AMD: Tablet market to be replaced by hybrids

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 14, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD UK Retail Business Development Manager Andrew Muscat recently stated that tablets are nothing but a short-lived fad. Muscat points out that tablets have certain limitations that prevents them from...

AMD: Tablet market to be replaced by hybrids

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't know, I'm starting to think of ditching my ASUS "hybrid" for a tablet/laptop mix. A large screen (10"+) just doesn't cut it for holding with your hands in the air when reading something like a book.

I believe tablets are here to stay and co-exist with whatever is coming up in the horizon.

deltatux

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, with the multiple screen sizes the upcoming hybrids would be in, I think there'd be one suited for most people; hybrids doesn't mean it's always in 10"+.

I do agree with the sentiment that tablets won't be replaced with hybrids; not that many people actually want to be productive with their tablets. =b
    And I prefer something like a Note 2 if I want to write something; handwriting has become more and more of a lost art these days.

4. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Along with good grammar and spelling, k1net1cs. ;)
    You should try reading some of the posts on Yahell's OMG! board to see the intellectual knuckle-draggers at play. :)

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Tablets got so popular because they were a cheap, power efficient, and user friendly way of doing simple leisure/casual tasks, which is what 90% of PC users want. I agree that tablets are a fad to some degree, but at this point I don't think they'll ever go away. I believe the future of mobile computing will almost always involve touch screens with a removable keyboard. I think more people would prefer a touch screen with a full size keyboard over a conventional tablet or a conventional laptop.

6. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Am I the only one to who doesn't like cloud computing? The idea of having all centralized and anyone can see want you are computing is not pleasing to me. But maybe the cloud brings it's own end...

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes and no.

At a certain point, high end hardware like the Intel Core processors will become cheap and powerful enough, while retaining a low power usage, as to eliminate the need for compromises with a tablet format.

At that point, "tablets" in the way we refer to them today and "hybrids" will go the way of netbooks and the dodo. These will be full on PC replacements on the go.

Think Microsoft Surface Pro, just with a bigger screen, much faster, lighter and much longer battery life; heck, even perhaps fold-able.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think it's what tech/arch scales and what doesn't that'll dictate the future, as everything can run Facebook and google and YouTube neway.

9. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yap... same opinion here! i only use dropbox to send bigger files or to share non personal photos.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Cloud computing doesn't have to be data processed on some server, it's currently mainly used for storage solutions where the data is stored offsite rather than on your local machine.

Honestly, "cloud" is just a fancy marketing term for something that's been in practice for decades. Heck, you can technically build your own cloud by setting up your own home server and allow file sharing with your devices, et voila, you've got your own private cloud. There are of course different ways to do it, including ones that are mobile friendly, but they're just different implementation of what's essentially the same thing.

deltatux