gmail account hi-jacked?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Dillinger, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    A while ago someone attempted to add my GMAIL account as their secondary address. I declined the confirmation message yet I still get their mail.

Either they've managed to use my account as their secondary or they're just using my email address when registering to sites.

I'm not sure what's going on, I recently got a personal message from either them or one of their contacts, but I didn't read it.

My email account is less than a year old and I rarely ever use it (just a few times for ebay/paypal...etc) and have never given it out.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, if someone knows your email then it is possible to send email to it. Someone probably is using your email already but failed to realise that it was taken. I'd be willing to bet that he soon realises that. Meanwhile keep monitoring your account and change your password to something strong.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  3. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    In the passed 9 months I've gotten several confirmation messages to sites that he registered to with my email address.

He's attempted to add my email account as his secondary twice in a row.

He must be pretty retarded if he hasn't realized that this email address is taken already.

PS: I've just changed my password to something strong...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Maybe your email is his old email?

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Only You should know the Password.......

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, people can be stupid and you never know how many nuts and bolts are loose in his/her head...

7. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Gmail doesn't clean inactive accounts so it can not be other guys old acc.

If you receive his/her email on your acc it means that they have access to your account, because you can add secondary email (import from other acc) only from control panel of the address you are importing to.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah that's why I switched to Gmail in the first place, I knew I'd hardly use it and if it ever became inactive it wouldn't get removed.

2 months after creating the email account this started happening. It's not like I gave out my password or had it laying around somewhere.

Maybe I was hacked? I find it ridiculous how easy it is for someone to just add a random email address as their secondary even though the confirmation to do so was denied.

I'll continue to monitor my accounts activity, so far they've been registering to game forums, betas and Minecraft. Is this person getting my mail? How do I find out?...

9. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Change your password again and activate 2-step verification so no one can ever get into your mail again (not even knowing your password) unless they can hijack your mobile phone number too ;)

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I would just close down the account since you say you rarely use it. Especially if you had previously used it for financial transactions (ebay/ppal). Just ditch it and make a new one.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yep, just did that. cheers.