Guru3D: GeForce 9800 GTX 512 MB - (Single & SLI) review

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 1, 2008.

1. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Are you kidding? This card is available as of now.

2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    The problem is, the 9800GTX is NOT a high-end card... Considering it matches the performance of the 8800GTX (sometimes lower sometimes higher) - to me this is not a high end card. It is just a "almost-kinda" high end card.

You get what you pay for... "almost-kinda" high end... Just because it has the "GTX" in the name, does not make it a high end card.

Going from a 8800GTX to a 9800GTX card would be a downgrade IMO...

3. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I strongly disagree with dukedave5200, how can it be a downgrade since you can OBVIOUSLY overclock it to a point where it's going to be slightly better (5-10%) also SLI going to be better on the 9800

The only High-end card to you duke must then be the GX2?

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You can overclock an 8800 GTX too, infact the G80 scales better once overclocked, don't let the big numbers fool you.

Sli however is a different story and that does look promising.

5. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP
    My Bad! I hadnt shown any interest in it untill today.

One question, Im confused!

9800GTX SLi performed similar to the 9800GX2!

Yet the 8800GTXSLi outperformed the 9800GX2.

And yet the 9800GTX outperformed the 8800GTX?

So is this a driver issue? :3eyes:

Dont see you're point!

Obviously if you have an 8800GTX then this wouldnt be an option! But considering its cheaper and out performs the 8800GTX which is seen as a high end card, then it has to be classed as a high end card!

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Almost every reviewer has said that it performs almost identacle to the 8800GTX.

A card that performs on par with a card from over a year ago shouldn't be considered high end today in substance imo.

7. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I've considered getting an 8800GTX since they are available for ~220,00€ now but I presume that the 9800GTX will come down in price soon plus the reduced power consumption will make up for the price difference over time until the G200 surfaces.

8. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    thats fair enough I guess!

I think the price is a good idea though! Although there should have been a bigger improvement!

Can anyone explain why 9800GTX SLi performs worse than 8800GTX SLi?

I refer to the 9800GX2 review where 8800GTX SLi outperformed the 9800GX2 massively however the 9800GTX SLi performed on par with the 9800GX2?

9. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Not all that much of a performance increase, if any, over an 8800GTS 512 in a single-card setup. Considering I got my GTS 512 for sub-$200 and the 9800 GTX goes for at least $300, I'm a happy camper :)

Although these cards do seem to OC quite nicely. That's a pretty insane overclock on the memory

10. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    Hmmm not that exciting really glad i got my gts cards now.

Hope the true next gens are really crazy, looks like nvidia have been taking a tea break otherwise.....

11. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    instead of getting this card, u can have the 8800gts 512mb for $187.00 to bad the deal is over for people that really wanted it.

the 8800gts is only 5% slower than the 9800gtx and after overclocking i think both cards are on par

here is the link for the 8800gts 512 mb for $187.00

LINK REMOVED - NO COMMERCIAL LINKS PLEASE

12. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Once you get into memory issues the 8800GTX will be the better card even if you can overclock the 9800GTX more than the 8800GTX. The reviews and benchmarks show this. Otherwise, stock for stock, they are practically even in performance until memory comes into play.

Also, a quick search shows that you can buy a brand new 8800GTX for about the same price as a 9800GTX.

Those two right there make it pretty clear that the 9800GTX is not really a "high end" card regardless of what name they give it. And take into account the price. Well, you pay for what you get. IMO it's not a high end card. It's a NEW card with the same performance as the last generation high end card.

No... There are no high end cards this round... The GX2 is just a single slot solution with two cards. I personally do not like this "card" one bit. But that is just opinion.

13. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Hmmz, I might try SLI :nerd:
    €240 for another GTX doesn't seem too bad.

14. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    If you read the Guru 3D review the 9800GTX does perform better than the 8800GTX, no matter how you dress it up!

And it performs better at higher resolutions also!

It may not be what people hoped, but its still a good card!

If you where just about to buy a card now, you would choose a 9800GTX not an 8800GTX!

People who have 8800's just keep complaining and its getting boring!

15. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    The other problem IS with SLI... I mean, especially for people in my situation who like high resolution and plenty of IQ... The reason I have SLI is to give me better performance at 1920x1200 with plenty of IQ (particularly AA), and even now I run into memory limitations. So, going from 768mb down to 512mb is a downgrade to me. And I really can't see a valid argument against that (though some will argue that 512mb is enough, but I disagree as I reach the limit of 768mb will playable framerates...)

16. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

bad thing about this is its no diffrent from the 8800gtx but good thing prices will drop fast on it ulike the 8800gtx wich took forever to drop.

17. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Are you looking at the same review I am? It's pretty much even and if you look closely the 8800GTX is still a better performer on average.

I mostly agree with this. But considering you can get both cards for about the same price... It would be a tough choice for me. The amount of memory is a big factor for me as I frequently go beyond 512mb in several games I play regularly.

What boring is people saying people with 8800's are "complaining"... The 9800GTX does NOT deserve to be called a GTX! The GTX (and Ultra) are high end cards. This card performs about the same as the last generation high end card. In the past when this happened those cards would be called GT not GTX. It's not the case this time, so there is a reason to discuss it.

Again, you pay for what you get, regardless of the name, it is not a high end card.

18. kadey

kadey Member

GPU:
    Visiontek 4870X2
    Just got an 9800GX2. It should be enough to run everything I want until the 10 series cards or beyond. I'm interested in what Nvidia is thinking about though, they seem to be very unpredictable now.

19. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Well, I like the memory. But I just can't see the bucks when 8800's are cheaper.

I thought it was strange the reviewers (all3) didn't beat up performance more. Sure good proce point entry (we hope!)

It does go to show how good the 174.53 drivers are...I suggest everyopne upgrade to them...it was like getting a new card! Better IQ and performance....ummm

Lex

20. bosowang

bosowang New Member

wait for 2 weeks....

I understand that, the truth is that NV has stopped their partners from overclocking the boards until 2 weeks after the launch!

But good news it that 2 weeks later you will find the 9800GTX at the shelfs ready overclocked as you want them.. :)

I am not joking, even it's the fools day today.

Bob