My build im buying end of the month.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by signex, Jan 24, 2013.

1. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770

I would not be so sure about it. First of all, most applications and even Windows for that matter is better optimized for Intel, even thought that is the case, most of the websites tests few Games that indeed works better on Intel CPU's (current generations for Both). But that do not mean that majority of games works like that, it's simply not the case. They trade blows... one win on one game, another on other game etc.

Even when you speak about higher end i7 series of CPU's, depending if you use real world scenario, or some fictive (or real) methodology, AMD can win very easily. And if you do more tasks at the time, difference is even bigger.

So, at the end, it depends what you want. Is Fat man stronger than skinny man? That depends from much more factors.

2. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    If you do it pls let us know as I'm also interested to see them. But that would be a bit difficult to do by an individual as yourself or myself.

Do not think of it like this. The FX series you bought is a very very very good choise. You won't have any problem with it in the near future and for at least 4-5 years, unless technology really make a huge leap. I was just giving evidence in the sake of argument as I was "forced" to do so. The only real downside you are going to have at this time is the excessive consumption in eletricity.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You're worrying over nothing...besides, you can always upgrade to Steamroller later. Only thing I would have changed is the board, never been a fan of MSI.

If you want I can run some games for you and tell you how they perform. Just ask...

Can you run 3DMark11 and post screenshot of results?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    Yes I can. We almost have identical pc. Your specs are a little more powerfull than mine but I think the end results should show us a picture or how things run.

5. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Nothing wrong whit that motherboard, except overclocking, but even that is not the case, i know guys who use that board for high OC with better cooling, and it works (yes i know it has 4+- power phase).

After he do everything i suggested, h will be able to play any game at 40FPS+ ultra smooth, with 30FPS very smooth. So, it is a good board. I don't like how 2D preforms on it, but that is more Windows 7 problem (on Ubuntu or XP works perfect, and even Windows 8 is very smooth).

For easy OC 4.0Ghz, he will not have problems at all, maybe a bit more heat, but for that price, he can't get better board. Anyway, 3 years warranty, i don't think it's a bad choice.

Not being fan of MSI have nothing with it, i like both MSI and ASUS, and i would not buy any other brand, but i do prefer MSI over ASUS simply because of price (up to 20-30% cheaper than ASUS in some cases). And in some cases, to be perfectly honest MSI works better, on another ASUS do, but that depends from components more.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Well body composition has nothing to do with anatomical strength but as an analogy with PC performance (and health benefits aside) then if your body does what it is required to do then why try to improve it. If you sit behind a desk all day then being a fat knacker wouldn’t affect your job performance. However as Pill Monster and others have eluded too, as it costs nothing to improve your performance both PC and physically then why not be faster, stronger, fitter.

7. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Good point, but way off topic, it was metaphoric. Maybe i expressed myself in a wrong manner, better way to say is: "Will body builder be stronger than "normal" skinny man?". Answer is no in most, if not all conditions. That was the point, didn't wanted to go off topic with it, it was connected to the topic somehow ;).

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I was using an analogy in that our hardware only needs to be fit for role and nothing more, for a HTPC then an i7 is pointless but why not OC the AMD A10 this is ideal. As for bodybuilding then the aim is not to be strong, rather to shape the body by growing muscles to what is believed to be the correct symmetry. That’s why the guys in strongman competitions do not look like bodybuilders (with the odd exception). Strength isn’t always related to muscle size, my wife’s old training partner can vouch for that as she had less muscle size but was far stronger.
    Back on topic, buy the CPU that best suits your requirements and budget, but don’t be swayed by fanboys. If i was buying a new CPU/MOBO right now i would go AMD as the gaming performance difference wouldnt be noticeable and my video editing oftware makes use of multiple cores.

9. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, muscle mass have nothing to do with muscle strength.

I just reacted to hes reaction after others giving some sort of advice. I didn't recommended Intel nor AMD, just said some facts about board he ordered, and point is, it is great board for it's price, with some minor limitations.

There is people who play their games at low settings (pro players mostly), for them, i guess Intel CPU's are way better at this time (i said i guess, because i never had chance to seriously test i5 or above class of Intel CPU's).

I'm also not fanboy, but if i need to choose side Intel vs. AMD i would choose AMD, Intel is big NO for me, but that is my personal thing, with my own reasons etc. that have nothing to do with performance of the actual product in most cases. If there is a 3rd company, with same business model as AMD had, and it do better than AMD, i will go for that product without much thinking about it.

10. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    At 30 fps? lol

Its looking as if its going to be demanding, here's hoping the PC version is properly optimized!

11. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Here is what OP should look at if he thinks he made mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4et7kDGSRfc

Finally, someone did real math for power consumption, instead assuming that you will run CPU at full load whole year. There is also first video he should take a look at it.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Got my setup working, i have to download all my games again so i could only test out World of Warcraft wich i can play while downloading.

Everything ultra@1080p (downsampling isnt working atm) i have always 60fps+ in MoP area.

@tweakpower have you noticed usb devices radomly shut off and then recognized again?

it happened with my mouse once and Wifi adapter 4 times, i've put the wifi adapter in USB3 instead of 2.0 and it seems to have fixed it.

[​IMG]

13. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Nice, i hope everything works well, try things i suggested if something you don't like about system. About USB, i have only mouse connected with it, and it is on USB 2.0, and flash drives, but those are not connected all the time, i didn't experienced that problem, but again, we speak about different devices. I'm using drivers that come with Motherboard CD (for USB), and 13.10 for chipset (from MSI site i think, maybe from AMD, can't remember from where i did downloaded). Try to update those, and if you using other drivers for USB, try those from CD.

That's all i can think off, maybe some power saving feature cause it, try to change settings for USB in power plan (i use performance power plan), something like USB selective suspend or something.

PS: If i was you, i would disable power saving features in BIOS.

Oh, i have joypad too, all working properly, i think it's because of power saving features.

Another edit, i think i know what is the problem, because USB 3.0 is separate (AsMedia i think) from SB, i think you didn't installed "USB Filter Driver", it's in chipset driver, for 13.1 file name is: "13-1_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb.exe", that's what i have installed. Or power saving.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I installed all drivers.

It still happened one time today.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmm dunno could be the motherboard, anyway that 7950 is just begging to be overclocked....what's your PSU like?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

16. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yeah, it could be motherboard, but in that case it is strange and rare malfunction.

Also, i noticed that you use 500W PSU, can you share information about PSU? I saw all different types of problems with bad PSU, for example IDE controllers not working properly (slow etc.). I'm more suspicious to the PSU, board is new, and i guess tested.

If you can, test it with other PSU. And that is your old PSU, so it is always smart to buy new one anyway. I'm out of ideas now, if not PSU, i guess RMA board.

If that happens on both USB 3.0 and 2.0, those are two different controllers, you can be 80% sure it is PSU.

17. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    I must agree with the I5 bandwagon on this one. I'm at this moment building a medium gaming pc and all the reviews that I saw showed that AMD FX is worse than the I5 example: http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus/4 . It's more eficient cpc and uses less energy (even more when oc) When games start to use more cores, sure FX will win, but for now I5 must be best, even on price terms on my opinion. I would like to be buying AMD since I'm kind fanboy of theirs, but at this moment I5 3470 and Z77 wins for me.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    buut I could tell a difference on my 120hz screen. Who would be able to see the difference on a 60hz monitor

Still waiting on this dudes 3d11 score lol

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have a 160Hz CRT not 60Hz (1600x1200 @100Hz)....and I've posted at least 2 scores already. :3eyes:

20. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    If you prefer to play and do more stuff, and even if you just play games at max settings, FX all the way. I'm not sure why you keep arguing about that now, because he ordered and received parts.

I'm playing games at 90-130Hz, and i yet have to play game that have problems (after setting system properly) at max/high settings, FPS range from 45-xxxx FPS depending on game and settings, and it is very pleasant experience even on lowest end AMD rig as you can see from specs, but i play just a few games anyway (tested quite a bit).

Better suggest something for problems he have than arguing over nothing.