God, Google is such a peeping Tom

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Chillin, Mar 23, 2013.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They save search history by default too, I found it weird to browse my search history from 2004! lol! Switched it off and had them delete everything then. I always keep an eye on google and facebook's privacy settings. They love flipping them around.

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, just checked...turns out google thinks im on the other side of the world..i guess its where the phone came from, dunno...anyway. tracking is off here...i made my own ROM, hehe...killed and removed all the stuff i think is bloatware and disabled everything thats tracking or logging me..

@lucidus

how u turn off history? is that possible?
    Also, when u push teh home button for 2 secs, u get the history screens of ur phone display..know what i mean?
    is there a way to kill this? i dont want screens made in the background...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You have to go to your google account settings, sign into dashboard (login is to the right) and then scroll all the way down and disable web history. Damn they've made it a long procedure, it was easier when i did it years ago. I don't know about Android as I use iOS but I think if you disable this it should kill your history homescreens.

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    And don't forget to change your youtube username to your real name!

Waiting the day Google+ shares search history with friends via default settings.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    haha .. yes. Youtube was incredibly pushy to do that. I didn't let it. Anyway I don't care as I have a google account only because I made it when gmail was in closed beta and it is useful for youtube.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i found the push to use your real name abit weird.

I have location sharing turned on as i find it interesting to check every so often, and i have no personal issues with it either, so would only turn it off if it was noticeably slowing the phone down.

Google e-mail you often saying that it's on and do you want to turn it off, so unlikely anyone would have it on and not know.

7. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    :( hmm, cant find it..lol.
    where is it? on teh phone?

cant seem to find it anywhere..

nevermind found the dashboard finally...but no history settings...

i think i got it. is it this herE:
    [​IMG]

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    God, people are getting so paranoid for no reason. wtf, some of you wouldn't use your phones to browse the net? seriously? what's wrong with you?

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yep :) I hope it clears out the history thing on your phone as well.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    *puts on tinfoil hat*

Didn't you know Google is in bed with world governments? They're selling our data to them so when it's time to start rounding us up we are easier to locate.

*removes tinfoil hat*

that is all

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I wouldn't say "no reason". Information is power, and Google sure is obtaining a lot of it these days.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    so is pretty much everyone else. also it's easily avoidable. I don't see why people get upset over that. and even if I let them collect my locations and other data, what's the worst they'll do with it? think we should just accept that our information isn't private anymore.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Most people are never going to just accept that they don't have privacy, lol. And it's avoidable for now at least, but who knows what's going to happen in the future. That's the concerning part.

I think the real problem for most though is that Google feels a need to try to collect stuff like this at all.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's all about making money out of it. it's not like they are actually spying or even care. and those people who still think they have privacy should wake up. you haven't had it for years.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, its nothing more sinister than gathering data to make money.

It doesn't bother me anyway, and there no way it will ever be anything but optional.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sure your not using Apple maps

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oooh, nice

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Have you guys never read anything like 1984? Inaction and indifference is exactly what leads to oppressive systems being put into place. Now, I'm not saying Google is going to become the new world order, but think about it for a second. What if they start deciding to sell this information to a terrorist group or the government? You can't assume nothing bad will ever come of stuff like this. As I said, information is power.

It's one thing to not be bothered yourself about stuff like this, but it makes little sense to throw your hands up and go "what's the big deal?".

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, I've read it, but it worst case scenario fiction.

Life is too short to be worrying about what might happen, especially when these days Google are under more pressure to increase privacy.

The sell to terrorists bit is too ridiculous to warrant an answer.

20. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Simply put, I don't trust Google to put my interests ahead of their own (nor any company to do so). Therefore I took the initiative and put my own interests above theirs. If that means they get fewer opportunities to monetize me, then all the better. It takes little effort on my part to do this, though admittedly the hoops keep getting higher and more numerous. At end, I trust a company with the motto of "Do no evil" far, far less than most companies as I will judge them with a much harsher eye.