Crytek Halted Working On Homefront: The Revolution

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    After the many bankruptcy rumors now there are reports that Crytek's UK studio has stopped working on Homefront: The Revolution as its employees have not been paid yet. New developments point to mor...

Crytek Halted Working On Homefront: The Revolution

2. Grand Master

Grand Master Guest

GPU:
    1 GB GT 240@653/1721/4050
    Shame on crytek!It must be abolished.What u guys did with Crysis 3?I remember that me and my friend with GTX 295 werent able to play this game due its exclusive support for DX 11 capable hardware.

3. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Fell sorry for the employees, but Crytek need to look back at how their previous games were supported, and at the end of the day not fixing issues, abandoning multiplayer, releasing a fancy tech demo, people eventually see through this and dont bother anymore.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Honestly, you didnt miss much.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wow .. how long until it shuts shop at this rate?

#Rysefacts It killed our studio.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Crysis is one of the worst series i've seen, with the only special thing is graphic. those game are a big fail(except warhead which was short but good).

Still shame for all those people that lost their job.

7. RNCoetzee

RNCoetzee Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 380 Gaming 4G
    Says COD fanboy...

Crysis 2-3 is pretty much COD like and dumbed down version for consoles.

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i am not COD fan, thought COD4 is way better than any crysis minus the graphic.

To my opinion, crysis was one of the worst or maybe that a strong word... less enjoyable games i ever played, suits for you?

9. stat1cx

stat1cx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    Thats what happens when you betray your core audiance, and when you think that graphics make 70% of the game (according to crytek).

10. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    I feel that this can largely be blamed on a few things:

1) Ryse
    2) Consolification of Crysis 2
    3) The absolutely appaling storylines of Crysis 2 and 3 (Crysis and Crysis Warhead, though by no means masterpieces, were at least functional).

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Crysis is a snorefest known only for its graphics.

12. medallish

medallish Guest

GPU:
    2x Asus AMD 7970 DCU II
    I kind of liked Crysis, the story was a huge mess, especially in the 3.rd, but the gameplay was nice and you could be quite creative, there was something very satisfying with using stealth, armor and strength to take down a bunch of baddies, and modifying the weapons, I wouldn't exactly call it a generic shooter, it was definitely tweaked more than your average Call of Duty game where you just run in guns blazing.

Would be a shame to lose them as they seem to know what they are doing on the graphics front.

13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I liked both crysis 2 and 3.

I like fancy graphics :3

14. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    So they are going down, because they have partnered with AMD? I don't get the logic...

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Ehhhh....I can't agree. Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead I liked a lot.

After than it just became a console fest.

Same with Farcry 1......after that...no ty.

All this hype into FarCry3 and FarCry4.....I just didn't like 2 and 3 at all. FarCry4 just looks like 3 in a mountain...so no ty again.

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i actually think Farcry 3 was the best farcry, farcry 2 was really boring do all the same game, repeat, really poor game it was.

17. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    The first Crysis was amazing.

Sadly it went downhill from there on.

I feel sorry for the employees, poor management YET AGAIN.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Mike Read, as I mentioned in other threads on this is the main culprit. He is/was the lead on Crysis3 and was/is the main guy on Ryse. He also is partly responsible for the death of CCP Games and massive lay-offs over the last 5 years. He had no experience in the industry, yet was given huge responsibilities in areas of critical company business.

He is the one to point fingers at, everybody. He is the one, and not The One, as his ego has led his brain to believe.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If Microsoft and Sony didn't partner with AMD the hardware would have been even less capable. Unlike the last gen (360 and ps3) they want to make money on them straight away. This is not possible with more powerful hardware and the prices of the new consoles. It has been mentioned (subficially) this gen console won't be around as long, and best guess if they stick with AMD is a new one in 2016. This is when AMD replaces the Bulldozer derived Excavator with a completely new architecture.

In terms of Crysis 3 being DirectX 11 only, that is fair enough. Supporting DirectX 10 and 9 means considerably more work, I'm surprised developers haven't done that sooner. If DirectX 12 is as different as Microsoft claims future games may be DirectX 12 only, since adding support fir DirectX 11 would require much more work. It would be very much easier to support DirectX 12 and Mantle than multiple DirectX versions. Keep in mind Xbox One will get a quasi DirectX 12 equivalent, which will help speed up DirectX 12 uptake on Windows PC. Since DirectX 12 will be Windows 9 or later only, it will 'force' people to update to it. It may be the case older hardware will be supported with DirectX 12 using a type of emulation (it's been mentioned before regarding DirectX 11), but nevertheless require Windows 9. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft insists PC versions of games be DirectX 12 only because of the Windows 9 requirement.

I was looking forward to Homefront 2, I wonder if anyone else will take it up? Let's hope! I'm still waiting for Half-Life 3, which you can almost guarantee will have a console version and suffer from it

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

PC gamers expect quality. They aren't going willing to pay sh!t fir a game that run's sh!t. The core things expected are that the game runs well, is reliable, looks really good, and is good to play.

Well, the current DirectX/OpenGL model is crap to work with, apparently. PC gamers can at times feel jibbed when games are crippled due to console versions, and the price of games even by download can be high considering. It's not the number of people who have pirate copies that needs to be considered, it's the number if these people that would have otherwise have bought it that matters.

Hopefully in the near future with DirectX 12 abd supposedly better programmability things will change. In many ways, the console market needs higher quality games on Windows to have something to strive for later. In effect, quality PC games can help garner higher quality console games.