Unable to load library Steam.dll

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by mr. magajj, Jan 20, 2007.

1. mr. magajj

mr. magajj New Member

Whenever I click on the Steam icon this error comes up: Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to load library Steam.dll

I have tried uninstalling steam and reinstalling it..but nothing works. Its been like this for a little over a week and I really want to play CS. If anyone knows how to fix the problem-or if you had the problem, what did you do?- please reply back.
    Thanks

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Uninstall, Restart, Install, Restart then try to use it?

Also, have you changed anything? Installed Firewalls? Programs like Peer Guardian etc.

3. Calvatronic

Calvatronic New Member

I'm having this exact same problem. I looked in the Steam folder and the Steam.dll is not even there. So I decided to download it and placed it there, but it still didn't work and it said the same message but instead of steam.dll it was steamUI.dll . THEN I downloaded steamUI.dll and it said it couldn't unload it. Can anyone help us?

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    So have you done what I said to see if helps?

5. Calvatronic

Calvatronic New Member

Yep I've tried all of that.
    Steam is originally supposed to come with those two .dll's but it's not for some reason

6. TheGerbilKing

TheGerbilKing New Member

I have the same exact problem. It's like the Steam install itself had the .dlls removed or something. Stupid Valve

7. McDaddy

McDaddy New Member

help us

yeah ive been having the same problem too, ive tried EVERYTHING from reinstalling, restarting, deleting EVERYTHING involving steam and retrying everything about x10. still doesnt work, its like you said. steam is missing the files itself for some reason. someone help us please! i wanna play my dod:s and cs, and we all know steam support sucks. PLEASE!

8. Dare365

Dare365 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7970
    Some people have had success with deleting the clientregistry.blob file in their steam folder, but if you already tried reinstalling, this may not be the solution, though it doesnt hurt to try. Maybe you can find the dll's somewhere or have someone transfer them to you.

9. 99cptsnow

99cptsnow New Member

OK Listen Up!

Me and my brother were playing CS:S one day and i was fixing My CS:S server and then i went to start up steam and it gave me: Unable to load library Steam.dll. I was pissed....I tried all these things and finally My brother went to his laptop and copied his Steam folder. He used a disk to copy ALL of it just not -Steamapps and it worked!!!!!

Hope this helps!

99CS

10. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    Steam library steam.dll

This is somewhat of an old post but it was like the 4th or 5th result from a google search :)

I fixed this by reading Finch's post. I leave Peer Guardian running all the time. There were nothing in the logs for blocked IP's but just turning it off solved the problem. There is no need to reinstall the software either, just turn it off and load the exe again. That issue is definitely something on your computer blocking that shiz though.

Thanks Finch

11. SeldomSeenKid

SeldomSeenKid New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8600 GT
    Solution / fix

SOLUTION / FIX

Allright folks, I've had the same problem. I was trying to launch Steam and it said "unable to load steamUI.dll library" or something like that.
    Well, I found a simple solution for that.
    Remove the SteamUI.dll file, it should be located in your MAIN Steam folder.
    If you cant find it, try the search engine and try searching for "SteamUI.dll" in the hard drive you've installed your Steam on.

Hope that helped.

EDIT:

Oh and remember to make a backup file of it before removing. Just in case.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009