Forceware 162.65 WHQL display settings gone?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by trodas, Oct 11, 2013.

1. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9100 250/200MHz
    For the second time on a fresh Windows 2000 SP4 install I tried install the Forceware 162.65 WHQL drivers. (Opteron 148, PNY 8600 GT - so the older drivers the better) The drivers itself work well, no question about it, however the settings are GONE FOREVER if I disable the icon in the taskbar.

I don't need and want to the icon be there, so I always disable it. And then the display options miss all the whole settings...!!!

[​IMG]

And no, no way in hell clicking on the button bring them back. Nothing happens when I click on the button! It is just not working anymore!

Drivers continue to work:

[​IMG]

...but I can't change the settings at all! This is very flustrating. Anyone know about some older good drivers that can handle 8600 GT and do work, instead of these WHQL fails...?

Or is there a way to fix this???

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    have you tried display settings in control panel

3. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Sure, but nothing like that is there actually.
    There is JUST the control pannel named: "NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager" and not the display settings one. But man, these setting are THERE, just MINUTE ago - untill I click on the removing of the icon from the taskbar!

WTF are these crazy drivers! Who tested these should be fired ASAP. WHQL my a$$...!

4. Terje_P

Terje_P Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Stop using a deprecated OS. Windows 7/8 is actually faster on systems than can handle it. (Decent CPU, 2GB+ RAM, DX9 capable GPU)

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    At least use XP man.

6. Huigie

Huigie Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Did Hilbert restore the forum from an ancient backup? :eek:

7. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    oh god this is a flashback!

8. Stompya

Stompya Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-NTITANOC-6GD-
    :heh:

9. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    lol dat time warp

10. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I can't even find Windows 2000 driver downloads for 8600 GT.

Really man, I'm all for playing around with older hardware and stuff but I'd really install Linux or at least Win XP on that box. Hell, your Opteron 148 would easily support Win7/Win8 64bit.

edit

To top it off, Windows 2000 went End of Life July 13, 2010, so along with not getting any security patches from Windows Update (making your system an open target), no other software (drivers included) has continued support for it either.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

11. Axaion

Axaion Active Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Look at his system before you throw "use Vista/7/8/8.1" out there with your deprecated flavour of the month cirklejerk

"but i said decent cpu blah blah"

As I said, look at his system specs before you respond, lol

12. Gibbonlimbs

Gibbonlimbs Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 4GB Jet****** SLI
    Trodas I can not help you but legends share your name...

13. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Terje_P -
    Well, I would be inclined to use Win2k even on faster machine, if I have it. Right now, I don't. And these drivers should work on W2k. Any tip what to check, what to change, to get the options back...?

Cyberdyne - I hate XP :( I cannot even convince them, that the open/save dialogue will be opened at default with just the list show of files, not thumbnails. Till that I cannot even think about this.
    Maybe this get better with SP2+ WinXP, but SP2 ignore the hosts file setting for M$ servers, so another no-no...

Huigie - LOL ... man, a little help could be handy :) But you make me laugh... that counts as well!

RavenMaster - come on, it is not that bad...!

Veeshush - Windows 2000 and XP old nVidia drivers are there:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Maybe Opty 148 can do Win7, but on 512MB ram...? At only 200MHz? I would like O/C it a bit, but it somewhat does not work...

Well, I never ever did any update, security patch of something else. I use my brain as antivirus and also a HW firewall/NAT and that seems to be (together with complete removal of IE from my Windows 2000 - Fred Vorck work) enought for me. Never had a virus problem, only problems I ever had was when I click on something, that I should not click...

Anyway, some ideas about the problem...?

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If I remember correctly, the new CP worked in W2K if you used XP's GDI+ dll.

15. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    You could try a driver cleaner, like
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506

But I don't even know if they'd work on Win2000.

**** dude, my Pentium III with pc133 ram can run Win7 (tho Linux runs snappier). My AMD k6-3 550mhz can do WinXP (although I wouldn't recommend XP as it will be EOL soon too, but it's still better than what you have)

People keep telling you to dump Win2000 because it's probably some old issue that they never fixed with those older drivers. The only other thing you could try is going up or down a driver version.

edit

Or still, just say "**** Windows" and pick a Linux distro.

edit2

XP is on SP3 now. But, all of that I imagine can be tweaked. I'd bet money on it. Besides if you have a HW firewall can't you just block the hosts with that? Or use something like PeerBlock with your own list.

And again, we're not trying to push "DUMP YOUR OS", but that's probably the main cause of your driver issue, especially with that 8600gt.

162.65 Release Date: November 9, 2007
    8600 Release Date: second quarter 2007

That driver probably has a ton of unfixed crap.

edit4 the last edit then ill shut up

also get more ramz dood, max dat bitch out

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

16. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Which means your machine is probably part of a botnet and will have been for a very long time, and depending on your luck a keylogger in case you ever login to your bank online... not all viruses show something obvious, and if you have no AV you're not going to know when something installs itself through say an infected ad banner, which I've run into on even sites like Hotmail in the past, or just an attachment inside of something you download and install that looks all fine but has something in it anyway. But, hey, ignorance is bliss?

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Problem is no one can check on live system for you. And you hardly can find forums traced back to those days.

18. AltS7

AltS7 Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 650
    @ trodas
    Try to search "nv*.exe" on system drive. I found nvcplui.exe in "\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client" which runs CP.
    Well, that's on XP with driver 314.21 but there should be something similar in your case.

19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I remember that bug..

always had to have the icon on the tasktray to work.

but isnt that the reason the tasktray icon was removed afterward in newer driver and then returned later on?

20. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    The drivers are from 2007, i would bet the guy who tested these DOESNT WORK THERE ANYMORE...