GTX 780 or GTX 770? Or change camp?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MwR, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I already said that in my first post and he said he doesn't want to.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^One more voice of reason doesn't hurt though.

3. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    If that means I don't have to ended up re-install everything from OS to all my other stuff, and lost a whole week (I got my 9-to-5 job and do all house chores myself, like 99% of us) to do so, then I'm up for it. Otherwise, I'd prefer to go through that process when I make another major upgrade along with a new OS.

That said, I'm concentrating on options that involves just swap out the card and re-install drivers...perhaps add an hour in the installation time to at least vacuum the interior a bit, but that's the most I'm willing to undertake at this time.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    These days u can upgrade most hardware without having to do a reinstall.

5. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    I remember that rule still don't apply to changing motherboard...it's not the same with swapping out graphic card or CPU (of the same socket design) or RAM.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Your going from Z77 to another Z77 I would venture to say all you will need to do is set your boot order and CPU OC in the BIOS and it should load up your OS no problem.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah it does, if you move from Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD, all you need to do is unplug the HDD from one and plug it into the other. It's that simple.

The main thing to watch is when switching to a board with a different SATA controller be sure to install the correct AHCI driver first.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Call me old fashioned, but I would never do that. I'm too scarred from the age of "upgrade gremlins" that made changing hardware on the same Windows install a complete waste of time.

9. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Upgrade gremlins fine and dandy lol

10. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    That's exactly what I worry about, and I've experienced it back in WinXP days.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    XP days were 12 years ago. A lot has changed since then...

You guys are worrying for nothing.

12. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    Further reading online goes into something of a 50/50 between straight swap and re-install, although for the former it's said to first switch from ACHI to IDE and then use sysprep to prep the rig before the swap; whereas the latter argue that re-install would avoid complications, an old wisdom that stands even in Win7 era...

Think for now I stay with new graphic card option, because I don't fancy enjoy my birthday gift after a whole week of tinkering...that said, so far the opinion lean more on GTX 780 than GTX 770, am I right?

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Theory is one thing, real life is something else altogether. IDE mode won't guarantee a successful boot either if AHCI drivers are still installed.

I'm just trying to save you a lot of unnecessary time and effort based on experience, but u can do it whichever way you feel comfortable with. :nerd:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  14. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    You don't need to reformat when switching motherboards.

Just recently I sold an Intel rig to a friend and he swapped his HDD from an old AMD rig without reformatting.

Windows took a few minutes to recognize the new hardware and after a restart he uninstalled AMD related software and installed Intel chipset drivers.

He was up and running his games just fine after that. Last time I checked he still hasn't reformatted.

Note: For my main rig I do reformat every time I upgrade MB/CPU/GPU, but just for the hell of it. It isn't a big deal for me though as I tend to only have 1 or 2 games installed.

15. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    For the record, the number of games on my rig...I lost count after 20 (at least 10 on Origin, at least another 10 on Steam, 5 on UbiSoft, and more than that combine number of Japanese H-games...) so you can imagine why I am that reluctant when comes to re-installing...so it'd be good if it's a pop-and-go affair of things.

So, now comes down to these options:
    1. buy GTX 780 and pop it in;
    2. buy an ASROCK Z77 extreme4 and another ASUS GTX 670 2GB to run SLi;

Option 2 should be cheaper , but is more complicated and careful preparation needed...switch from ACHI to IDE and then sysprep, is that it? There're a thousand and one more things that can go wrong than option 1...

And how much the difference on performance improvement between those two?

PS. cost wise I just made the calculation, the mean difference of the two options are about the cost of a Silverstone TD03...

16. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Yeah you have the power supply another 670 sli would be alot cheaper. But the 780 is pretty good do u think u could wait till Oct for the 9000 series Radeon? That'll be a better upgrade unless you play alot of physx games or even like physx.

17. MwR

MwR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980/4GB SLi
    Personally I've been on Nvidia camp since GTX260 days, mostly because Nvidia seems to be more gamer-friendly and more games optimized for Nvidia cards. Not sure if Radeon have made enough catchup to switch camp now, all I know is that their tactics over the years mainly been playing price-war...

PS. Since it won't be likely for me to move beyond 1080p resolution for probably 2 more years down the wire (unless 29" monitor with wall-mounting option have their price come down enough), probably a 3GB or 4GB version of GTX 770 will do the magic? I know it won't be top of the world but by the stat I can find so far this scaling back seems to be still above my bottom line.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Radeon playing catch up? lol you got it it backwards, AMD won the last round against Nvidia.

It took a while but after improved drivers and refreshed V2 Tahiti with increased clock speeds the 79xx left the 6xx in the dust. Not to mention the extra 1GB vram 384bit bus and huge overclocking potential on the 7950.

CF support in games is still not great tho so for multi GPU Nvidia is the better choice.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Left in the dust? Hardly. Stock v. Stock, the 7950 and 7970 lose to their respective Nvidia competitors. Only through over clocking do they pull ahead, and even then with a perfect sample gpu, I wouldn't call 10% faster "leaving Nvidia in the dust". I do agree that Amd has improved massively though and as soon as frame times get fixed they will be easily on par.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Both 7970Ghz and 7950 are on par with 680/670 at stock unless you look at TWIMTBP titles.....

7990 also blows away a 690 but if you don't believe me that's fine, I don't feel like a long debate...

No point comparing stock vs stock either since many gamers with high end cards overclock. That would be like racing in the Indy 500 with a speed limiter on your race car....