MSI Afterburner 2.3.0 (2012-11-19)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

When exactly? On "..." button press or on "Configure" button press when some codec is selected?

2. Franky

Franky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7950 3GB
    When I press "...". I don't get an error message, just the spinning blue circle pointer.

3. Unwinder

Pressing "..." simply activates standard VFW codec selection dialog built into OS. Sounds like some corrupted codec installation issue for me. Are you able to activate similar codec selection dialog from any other applciation with VFW codecs support (e.g. 32-bit VirtualDub)?

4. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    It is just me or gamma correction doesn´t work?

5. Franky

Franky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7950 3GB
    Just tried VirtualDub, and yes, it locks up when trying to select compression codec as well. The interesting thing is I don't think it did before installing 2.3. I'll try removing and reinstalling some codecs and see if that clears things up.

6. Unwinder

How do you test it?

7. Unwinder

I see, quite expected result. Don't think that it is related to 2.3.0 installation. The only 32-bit codec it is installing is rtvcvfw32.dll and it was installed since the very first version with video capture support.

8. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    Recording a game and then taking screenshot on a video player.

I tried all the compression methods and it was the same.

9. Unwinder

Do you understand the purpose of gamma correction option, did you use it before? Is the game you're trying using fullscreen gamma correction?

10. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    Look at the difference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Unwinder

Once again, do you understand what to expect from enabling this option?

12. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    Like the name says, correct the gamma to match the original gamma from the game.

13. Unwinder

No. Original gamma is raw framebuffer contents without any gamma correction, the purpose of option is to apply additional gamma correction if (and ONLY if) the game itself is boosting monitor brightness at hardwae level via gamma ramp LUT. Comparing screenthots is just plain wrong method of testing. Use the game with hardware fullscreen gamma controls and record movie while adjusting brightness from game, in such case you shouldn't see gamma changes in move with gamma correction disabled and should see it when enabling the option.

14. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    Ohh i was mistaken.

Sorry to boring you Unwinder.

Thanks for the explication. :)

15. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Unwinder, thanks once again for your support for us 680L owners, we are really greatfull for your support despite MSi misbehaved. Don't be confused, we are nothing but gratefull for your hard work and for your triple overvolting support even in this hard times...

Kind Regards!

16. fgw

fgw Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX Lightning
    can confirm your words. there is nothing hindering unlimited voltage control in 2.3.0! had my own tool to allow unlimited voltage control which is using 2.3.0 up and running within minutes after 2.3.0 was available for download. simply can't believe how stupid someone can be to not be able to get this going ...

thanks alex for not locking this workaround out. hope this will remain true for future releases of ab.

a happy 680 lightning user ...

17. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Hei Unwinder. maybe i missunderstood the "Framerate" feature or i just don't get how it works.
    Basic idea: Count the time in milliseconds from Frame1 to Frame 2, and then from Frame 2 to Frame 3. correct ?
    So, how does this work in the HardwareMonitoring? I've first had a polling period of 1000ms (aka 1 second) which kills the whole feature. Then i set down to 100ms (minimum).

So if it records every 100ms does it recalculate the Frametime from these 3or4 frames that passed in this 100ms ? :3eyes:

i made a Test with Unigine Heaven.
    [​IMG]

At the same time i ran a FRAPS Benchmark which saves a .csv with (maybe) real Frametimes from Frame to Frame.
    Then i edited the HardwareMonitoring.mhl took out the Frametime and created a competititve Graph.
    [​IMG]

The overal trend is similar, the peaks are equal. But Fraps has 7051 entries while MSI Afterburner has 911.

When analyzing the values in these two graphs i get something totally different because Afterburner doesn't write Frame to Frame time but instead a value per 100ms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is that how it's supposed to work? Show a nice Graph?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  18. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Hi once again Unwinder. Finally grabbed 2.3.0, been playing with new video capture optiones, amazing additions.

Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing rounding issues with my 680L (i.e: I manually enter +74mv, when I hit apply it comes down to +68m, and when I restart it comes down even lower to +62mv, and the loop continues as with previous version). I tried a clean uninstall/install process but didn´t help. Am I doing something wrong here or this is the way it it supposed to function? One difference I do notice with 2.2.3/4/5 is that now when I select +100mv it lowers to +99 when hitting apply, before it lowered to +93mv.

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

19. Unwinder

Release notes hint you how does it work. It displays the maximum frametime registered during sampling period. So it doesn't kill whole feature when you set sampling period to 1000 or even 5000ms, because yhe most important thing in frametime analysis is seeing the peaks (i.e. single long frames, which give you stuttering feeling).
    You cannot directly compare frametime graphs from FRAPS and AB because theya re rendered on different scales: frame based vs time based. But the trend and peaks must be similar.

20. Unwinder

That's the maximum that can be done with 680L PWM architecture. And honestly, even if there were some room to improve 680 Lightning voltage control further, it I'd better invest time into something more useful. MSI doesn't provide it to Lightning users anymore and doing something myself and reading things like that feedback @ OCN is a bit demotivating.