TressFX vs Physx

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by brutlern, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I hope I dont get that bad, I am getting a 7970 in a trade for 2 nvidia gpu`s, bitch slap me if I do

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I was just giving an extreme example. I'm sure you get my point.

Many / all of these seemed to be Sapphire cards, if I'm not mistaken. I've seen advice stating that you should stay away from those cards, as they might have had / still have bad batches. And I agree with that advice.

Accusing me of fanboyism is madness. The card I was pointing a finger at happened to be an Nvidia card. There are many AMD cards that have passed that I would not have recommended at all. 4 years ago, I had to decide between the GTX260 and the HD4870, and I picked the GTX260 for various reasons.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    your example is null and void, I was talking about 1 specific "potential issue" on a 660ti and recommending oc the vram help avoid such an issue.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Sound just like my old X1800 XT, one of the worst buys ever.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Short and sweet...

I don't like TressFX. The hair may look shiney and pretty... but it doesn't react properly. Even after the "updates" to it is still looks goofy and spazes out more then it behaves realistically.

6. WINTENDO

WINTENDO Member

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Asus rog
    Physx Rulz!!!!

7. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    ^yeah, i know that u have an nvidia card.

8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Fixed!;)

I have an FX8350 build with 2x GTX670 in SLi and though I am able to run PhysX, I don't think of it as necessary. And there may be, what, a couple of dozen games that actually uses GPU PhysX? Honestly think it is overhyped and adds very little to the game, I can enjoy the game just as well w/o GPU PhysX.

Though I buy hardware from both, I prefer AMD as I have had a good number of years using ATi/AMD GPUs and have always enjoyed them, it includes the 2x HD2900XTs I had back when they were launched.:3eyes: Though I have bought high end nV card thru the years, I simply prefer ATi/AMD. The one thing that really ticked me off about nV is how unwilling they are to share tech. Anyone recall Batman AA, how, if you had AMD GPUs, you were unable to enable a basic thing like AA because it was an nVidia 'exclusive'?:bang:

9. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Nurien hair and cloth powered by PhysX hmmm

10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    TressFX only appears to be related to hair simulation at a very smaller scale, and currently its only applied to the main character in the Tomb Raider game.

PhyX is not limited to hair simulation only, its an entire physical simulation pipeline.

Even thou I like the TressFX effect in Tomb Raider (and I got an AMD 6950 card by the way), PhyX is always better..because its got a broad definition on which the Physics simulation can be applied into..

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No other posts needed, this one wins.

Isn't tressfx just for hair calculations? Physx and apex is for overall world physics calculations, so I can't see how you can compare the two. If I'm correct in my first statement.

Physx is pretty awesome, can get you at least 10fps with. 450 gts, even more with a slight overclock.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    physx is for overall calculations. Apex is like a sepperate addon that can be used for turbulence particles, cloth, destruction, hair.

About that nvidia offered physx to ATI, there was another thing behind it, idk what was the deal back then.. Nv probably demanded some rules that ATI didnt find ok.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    enough of your same conspiracy theory you have been touting on the forums forever now. the card has been out for just about a year now, no issues with ANY games, you keep going on like its going to change in the future

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    First this is 2 differents things .. PhysX is a physic simulation librabry, when TressFX is a render, simulation method. Like tesselation and like many other developped by AMD who are include now on DirectX or availble for game developpers. There's no reason for AMD to cut, render, graphic technology for been only availble to AMD, as in reality they offer it to games developpers.
    For many of the technology developped ( like Forward+ ), they take an approach allready developped by some ( Forward method ) and then bring it compatible and usable by developpers for include them in their games engine. ( it become Forward+ ).

If AMD had keep all his developpement limited to their gpu's, it will not left many things on DX10 and 11 games... ( or it will have developped by someone else with a different way ).

For make it simple, before be brand who sold gpu's and are in competition, they are mostly the 2 leaders who leads to graphics developpement ( and not only for gaming ofc, it include CAD, 3D, movies etc ).

Its not like if they was so many games developped with GPU PhysX thoses last times.. the only 3 big release last year was Borderland 2 and Batman serie ( could add Hawken, but i dont know if we can say its a big release ) ( And i think remember they was a strategy game too, but i have forget the name ) ... ( there's many "little" games, or some who just use CPU PhysX anyway ) http://physxinfo.com/index.php?p=gam&f=gpu ( 29 using gpu physx, and we count the "good games, AAA" on an hand " since physX exist )

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013