Samsung covers patent fine by charging Apple more!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mufflore, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, while Apple still can't find anyone else to manufacture their CPU designs with good yields on high volumes, why not, eh?
    Even on screens they can't really pass the baton to anyone else but Samsung.
    Most of the ghosting problems on newer MBP with Retina screen are from those made by LG, and Sharp isn't exactly a company which can still stand on their own feet.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That really wont matter. From what I have been reading, Apple is switching SoC to someone else in 2014.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Samsung have nothing to lose, Apple cannot go anywhere else until then.
    They are contractually bound as well, not that Apple cares about such things, but there is no alternative.
    Oops.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If this is true I don't know why Samsung didn't do this earlier. Now let's just hope if Apple gets pushed back that Samsung don't go around patent bullying smaller companies in their place.

6. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    True.

But what I dont get is how was Samsung was able to up the price on their stuff. Normally a contract like that would have a fixed price for so many years. Don't get me wrong, I hate Apple just as much as the next guy, but I just find it odd that now all of a sudden Samsumg decides to go this route.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That was my thought too, I have to assume because it was accepted by Apple that it wasnt a flat charge.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    It'd only take Samsung to get Apple to agree that pricings are per order basis for something like this to happen.
    They do have an agreement up to 2014 (for manufacturing), but when the last batch of an order has been finished, the next order may or may not have the same pricing as the one before.

Not an eye for an eye, to be honest.
    More like a knee for an eye, and Samsung aims better with one good eye, it seems.

10. mouytbe3

mouytbe3 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 670
    MORAL: Don't bite the hand that feeds you, it might raise the price on your processor.