[WARNING] AMD Uninstall Utility is messed up even for win 7 ultimate x64

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by DM789, Feb 11, 2013.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    wut....

2. ACMPraetorian

ACMPraetorian Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC
    I too found that if your motherboard has AMD chipset drivers, It removes them.

I tested this theory a while ago but never really posted my findings.

when I did test this, It removed my AMD USB3 drivers and some of my chipset drivers aswell as the intended GPU drivers.

3. Stalinizator

Stalinizator Guest

GPU:
    I had problems with installing catalyst drivers, CCC does not launch at all, so I used the utility and it seemed to work well, I installed catalyst and CCC launched, after it though I noticed that all installed programs (both system drive and one I use for games and such) wont uninstall due to some corruption. I'm not 100% sure its caused by amd uninstaller, but I suspect it to be the problem. Had to make system restore twice. So now I am checking out if problem will occur without me using this uninstaller.

update after 3 months of not using it.
    never came up on problem with corrupted installations of programs anymore.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. hitmaneidos

hitmaneidos Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970M
    I wish I had read this post before running this POS tool. My Windows was totally messed up and I was at my wit's end trying to figure out how to boot it again. I didn't have the recovery disk or any system restores. From now on I'll be uninstalling drivers the old fashioned manual way.

I faced the issue on Win 7 64 bit.

5. ALPINEST4RS

ALPINEST4RS Guest

GPU:
    Gbyte 7970 GHZ 3GB
    Win 8.1

Happened to me too, but my system restore point was after I installed new 14.3 drivers.

I had 760+ ACEevent logs in event viewer. All pointing towards ati drivers, the funny thing is windows could repair it. Then about 10mins later windows would crash. What I did to fix my problem.

Ran DDU in safe mode. Uninstalled drivers. Reinstalled 14.2 (what I prefer)

Boot. Run sfc.exe in cmd (run as admin)

type in /SCANNOW

see if windows picks up any files in a cbs.log. and repairs them.

SO far I've had no lock ups. Its been about 3-4 days.

All of this happend after using amd cleanup and installing 14.3 drivers. This is not a guarantee fix for you guys, but I'm just telling you what I did.

credit goes to mbk1969 :nerd:

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ive read its not just AMD drivers it removes, also removes sound card drivers etc..., best off using DDU if you want to use a cleaner.

7. RavenousSix

RavenousSix Guest

GPU:
    MSi GeForce GTX N770 2Gb
    I made the mistake of using this worthless utility with the same result.

It removed all my device drivers, for EVERYTHING in device manager.

As after I rebooted, windows reinstalled every single device on my computer.

After it did this, I rebooted and windows got stuck on the boot logo.

I went to my bios and switched my SATA to IDE and windows booted again.

Now I can't go back to AHCI mode and my SSD is running slower. I have no idea how to fix the problem.

I tried the mshaci registry fix where you put the Start dword to 0 and reboot, but that had already been set to 0 when I originally switched from a regular HDD to an SSD.

It worked just fine when I did that and now I'm stuck in IDE mode and I can't go back to AHCI.

8. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    So, I don't know how long this particular warning has been there on the AMD Clean Uninstall download page, but it specifically warns what this Utility does.

Quote:
    NOTE: The chipset drivers, USB drivers, audio drivers, and AMD software components may be removed by the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility. As a result, USB and audio devices and systems using RAID arrays may become unresponsive after system reboot. Only use the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility if the system can be fully restored to a previous state using a backup image.***8203;

Is this warning new? Or do peeps just use sh*t without knowing wtf it does?

9. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Just use System Restore, it will restore back before it is used.