I have a strange habit when I type and trying to find a name for it

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by FULMTL, Mar 18, 2013.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    When I'm typing, wether it's on the computer or on a phone, I sometimes type a word or a few words twice in a row and don't notice it until I reread it before posting. I often have to edit my posts because I value proper grammar.

Sometimes I wonder what was going through my mind when it happens. I don't even remember typing it twice. My hands just go all over the place and when I reread it, I'm like WTF? It doesn't happen everyday though, but at least more than a few times a week.

Is there a name for this...habit?

This has been going on probably for about six-seven years? About the time I actually started to type properly. When I started to use the internet and got my first phone, I typed and spelled like teenager...or sixth grader...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I edit 99% of my posts because I don't read them before hitting submit.

EDIT: like this one...lol

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    i i dont dont know know what what you're you're talking talking about about

<3

4. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Same here, but but fortunately I have pretty good excuse. Not native English speaker and writer. Nothing to make fun off after that so sorry haters. The English is so weird language. You write one way and pronounce it entirely different. Can't blame you for the mistakes you make :D

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    It's less studdering, but I guess it could be a form of it. I'm wondering why this happens when typing and not in person?

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I type and read each sentence carefully because i don´t know english as well as i know my native language, but sometimes after post i read again and notice something that makes me wonder wtf i was trying to say. AND, sometimes i can´t figure it out and feel like a possessed dip****. So you´re not the only one.

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I do this occasionally as well, but that's because my thoughts are elsewhere when I'm typing. Especially with IM and similar, where I find myself thinking of the next sentence instead of the sentence I'm actually typing. When my head then returns to where it left off, I've forgotten what I've written and I repeat words and even in some cases, whole sentences.

I always read over my posts before I hit submit though, so it's ok. I also go back and stealth edit like a madman. My IM messages are thus much messier. Just ask Wildstyle. :p

8. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Just a lapse in concentration :) I occasionally type a random word instead of the correct one just because I just heard it on the TV or someone speaking it.

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    on a more serious note, i do this sometimes but only when i'm overfocused. yes i mean over, not under.

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I only do that if I'm being distracted by something else that is in close proximity to me, or if someone is talking to me while I am typing something.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you ADHD?

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    apparently. i have the symptoms but i blame lack of sleep. i use adhd meds only while studying and sometimes do what the OP does.

13. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yes exactly this. I too think of the next thing I want to say before I finish the first, hence sometimes things do need correcting.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah, usually when I am really tired or haven't had anything to eat.

Like right now (hardly any sleep & didn't eat) I actually had to re-write the above a few times because it was incoherent :)

15. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Reading an article on Lifehacker

:O

16. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    haha, that's what I mean!

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I think its when your hands type faster than your brain can keep up, so when it does, you have already typed the word and thus your brain makes you type it again

You get into such a habit of certain phrases that you type a sentence that you didn't want to type

I often type whole sentences and then have to delete it all because that was not what I wanted to type at all, my hands were just used to typing that sentence so often that its like automatic pilot mode

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    English is my native language and I still have to edit half of my posts due to weird typos or strange grammar lol. I've never heard of your specific issue, but who knows; I think its part of being human.

19. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    I don't type words twice rather sometimes i type two different sentences which has the same meaning and later realise it and then edit. Its foolish but true.

20. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    d: ʎɯ ɯǝlqoɹd sı ʇɐɥʇ ı ǝʞıl oʇ ǝdʎʇ ǝpısdn uʍop uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ oʇ ǝʞıl ı ʇɐɥʇ sı ɯǝlqoɹd ʎɯ :p