MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Don't be that impatient. No, I've even not received any sample card with this VRM from MSI yet.

2. XLR8

XLR8 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB
    Alright... anyway, I guess you should be receiving 5770 cards soon right ?

3. Unwinder

Nope. I expect 4770 and 5870 (at last). Still haven't seen RV870, probably I'll be able to squeeze some more tasty things from it for RT/Afterburner.

4. Unwinder

I've added a set of new features aimed to help those who wish to mimimze
    performance hit caused by hardware monitoring. Hope you'll be happy with it:

- Now it is possible to pause hardware monitor activity via <Pause> option in the context menu of hardware monitor window
    - Maximum allowed hardware polling period has been changed from 5 to 60 seconds
    - Added configuration file switch allowing displaying status informaition in hardware monitor window. Status information allows power users to estimate average CPU performance hit caused by hardware monitor polling and disable the most performance consuming graphs
    - Reduced CPU usage for simultaneous GPU clock frequency and GPU usage readings on AMD graphics cards, both values are being read in single pass now

5. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Very sweet :D

cant wait for this update to be released thanks unwinder bud :D your a star.

6. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    One more Q mate, did you manage to fix the sync issues

when i set clocks memory and voltage and fan speed then have both 5870s synced and click apply i find that all clocks changed and synced but the voltage on 1 card doesnt apply

i have to go into the cards and select it manuely then change its voltage ect ect..

cheers.

7. Unwinder

Changes list posted on the previous page contains the following:

- Now <Synchronize settings for similar graphics processors> option also affects voltage control

However, I've not tested it with 5870 CF myself. I don't even have a single 5870 yet.

8. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hi again m8 you looking for a 5870XF betatester :D
    i would love to be one hehe :D

i undestand about NDA ect ect.

9. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ???? :d

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    [​IMG]
    By chispy

11. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    lol, poor Unwinder :)

He is working so hard with all this software and people just keep spaming "can you implement this and can you fix that and when will this come out and when will that be done blah blah" etc and he most often replies to the majority of these post politely and courteously, sometimes even humourously and sometimes with a :bang: . I quite often laugh myself when I read some of his replies to peoples seeming demands.

Credit to you Unwinder because your a better man than I. Keep up the great work, if it wasn't for you none of this stuff/software would even be here. Many thanks. :infinity:

12. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    This is the driver that Marcus Kinc and Andre Yang used to do there quad crossfire runs. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33953249 I think it works great with Unwinders afterburner. Could'nt get vantage to work with multi card setups and msi afterburner until I got this. Newer then rc6 or rc7. Also, Unwinder... If you need any stability tests done with multiple gpu configurations with the 5870's let me know if I can help :) Cheers again.

13. Unwinder

Good news

After analyzing Afterburner feedback in multiple forums it seems like the most wanted feature missing inside the product is G15 monitoring support like in RT or EVGA Precision. This feature was not assumed by MSI and not included into development bugdet, but I dedided to include it into Afterburner anyway to satisfy the needs of users. So I'll port it from RT too and it will be added to v1.2.0.

14. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    That's great news!!! :)

15. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    unwinder.... I found something interesting. When I run the residient evil benchmark with afterburner in the background I get an average of 190fps. When I dont leave it on I get 280fps average. I double checked. It only happenes with multiple gpu's. tri fire 5870's.
    Also occurs during the far cry 2 benchmark. cheers!
    Also.. Just double checked to make sure I was'nt going crazy. It's true. Is it amd's drivers? I know they are horrible right now

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009

16. Unwinder

Don't expect hardware monitoring, software fan control automation and OSD to be free in terms of performance. Especially if there are multiple GPUs in the system and amount of monitored data is increased by factor. All these things are supposed to eat both CPU and GPU performance. So try to disable unnecessary graphs in hardware monitor, increase hardware polling period, increase fan speed update period if you are using software fan controller, reduce amount of data you're displaying in OSD etc.
    That's a common rule for having ANY monitoring software residing in memory.

17. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    This probably only irritates me but it would be nice if the installer prompted for installation of the desktop icon. Like I said maybe it's just me but I can't stand desktop icons in general and it always gets under my skin when programs install them without prompting.

Anywho thanks for the fan control GUI. Ironically I requested an easier way to control fan speed in a Rivatuner post a couple weeks ago. I guess dreams really do come true.:)

18. Unwinder

Done, G15 monitoring features similar to what you can see in RT and Precision are now also available in MSI Afterburner:

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!

19. ibitato

ibitato Guest

thanks !!!! it looks great !!

20. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    Unwinder I just wanted to say -

You f*ckin totally kick ass bro,

Don't ever think you're not appreciated, awesome work:biggun: