HOW TO: Enable UNOFFICIAL overclocking mode in MSI AfterBurner

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

And I'm always repeating the same boring thing again, again, again and again: read EULA prior to blindly copy-pasting "I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it"!! Doing it blindly is just plain stupid, it is hidden that far from beginners and limitations are mentioned there not just for fun!
    Use search, read about ULPS, read what to expect from unofficial overclocking path before modifying the configuration files and only then enable it. Or blame nobody but yourself.

2. Crasher

Crasher Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III
    ULPS has already disabled on both cards. I know my limitations etc. I just want to enable the overclocking. If you do not support this card, just tell it.

3. Unwinder

We DON'T support ANY card in unofficial overclocking mode. If you don't get the meaning of text you're pasting into EULA field - stay as far from this mode as it is possible.

4. stefon

stefon Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 6850 1GB
    I did all the steps, but when i want to save MSIAfterburner.cfg file, an error comes out and it tells ''acces is denied''. What should i do ???

5. chemao

chemao Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia NVS3100
    Enable unofficial overclocking not functioning?

Cheers,

I have followed precisely the instructions provided above, but Afterburner is still limiting my overclocking speeds on an NVS3100.

Defaults:
    CORE: 606, MEMORY: 790, SHADERS: 1468

Current (limited by Afterburner):
    CORE: 790, MEMORY: 1030, SHADERS: 1910

Desired:
    CORE: 900, MEMORY 1100, SHADERS: 2500

The desired settings have proven very stable, when I can get them enabled. Previously, I was using nTune to set the values, but it's so buggy that I have to do weird stuff to get around an error that says "The values were invalid and will not be applied." This is a strange bug with nTune and when it rears its ugly face, you can't change anything. If it's overclocked you can't even revert to standard timings! It's very strange. I hope you can offer some advise how to remove the limits in MSI Afterburner. The above steps do not seem to be working.

MSI Afterburner: version 2.1.0 (15-02-2011 19:20:13)
    Forceware: 275.33
    GPU: NVS3100 - 512MB

6. Unwinder

Following the instructions is useless for you because they remove AMD Overdrive clock limits only, they have (and supposed to have) zero effect on NVIDIA graphics cards.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Would be good if there was just an unlock box like in CCC with a warning under saying what might happen if you press it, rather than having to edit .cfg files

8. Unwinder

Never, sorry. AMD's own unofficial interface is incompatible with AMD's own power saving technologies (ULPS and PowerTune) and have many other open compatibility issues. And AMD doesn't provide any support for it. We won't like to start getting extra bugreports because of AMD's poor programming. And hiding it that deep in CFG leaves much less changes for beginners to enable it without knowing that. As well as it leaves huge part of beginners unable to edit CFG behind the door.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Good point, OCing should be left to those who know how to edit .cfg files at least anyway

10. WiCKeD

WiCKeD New Member

GPU:
    MSI Frozr II 6950 2GB
    I know there is no "official" support, but if you were to consider tweaking things, you might look into why it keeps resetting to default clocks when Afterburner starts with Unoffical overclocking enabled. ;) This is on a multi GPU rig with all MSI 6950s and another one with non-MSI 6950s.

Might want to add this to the OP. It would probably help others.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

11. alecela

alecela Member

GPU:
    HIS HD3850 IceQ T AGP 512
    btw, can i still modify the voltage WITHOUT doing this mod? I ticked unlock voltage control & unlock voltage monitoring in settings yet i still cannot change the core voltage.

12. barkeater

barkeater New Member

GPU:
    MSI NX8800 GT 512 OC
    funny thing happened when I sat down to attempt to oc my gpu last night. couldn't get the bumps in core to take effect. I did a google search and came across the info about changing the cfg file, although not from here (I don't know why I didn't come here <shrug>). However, instead of adding the text as described above at the EULA line, I just added the number "1". At first my computer froze, but when I did a restart, everthing worked and I was able to adjust my clocks. YeaH! Thanks Sidewinder. Still getting some enjoyment tweaking a 5 year old computer :)

13. mySunSet

mySunSet Guest

GPU:
    mySunSet
    you can also try going into Afterburner's config file and change Enable ATI Unofficial overclocking from 0 to 1

14. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    I know this will sound noobish, and most likely will be noobish once I know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the unofficial overclocking mode working on my new rig. My current system, with a HD5870 works fine and allows me to push as high as 1025Mhz@1.287V stable on the core with MSI Afterburner, yet regardless of what I try on my new system, MSI Afterburner seems to have decided to not work.

System is consists of 2 XFX HD6970's in Crossfire on an EVGA X58 Classified with an Intel i7 990X. Edited the MSIAfterburner.cfg file with the text as stated in the this thread, but also by just adding a 1, yet somehow MSI Afterburner won't pick it up. So... What am I doing wrong here? Copying this working installment of MSI Afterburner won't fix the problem either, so most likely I'm doing something wrong, or missing completely.

P.S. The XFX cards are revision 1.2, don't know if that explains MSI Afterburner not picking up the changes.

[EDIT:]
    Don't know what I did right this time, tried it again in the same way, but it seems to be working now, altough the cards are now beeing very very tricky about going beyond 950Mhz on the core. Oh well, another challenge :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  15. Xenoid

Xenoid New Member

GPU:
    GF4 Ti4200 128mb 8x
    I followed the instructions regarding the cfg in /profiles but it doesn't seem to be working. What could I be doing wrong?

16. Aph0tic

Aph0tic Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire5770&6770 1GB CFX
    Isn't the EULA a little excessive? I mean... Overclocking isn't supported anyway.

17. blandead

blandead Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6970 2GB
    Works Great

Thank you for writing this great tutorial. I didn't know there was the option to disable powerplay. Now I have my 6970 Core at 1015 Mhz and Memory can finally go as low as I want! Temperature and fan speed is a bit better too

18. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    stay away from this function, if you even don't know why the access is restricted and how to get around it.

19. Dissolution

Dissolution Guest

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 5850 1gig
    This is insane... I cannot change the voltage at all on my card now and I have no idea why.....I have tried everything and nothing will allow me to adjust it...I have a Radeon 5850 TOP edition and I had it overclocked before I lost my hard drive....now that I have a new one I cannot OC it to save my life.

20. Unwinder

Read thread carefully, unofficial overclocking mode has zero relation to voltage control.