WildStar MMORPG

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by eclap, Jul 16, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    depending on the business model. You see in Rift you could buy all these amazing costume sets from previous raids. You could be running around looking like someone who got all the pieces from say Hammerknell. That was of course cosmetic only but I still think those people who bought those costumes with real $ didn't deserve to wear them.

I really hope all of the micro transactions would finally disappear and we actually get good games where those who put the time in, will be rewarded.

It's weird how only a couple of years ago every one was saying how the market is swinging towards f2p, and it in fact did, but I've noticed that more and more gamers are getting fed up with these f2p models completely ruining games (Neverwinter is by far the most obvious example of this). I really hope that more and more people will start leaning towards the old model where we paid monthly subs.

I really hope WildStar does things right. I will just about tolerate cosmetics, I will have to say consumables on the $ shop :/

Sure, f2p is fine for casuals, but for those who want to get into the game more seriously it's game breaking and it makes people stop playing and leave. I can't stress enough that in the last 2-3 years we probably had 30+ f2p MMOs and none of them are doing well. I would seriously take 1 proper MMO a year. That would be great.

I really hope WildStar gets things right. I will just about tolerate cosmetics, but consumables for $ would be a no no for me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just because a game has a monthly sub, doesn't mean it's going to be good. Look at WoW.... It's been bleeding subscriptions since MoP was released because the game is **** now.... In the course of 2 expansions, Blizzard South has managed to ruin WoW.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I never said that having a subscription makes a game good. I said being f2p = bad news. WoW still has more players than any other MMO and its how old? 8 years? Still, MoP didn't break WoW, that happened way before MoP.

4. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Had my eye on this because of the trailers and videos... it looks hilarious. Also the gameplay looks pretty fun too! Likely to be the next MMO I dabble in.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Pretty much agree with everything you've said. I can definitely see the issue with people buying sets that look like items people have actually worked for in game (as I feel it should be). But I do think there's space for cosmetic items that are unique to the cash shop. That said, I'd rather there not be one at all and pay a monthly sub. Consumables or weapons/armour in the cash shop is an instant no-no for me. My focus in almost any MMO is end game content (raiding to be specific), I like to work my way through tiers of content with a group while gearing up to go on to more difficult content. F2P does not cater well to that play style.

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    This is the first MMO i'm excited about, good to hear it's made by blizzard people that's a good sign(for me anyway).

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Looking at the screenshots and some of the videos you could call this a sequel to WoW, all be it an unofficial one. I just hope they strike a balance between F2P and monthly.

8. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Other than visual engine style and being a themepark it's not that much of a warcraft. Or everquest II or rift or any other EQ "clone", the term clone being used very lightly.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, spot on what I'm thinking. See, I would rather pay even £20/month for a good MMO and then have to earn everything in game. Because the case with f2p usually is that people throw $ at it and get boosts etc and they have an advantage over those who don't. f2p games end up costing the dedicated gamer more $ than subscription games. Which I hate because it's just a case of whoever can throw more readies at the game.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    me too. although if there's a monthly sub, that yields some advantages over f2p, I don't have a problem. I would have a problem if I paid my monthly sub, but then someone throws £100 at the game in the form of consumables etc and they end up having an advantage. Bring back the sub model like we had it back in the day, when gamers only had what they earned by putting their time in.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    for me too. Well, it seems it's good WoW people mainly, which is promising. combat seems awesome too, compared to every other MMO out there.

Also, from what I gather, the 40 man raids will yield far greater achievements compared to say 10 man raids. they'll be harder and they'll be a lot more rewarding when it comes to drops etc. I really hope they nail this because it's not easy to get a group of 50 dedicated players together in a guild. but if the incentive is there, it might just work.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    WoW use to be like that, until Blizzard started mucking up and dumbed just about everything down for the casuals. I had a blast raiding up until WOTLK was released.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yes, and this is exactly what I'm hoping to see in WildStar. Blizzard messed up WoW, although it is still a very fine game with the largest community out of any MMO. I think Carbine realized that they have to convert the WoW veterans to come to WildStar and to STAY in WildStar. It won't be easy, but there's hope. So far, from what I'm reading from various sources, the devs seem to care and they seem to be excited about the project and they seem to listen to the community. fingers crossed.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    If you think about it, it should be pretty simple to setup. Anyone can play the game, but if you don't pay a monthly subscription you take longer to level up, carry less items, etc. I think SWTOR has something like this in place already.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/races/

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    well... it can swing both ways. look at rift. you can pay a sub and get some cool consumables you can use a couple of times a day. or you can not pay the sub and just buy them. so a spoilt kid with daddy's credit card will have an advantage over those who pay a sub. I really hope this doesn't happen in WildStar.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Personally I would have no problems paying a monthly sub if the game is good. But, like you say I just hope they get it right.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    monthly sub is the way forward. as long as f2p players who abuse the $$$ shop don't get an advantage. that's all I want.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thanks, I'll add it to the OP :)

20. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I don't mind paying Sub for a good MMO, but £20 a month would be ridiculous.