memory question

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by SUnSpot, May 1, 2013.

1. SUnSpot

SUnSpot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI gaming 970 4GB
    Im new to intel, it was "waaay back when" since I had an intel rig(it was the old x-wing and 25mhz(no math processor) days).

So I decided on the 3570k and the MSI GD65 thingy(reviewed here on guru3d).

But now for the memory, what is good and what is not? I have been looking at kingston hyperX and G.skill gaming ones. 1.5v 1600mhz. CL9.

But honestly I have no clue what to look for, any help would be great.

2. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    well you don't need to buy the most expensive memory kit available Corsair, kingston or G.skill it doesn't really matter as long as they are as you mentioned 1.5v 1600mhz minimum. .First thing i will advise you is to download and read the MSI GD65 memory Qualified Vendor List and see if the memory kit that you will choose is on the list just to make sure that they will be fully compatible with your board.
    Memory in general doesn't really affect gaming performance and you will want to get 8gb minimum for a better and faster overall experience in windows..4gb by todays standards is a bit on the low side...

3. TTtimzr

TTtimzr Guest

GPU:
    Evga&Msi GTX 780 sli
    Would definately not recommend splashing loads of cash on memory, any 1600Mhz kits from Corsair, Crucial, Kingston or GSkill that run at 1.5v and you should be fine.
    Go for more than 4Gb though as it can affect performance in some games and definately will in the future.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Makes no difference.
    I was running 4GB GSkill 1600MHz CL6 and changed to 8GB Kingston 2400MHz (running at 2239MHz due to SB) CL11, and cant tell any difference.
    Gaming benchmarks show no difference.
    Get what is cheap and reliable (8GB minimum)

fyi:
    The GSkill is rated at 1.5V, the Kingston is 1.65V.
    I couldnt lower the voltage hardly on the GSkill, @ 1600MHz so left it at 1.5V.
    The Kingston runs at 1.46V @ 2239MHz with 105MHz BClk, rock stable.

Last edited: May 1, 2013

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

DDR3-1600 8GB definitely as a minimum. DDR3-2133 can give some benefits depending on what you are doing, it all depends on how the applications use the memory. Most games don't have high loads on the memory (and they're still almost all 32-bit), but this may change in the near future. Games ported from (or to) the new Xbox for example are expected to have a much higher memory footprint, so games may start to see a couple of FPS benefit from the faster memory.

It's like the i7 hyperthreading argument. If a game can't make use of the extra 4 simultaneous threads on offer on an i7-3770k etc, then hyperthreading won't give any performance benefit. Almost all games are like this, apart from what was it? Crysis 3?, but that is an indication of what you can expect in the future.

It all comes down to price. Only an idiot would buy DDR3-1333 now (sorry to all the idiots out there), since the price is basically identical to DDR3-1600. DDR3-2133 can be bought for around $10 more, which I think makes it worthwhile.