Repeater Bridge

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Goutan, May 1, 2012.

1. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    When setting one up, do I need Ethernet access to the primary router?

Also, just to make sure that I am understanding how/what the set up is, here is my understanding:

I purchase an additional router. Connect to the initial router wirelessly. Then I can forward the connection to this router and rebroadcast wirelessly while the additional is fully functional.

Also, are there particular routers capable of doing this, or is rebroadcasting available on most routers?

Of course the instructions are more complicated, but I'll break that down once I know this is possible. Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm extending my university internet - everything is ethical :D

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Yeah it's possible. You'll want to find a DD-WRT capable router. Preferably N, if you want speed. But you can get cheap Linksys-G routers for something like 10 dollars.

Once you find one and buy it, you'll have to install the DD WRT firmware, and that's a different process for each router, so you'll have to do some research on that one.

3. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    The feature you need is WDS.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You don't need WDS to make a repeater bridge. WDS actually cause more problems since it is not standardized. Both routers must also support and have WDS enabled.

Also, Atheros-based routers do not properly support repeater bridge mode. Best to get a Ralink or Broadcom-based routers instead and flash DD-WRT on them.

I have the ASUS RT-N16 which is a Broadcom-based router and is pretty solid.

deltatux

5. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm taking this as the go-ahead to purchase a router and work it out. Not entirely sure on the steps yet, but as long as I'm not getting shafted with my purchase, I should be able to drop a few hours on the project and figure it out.

Delt, if you check this again, I'm digging that router, is that the price range I should expect? My knowledge of networking is very small, so I'm not sure if DD WRT is a standard feature. IPlay mentioned a cheap linksys - if they are universally DD WRT, I will probably just shoot for that.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The ASUS RT-N16 is definitely a DD-WRT compatible device. DD-WRT is not a standard feature and is a third party firmware. Flashing it to your router will void the warranty.

deltatux

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    There's lots of youtube tutorials up that step you through how to do this specific thing. If you can't figure it out, just come back and we can help you out.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Is a compatible devices list. It seems reasonably up to date, my new Asus N-12 is on it.

Personally, for my bedroom, I used a WRT54G. Transfer speeds are definitely less-than-stellar, at just "G" speeds...But it does get the job done. You can typically find these routers sub-10 dollars used..But I don't know exactly what you need for this project.

8. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    PERFECT! Wicked list, thanks y'all :)

If I don't get it set up right, I'll be back. ;) Feeling good about it though.