Performance Counter monitoring plugin

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stangowner, Sep 14, 2009.

1. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    Thanks for clarification. Give me a bit to look into it.

In the meantime, do you want to test a few individually while running something to verify the values look reasonable?

2. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    OK, don't waste anymore time on it for now. Thanks for testing it with me though :)

Let me revisit it tonight and see if I can reproduce the issue on my machine.

3. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Gpu_busy looks OK. :)

[​IMG]

4. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I just ran a sample on my work PC (Vista 32 bit / Quadro FX 3450/4000 / 190.38) and it made it through all 211 counters. I'll try a few more times throughout the day.

EDIT: Burebista - would you mind doing one more thing? Can you download the first one (v0.9) and see if that crashes too?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009

5. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Update. Yesterday I've installed 195.39 and suddenly RivaTuner doesn't start so I've rolled back to 191.07. Maybe some leftovers remains on my PC so now I decided to go on the old fashioned way, uninstall from CP-safe mode-Driver Sweeper-reboot-install 191.07 from scratch-reboot.
    Now I have a nvlddmkm error, 3d frequencies are not going to 2D when I'm in desktop but the good news is that I can run a full 90 counters query with "sample" as parameter. No more hiccups on 31. :D

I guess you're fine now I have to deal with my mess. :bang:

6. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    OMG - that is a mess. :pc1::rpg:

If my arms were longer, I'd help you out :). But if your PC is only 2 days old.....then maybe it should be reborn again?

Thanks for the update....and let me know if you have any more issues after you sort out your issues.

7. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Yeah, it's a 15 minutes matter to install it on SSD but after that I have to spend at least an hour to install and set up all my programs and I don't want to do that again after only 2 days. :D
    Anyway now everything looks OK, your program works with any counter or all of them so I'm ready for next step. :)
    Thanks for your concern. :cheers:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  8. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Unfortunately, there is not much left for you to do at this point. I don't have a 64 bit plugin ready. So for now, maybe just use the CLI to test which counters you may like to use once you have a plugin. If you have access to a 32 bit system and want to test this plugin soon, let me know.

I have run some additional tests on 32 bit Win7 & WinXP. Here's some shots (click to enlarge).

Same 3DMark vantage test as before.....just showing more counters. Its interesting to see that the shader is reporting that it has to wait for textures quite a bit.....and most of the work is the pixel shader. The GPU test also only used about 292MB of video memory.

[​IMG]

In this test, I disabled all post processing. You can see the framerate doubled, the CPU worked harder, the shader was still bound but textures did not work as hard, the shader was not waiting for the textures and it used a little less memory. However.....watching the screen was almost painful. For instance, in the Jane Nash test when the jetskis jump down and chase her in the boat.....there was no splashing and no waves. The water was just absolutely idle. You could still play the game....but it looses sooooo much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this test, I turned some settings up. The framerate was the same, cpu load was the same, in fact almost everything is the same....with the exception it took about 100 more MB of memory???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In all 3 passes, it seems the 6 feature tests all had about the same results. I think these tests target their respective areas and are not affected by the quality settings. The first CPU test also looks the same, but the second one hit the CPU harder with the GPU post processing features disabled.

Anyways.....the 32 bit version still needs a little more. 2 or 3 of the counters I tried to add would not work, although they work in the CLI app. So once I iron that out I'll start to work on the 64 bit IPC wrapper.

9. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Nick I don't have anything to say, I'm just :eek2:

10. terrablader

terrablader Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870,HD2900XT,HD4350
    Has anyone had any luck with adding ATI performance counters in XP64? using the AMD developer toolkit? Does not seem like it comes with very much of anything

11. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Hi terrablader,

I think I may have been premature stating the ATI PerfStudio would contribute to the Windows performance counters. I had read something about the .bat file to enable the DX10 performance counters. I assumed they were referring to the standard counters available in Windows, but I am now thinking is just in the server/client app for the toolkit.

I'll try to take a closer look into this soon and see if there is anything that can be done.

12. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I found and corrected the problem with the other counters. I can now add all 76 counters on a XPx86/8800GTS/181.20 machine and all 73 counters on a 7x86/GTX280/191.07 machine.

I have edited the first post to make it a little more clear and easier to find the latest downloads moving forward. The 32 bit NVPerfCount plugin is now available there.

Concerning the 64 bit plugin - NVIDIA said they may have something shortly that would allow 32 bit apps to access these APIs on a 64 bit system. So I'm going to hold off developing an IPC pending that answer. I'll keep you updated.

- Nick

13. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Can someone please tell me what program i use to edit the perfcount.cfg file?
    Im wanting to add more harddrives (D.E.F) to rivatuner but this plugin is only configured to give stats on the c: drive. Thanks for help..

P.S Loving this plugin..

14. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Any text editor will do. I use Notepad++, but Notepad and Wordpad do the trick.

15. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    Thanks for responce.

I want to setup a gadget which monitors packets (kb's) going over my network. Which counter should i use for identifying my Ext ip address and local ip address.? and for monitoring data being sent over the network.?

16. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    You can do something like this for the data. You won't be able to do the IPs though. If you want that, you'd be better off running one of the network specific gadgets from the gallery.

17. edison

edison Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX680
    the PerfKit seems does not work with GT21X .

18. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
  19. edison

edison Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX680
  20. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    You running the driver instrumentation and launching the control panel from the start menu (not the file system) using run as administrator?

If you are trying to add counters to Window's PerfMon, then you won't be able to. This only works in XP.

If you are trying to add these to RivaTuner's hardware monitor you are not going to be able to do that yet either. Although I'm making some progress, I still don't have a plugin for 64 bit systems available.