AMD to remove auto update feature from Catalyst drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Never use it anyway and always update before it notifies me

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's not good for users who can't be bothered to find out about newer drivers ... that's a lot of them.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

If they don't know about new drivers, they probably don't need them

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's not that easy... on one hand you have a lot of users who just have their computers and browse the web. They will probably skip the update / ignore it / call some tech guy if such popup appears. There are also gamers who don't know much about computers, drivers etc and ... auto-update was giving them good performance.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    lets wait for windows update then...sorry but noob users are not gamers neither power users, so driver update is not important or critical for their every day use.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No I mean about issues with video games or newer media players. How often do we see users complaining about issues which could be easily fixed with a driver update? It's a great feature for them and even potentially reduces support time.

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    these are not gamers are noobs...the pro gamer, does know how to OC, how to build a new rig, how to configure it properly to play smoothlike...so...these newbies wannabe gamers do not need newest drivers also...

9. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Yep, i never ever installed something like that with drivers.

10. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    I dont really know how exactly automated driver update in Catalyst drivers works but, IMO it should notify the user if a new stable version is available, checking it at least once a month./week.
    And ofc give the link to the oficial site bla bla bla.

Not having that, it hurts the PC "user friendly" reputation even more.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I have never used that feature and I turn off all the web related features after installing a new driver. The more experienced users or those having problems will look for updated drivers anyway.

I would also be very grateful if AMD removed all the 'video enhancements' too, it's a real chore having to manually disable every single one of them on every driver install. If I don't, the enhancements, if I have to call them that, make HD video look like a blurry over saturated mess.

Edit:

It's due to a security exploit. The feature might be re-instated after they have a fix. Not that I will miss it that much.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  12. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    everytime I see 'noob gamers' I think of some nerdy person playing CoD..lulz!

13. General Stalin

General Stalin Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD6990
    Whatever; Windows Update will find them for you regardless and put them under "Optional Updates" when it's ready to download and install.

I don't know about you all, but I remember when you bought/built a gaming rig and you cared about taking care of your hardware, you would keep current on hardware news or at least visit the ATI/Nvidia downloads page once in a while to check if there are new versions...

Besides, how often do all of you install new audio drivers, chipset drivers, BIOS updates, or firmware? Most all other pieces of hardware in your computer does not check online and prompt you when new updates are available; you are responsible for keeping your gear maintained. This "auto-update" thing for video card drivers is a relatively new thing so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me that they get rid of it. A lot of serious users will check out the driver performance and reviews before installing anyway.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Same :p

15. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    I like auto-update. It is like a way of AMD/NVIDIA saying that there's no need to uninstall old drivers before installing the new ones.

Plus, what's wrong with autoupdate? I'm sure you've all lapsed in checking their sites for updates and then realizing those beta drivers you were using were made official a month ago, with a slew of other fixes.

There's no disadvantage to it telling you there's a new driver.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Those 'noobs's which you once were, are the vast majority of the user base.
    Pro gamer? Who on this board is actually PAID to play games. You?:3eyes:

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

The way I see it, if you don't know how to update your drivers, you won't see any performance issues

We all see tiny little issues because we're all tech heads, the average joe wouldn't see a bus if it hit them in the face ;)

18. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    This is good news for me, I disabled the update notifications, and it still popped up every week or so.

19. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Think me means pro noob

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Aha, think again, they might have something performing like crap without knowing that it is driver related.

Some pro gamers do build and update themselves you know, not all of them are complete newbies at hard and software.
    I have 2 friends that both played as sponsor payed professionals, one of them does know a lot about building pc's while the other needs help with upgrades/updates for his rigs.
    So it varies, but sure, go ahead and keep putting people in boxes :p

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012