Haswell amost here time to upgrade??

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by tsunami231, May 8, 2013.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Specs are the left are up to date. I was thinking of getting the i5 4670 or i7 4770. Pretty sure my i7 is showing its age in cpu heavy games like swtor.

And before any one mention or even think it, NO I DONT OC CPU's

Im under the impression the switch should show nice boost under cpu heavy games? New CPU means new MB so i will final be able to have sata3 and more then 6gb ram, seeing the current set of ram i have is only set i have tried and worked right with out losing ram, and i tried 3 sets if 6gb and 4 sets if 12gb and current set is only set I dont lose ram.

2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    If you want your computer to get higher FPS then overclocking is the best option since its basically free performance. You could knock your chip up to 3.6-4GHz easily till you upgrade to haswell.

Is there a reason you don't? You already have custom cooling so i don't see a reason not to unless you don't know how and don't have the time to learn/test (perfectly understandable then :)).

Whats up with "losing ram"? Faulty motherboard?

Haswell isn't looking to be a massive step up from IB from what i have seen so if moneys a factor then i would consider looking for a good deal 3770k or even a 2600k/2700k if it's really cheap. I think microcenter have good deals on Intel chips in the US. If you want the latest hardware then of course the i5/i7 haswell is going to be the best option but imo it's priced a bit high. :\

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/haswell_processors_pricing_available.html

Is it just me or are prices simply not dropping. :bang:

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Losing RAM? Make sure you have a 64-bit OS (such as Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64).

The CPU prices aren't looking to be cheaper for a few of reasons:
    perceivably little competition from AMD currently
    • updated graphics core, which you pay for whether you use it (integrated graphics), or not (any discrete card, like most of us have on here)
    • integrated voltage regulator. This may fractionally reduce the price of the motherboards, although in reality it won't be noticeable, and they may actually be more expensive
    • help get rid of existing stock. Higher prices means people will chase a 'bargain', or at least that's an excuse for increasing profitability

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes!

Imo the biggest gem lies in Haswell execution units and bigger L1, L2 and bigger registers, also improved HT and Single threaded ops.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/a-look-at-haswell/2/

5. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Is there a reason that you don't oc you cpu?If you are not into overclocking and have any experience i can understand.
    Back to your original question you will most definitely see a large boost in cpu heavy games, and i would advise you to get the i7 4770k (if you plan to keep your new rig for 3-4 years) and hyper threading will give you a benefit in future games since the new consoles have 8 core cpu's and there is already a couple of games that make use of it like battlefield 3 and no doubt battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 really benefits from hyper threading.The reason i mentioned to get the K version which the price difference from the non K version will be minimal and who knows it would be nice to have an unlocked cpu if you ever decide to do a bit of overclocking.
    Just make sure you have an 64bit operating system and get a minimum of 8gb of ram...if you can go for 16gb...and an ssd would awesome if you can afford one to throw into the mix.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Overclock the CPU, then you wont need to upgrade.
    Or you can at least hold out until Intel have stopped shipping faulty motherboards.
    (They have an issue with USB 3 not functioning correctly after returning from sleep, which is fixed in later revisions)

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Going by your OP you seem adamant to not OC your CPU. Your loss, imo. Since you say you're having trouble with MMOs a new non-K Haswell is a no-brainer keeping in mind the USB flaw Mufflore mentioned.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yes I dont care for the risk of killing the cpu, even if a low risk, I wont OC the CPU so people here need to get that threw the head and stop telling me to do so. Even when I tell them to not bring it up they do so anyway. People here want to OC that is fine I dont, And I mention that every time I make these topics, and it still brought up. IF you gona say OC it dont bother to post. You will be ignored.

Lose of ram is due to the bent pins on the MB im sure. I talking from purely Stock stand point i7 920 Vs i5 4670 or i7 4770 performance wise on cpu heavy stuff.

If the price is right I will get the i7 seeing micro center undercuts intel chips compared to most other places and give 50$ new MB when buying current gen intel.

USB flaw means nothing to me I dont use sleep/hibernate in any of my pc's, Infact I disable most the powersaving junk. imo they have no place on desktops, laptop sure.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thats because there is no risk when going for a low power overclock :p
    Why not try seeing how high you can go without changing the voltage?

When the most obvious method of alleviating your issue is easy to do and is free, you can expect people to mention it.
    Getting annoyed at the bleedin obvious is annoying :)

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Then definitely get a Haswell when it releases, pretty big leap from our 920 CPUs .. I think at least 50% increase overall?

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    If I understand what you mean correctly: loss of RAM can be caused by some contacts in the CPU not making contact with the pins on the CPU socket.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    This.

People will always bring it up (at this forum or other tech forums or anyone that knows tech), especially since you bought all the parts you need to do a stable overclock, even a 500 MHz OC (which is not much) is still better than nothing and there's no risk since some OCs don't require overvolting since you're not going crazy with the OC.

The only people I won't recommend overclocks are those with OEM systems.

deltatux

13. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Hmmm, nowadays vcore is set at auto by default. So many people think they can overclock easy with no change in voltage.
    Further more you need to dive into forums about the actual vcore needed for an ivy bridge or sandy bridge at stock and turboboost clocks.
    My cpu defaults around 1.225 with auto voltage in bios, as per default. In reality I can run at 4.2Ghz with that voltage. But I have to set it by hand, and test it.
    And it could be that many other cpu's require a bit more or perhaps less for that cpu speed.

The performance jump will no doubt be there though, when going to haswell.
    On the other hand, there has yet to come a game that cripples the sandy bridge 2500k/2600k.
    There is non at present.

It will be a nice upgrade all the same for you, tsunami231
    . :)

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Stock i7 920 vs i7 3770K stock performance...http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=551

i7 4770 even better.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    He can still OC with non K version, base clocks 125, 166mhz + limited multi, i guess x39 - x42 max.

39*125 = 4.87Ghz

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You run the risk of burning your PCIe controller and other peripherals with a locked multiplier OC for Sandy/Ivy Bridge. We're assuming this is also how you overclock Haswell CPUs as well.

deltatux

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just give it a damn rest guys, he said he doesn't want to O/C and that's his right, jesus.

For a more helpful answer: The decision to upgrade should be based on if you feel that the computer is not fast enough for you in its current configuration.

Haswell will be out in about a month, revisit this thread then.

18. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Overclocking a reasonable amount on custom cooling is safer than running stock on stock cooling. :\ You have been misinformed if you think smart overclocking can harm your chip.

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I have to join the side arguing for the OP to start overclocking.

Or put it this way OP, you spend hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars upgrading and those of us on the generation behind you or even behind that will kick your performance arse!

If you remain adamant about not overclocking then we need to wait and see what haswell will bring.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No risk, it uses the same principal like SB-E so its safe.