Steve Ballmer to leave Microsoft CEO post in a year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 23, 2013.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Like I said, I am only one person and no matter how many laptops, and desktops I have reformatted to W7 (someone actually wanted XP back lol they liked the color hehe) that does not 100% say that W8 is a failure but I have been in computing now now for almost fifteen years and I have never seen so many people not wanting W8 on their new devices, with how bad Vista was as well I never had that many people ask me to reformat back to XP and after SP2 it was an decent OS.

Also, I never said change was a bad thing, it just has to be done right for it to be accepted.

Change in the PC world is great, that's what makes a PC a PC, its personal to you, its customized to you. Changing out parts from newer ones is one of the best things there is about the PC, you should know that.

EDIT:

I will 100% agree that tablets and smartphones have damaged Windows a lot!

here is bill gates avoiding talking about Ipad LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLUSnPB08kc

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Ballmer thought the same way.
    The thing is, desktop sales may have slowed but that doesn't mean there are less of them. Every person who has a smartphone also has a PC/Laptop.....and that's not including the commercial sector. :nerd:

One reason (just one) for example that XP users didn't flock to Vista was because a 64bit OS was unnecessary at that time. Things were different by the time W7 came around, 4GB ram was min. For those with W7 right now there really isn't the same incentive or necessity to upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Had to "fix" a W8 laptop the other day for a co-worker (his son installed a bunch of crapware that slowed an already slow laptop down to a crawl) and there are actually a few features that I do like on it but still seems a bit half-assed at times.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    He was the in-coming CEO at WinME's launch but wasn't responsible for it. Prior to becoming CEO, he had no hand in any products.

Sorry Pill, had to remove the images....lol

The reason he's retiring? I doubt he'd even actually admit to. With Shareholders suing MS for misrepresenting financial data and the possibility of an S.E.C. investigation....I'm sure the board did the responsible thing and offered Ballmer the option of "retirement" or replacement....

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Pill never ceases to amaze me for taking things out of context due to (probably) not understanding the context at all, especially with that Mary Jo bit. =b

As per your own screenshot, Pill, it read:
    Microsoft officials said that, not Mary Jo.
    So whatever her conclusion was in that article was solely based on the numbers the Microsofties gave her at that time.

Also, that article was published around 2 months later after the article that slagged Win8 sales was published.
    Hardly 'damage control', much less of it being 'major'.

And 'backtracking' just because of something Ballmer said publicly on 2008?
    Wut?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Lol oh the irony. :3eyes:
    Apparently everything in my post (and poss. most of this thread) has flown straight over your head. You're def not seeing the big picture.

*I never said the 100M figures were wrong. I did not say her conclusions were wrong, and my "backtracking" comment had nothing to do with any specifics in the article.

And yes, the article was published *just"* 2mths later. Which would be TODAY. What's your point?

Are u suggesting that;
    a) The first article (published 5 mths ago) was somehow "slagging" W8 sales unfairly?
    b) in a 5mth period W8 sales went from ~50M to 100M?
    c) That 100M nearly 1 yr after release is a good thing?

Her blog was misleading and clearly it's purpose was to put MS in a good light. It was contradictory to other articles published on the same site and around the web. That's my point.

I thought I was pretty clear but maybe not....does anyone else besides Kinetics not get what my post was about?

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think the 100m licences sold was mainly MS 'dumping' windows 8 at rock bottom prices to OEMs to help create momentum for the new OS. They knew 8 was not being received well in many quarters and they needed to do something like this.

8. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Yep, Finally.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I think that was always the plan, nothing to do wih negative press.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241867/Ballmer_forced_out_after_900M_Surface_RT_debacle

11. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Having established a UI standard that has lasted for nearly two decades, and then suddenly creating an entirely new unrecognizable UI and then FORCING people to use it, was the most boneheaded thing Microsoft has ever done.

Honestly, nothing good could ever have come from it.
    If you want to make a transition and freshen things up then you do it slowly and give customers a choice when choice is possible.
    You don't just make people quit the old UI cold turkey and make them forget everything they have learned and grown accumstomed to.

And choice was possible, there were no technical restrictions to prevent it, M$ simply just did not want to give people the choice.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    "Force" implies no choice. You actually have a choice. You either use Win7 or Win8. Where is the "force" here?

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Steve had nothing to do with windows anymore than he had anything to do with the cleaning of his office windows.

Point your finger elsewhere, and make sure they are clean before you do.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    He had everything to do with it.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ballmer had final say in product approval as well as having input into design and user experience. He had nothing to do with the underlying code, but his position gave him just as much impact as he would have had if he was writing code himself. So, technically, Loobyluggs is right. Ballmer had final say in the approval of his office window cleanings....and final say in the approval of products.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Some light reading to get you started...(USA Today is the biggest national Newspaper in the United States)

Ballmer bets the company on Windows 8
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/10/21/ballmer-microsoft-windows-8-release/1636767/

Ballmer defends Microsoft's latest big bet
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...mer-qa-ceo-defends-big-windows-8-bet/1643649/

Ballmer was an avid supporter of Windows 8 and RT.

17. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Oh so all the performance improvements and DirectX 11.2 is coming in Service Pack 2 for Windows 7? Cool, didn't know that! :rolleyes:

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol, was thinking the same thing.

They're all bastards; MS, AMD, Nvidia, Intel, EA, Google, FB. I hate them all.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're still not proving that anyone is "forced" to use Windows8. Developers aren't going to just abandon DX11 for DX11.2 just because it's being released just like they didn't abandon DX9 when DX10 was released.

20. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Wonder what MS's future will be. I have no real interest in MS product anymore. I've fallen in love with Linux lol.