R9 290 Dual screen problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by darkshadow5k5, Jul 28, 2014.

1. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    I have 2 screens hooked up to this system, 1 is a tv by hdmi and the other is a monitor by dvi.

Now with my previous card (6950) if I turned off my screens and turned them on again there would be no changes in windows, but since I've installed the 290, everytime I turn off/on my tv, windows treats it like connecting a new device, briefly disables my monitor and then brings them both back.

The problem here is that every window that was on my monitor is now moved to my tv and I have to move them back every time, does anyone know what's going on here and how to fix it?

Also why does windows show 6 audio devices for the card?

[​IMG]

2. Muchope

Muchope Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DirectCU
    Regarding the display issue, its not the R9 290 at fault but the new drivers starting from 14.0. From drivers 14.0 and upwards, when U power off a display and power it back on, it is treated as it the display was physically disconnected. Try driver 13.12 and you'll find the behavior gone.

I have a triple display setup, 2 monitors and an HDTV, and my 3 cards from the latest 3 AMD generations(6950, 7950 and R9 290) exhibit the same behavior. Its so frustrating since I occasionally turn off other displays when focusing on the primary monitor or HDTV only to experience the same issue as you when I turn them back on.

Sticking to 13.12 is no longer an option considering a lot of the new games benefit from the new drivers.

3. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense I guess since my 6950 was trucking along on 13.4 and I'm on 14.4 now.

Oh well, I guess all we can hope for is amd fixing this some day.

4. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    Same here one monitor is @ ATI 290 and other on Intel iGPU... I hate it!

ATI driver support is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!