BenQ XL2430T 144 Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Thanks for your input.... but unless you're referring to sitting right in front of it, straight on, with your face mere inches away from the screen.... my 27" TN is calling your bluff.

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Tried this? http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That is designed to show weakness of TN technology (high contrast interleaving lines).
    But it has as much value as most of synthetic benchmarks, because in real world you do not spend time watching interlaced patterns on screen while working, gaming, watching movies.

And if there were few places in game where you could happen to find high contrast horizontal lines with height of 1 pixel while gaming on 1080p, they would cover 1.4 pixels at 1440p and 2 pixels at 4k screens eliminating this TN weakness.

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's not really 2 consecutive lines problem, but a demonstration of gamma shift. They used black and white lines to simulate grey next to regular grey color. If one scrolls down, there are solid color patterns, and some of them show huge shift. I had a bad TN monitor at work once, and saw blue text on grey background - near one edge of the screen, the text was brighter than background, and near other it was darker, producing a really nasty view.

I don't say that all the TN screens are evil and should be burnt. I rather wanted to find out if there are any that don't exhibit significant color shift weakness, as I'm interested in getting a G-Sync monitor.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're barely worth responding to at this point. Some people have issues with the viewing angles due to space constraints and other reasons, end of story. You don't, that's brilliant for you - it doesn't change the fact that others do. Stop the childish tirade and get over it.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, I know that is possible. My panel shows only one big issue for me (small for those not noticing it). And that is that uniform colors with Lightness around 90~150 show bit brighter cloud exactly around point where your eyes are 90° from screen plane.
    This area is big as 1/3 of screen while looking from 80cm and it travels as you shift position.
    Therefore what bothers you is in reduced way present even on XL2420T screen which can be otherwise "calibrated" to quite good color representation.

I know that ASUS 24" GSync prototype has yellowish screen and requires different color profiles for different refresh rates. 144Hz is most affected by yellowishness.

But on other hand I have absolutely no problem with reading moving text on 120Hz TN which is big benefit for me.

And there is one thing which is quite interesting for me.
    Today you can get IPS screens as cheap as TN. And that is around 1/5 of price of new ASUS GSync 144Hz one.
    At this price I think IPS can be made with GSync 120Hz+ too and with proper backlight strobe it may not even be blurry.

7. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Does anyone here actually believe this screen has a 1ms response time? Has TFTCentral gotten their hands on it yet?

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No LCD display has a 1ms response time anyways.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hey Hilbert.

I didn't read the whole review but did you notice visual corruption while gaming which is best described as "grainy patterns" on very bright portions of the screen while in motion, for example explosions or something equivalent?

It's really hard to explain and to record but it's there allright.

10. Tabaishi

Tabaishi Guest

GPU:
    "grainy patterns"

Hi!
    Try turning off "Black eQualizer" (putting the value to 0) I think that's the problem.