I am trying to make a script for 64bit and I have currently achieved the opened prof. settings tab in riva with the real stereo effects tested! Of course, there are still problems, but maybe I will acknowledge something new...I want your trick for myself, not for public...anyway I try to deal with opengl:)
    my mail is in the scripts posted in topic related to NVSoftQuadroX.
    Regards, gellmar

11. rui0317

rui0317 Master Guru

GPU:
    5900XT to QuadroFX3000
    Hey Bluefirexp ,Hey Loop! :)

@ Loop
    There is no trustworthy information from that guy who you mantioned about. I almost confirm that the information he provided is fake.

That guy posted a snapshot of GPU-Z of his "Mod FX3700",that shows the DeviceID is 0611(DevID of 8800gt). And he also posted a SPEC 10 Benchmark with prety good results. As you know, get a Quadro Device ID is a BASIC condition for Quadro modification. That guy just chang the "name" of his 8800gt by using Nibitor, he didn't have a real "Mod FX3700". So, the test result is fake, and than ,all the information that provided by that guy are useless.

One of my friend had check the genuine FX3700, there is no different on GPU compare to 8800GT.

12. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    rui, Unwinder said they were using fuses to lock Quadro blocks... So, I'm looking of where can they be. If inside the chip cover (compound), so we are out of business unless we can boost up D3D by softmods. But if not... (I hope), the hardmod will be available. Any suggestions on that locations?

Regards

13. momoto

momoto Member

GPU:
    FX5800 moved resistance @FX2000?iN
    Permit my long stillness
    Card that was missing was discovered
    My old card(GF6600) solves one mystery and pass
    New way was the way to solution
    There is a photograph in my site
    As for one mystery this way solves it

ttp://white.ap.teacup.com/quadro/img/1215745539.jpg